Half-life 2!

M

MaddMexican

Its coming!!! I found this story off the planet Half-life forums.

Half-Life 2 First Information

Summary:

Now that Valve has officially announced that Half-Life 2 will be shown for the first time on E3 2003, all the major print game magazines are running in-depth articles on the game. Here's what we managed to find out by reading the new issues of PC Gamer and CG Magazine... (Read full news article for the rest of information.)

Full Story:

Half-Life 2 (full name) has been in development since late 1998, ever since Valve has released the original Half-Life. The reason for secrecy? They knew how much the game would mean to their fans, and that's why they wanted to make it perfect before anyone would know about it. The good part is that the game will be in stores... on September 30, 2003. It will be available through both retailers and Valve's recently launched pay-per-download client, Steam.

Half-Life 2 takes place in a Eastern European city, called City 17. It happens a short time after the end of the first game. Earth is once again under attack by aliens from Xen, and you, Gordon Freeman (now working for a secret government agency) have to save the day. Valve promises 12 chapters and almost 40 hours of gameplay.

The game is powered by Valve's in-house developed graphics engine, called Source. The specs of the graphics engine sound very impressive, and Half-Life 2 is sure to give Doom 3 a run for its money. Even more impressive is the scalability of this engine - while to take full advantage of it an Athlon 2Ghz with a GeForce 4 will be needed, the game will be able to run on a P3-700 powered by a DX6 compatible video card.

Unfortunately due to copyright laws we are not allowed to scan any screenshots from the respective magazines, but you can be sure that we'll keep you posted on the possible Best Game of 2003 during and after E3. The articles also hint that Half-Life 3 is planned as well... Interesting times ahead.

tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH

Being the Ned Flanders fan I am (anyone else notice how alike he is to Gordon Freeman?!) I must definitely play HL2.
Also since I love Half-Life, I must play it. I played most of the expansions, except Redemption and Decay. Op4, Blue Shift, yeah. That's what it's all about.
This sounds interesting. I kinda liked the whole "make it to the surface and teleport out" plot of HL. Very good. Laidlaw doing the script and story again?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MaddMexican @ April 23 2003,11:41)]Half-Life 2 takes place in a Eastern European city, called City 17
... Is it that hard to think up a decent name for a city?

City 17... Must be some sort of secret hideout for some government or something.

Umm......I think Valve has their reasons. This should be Marc Laidlaw writing the script. I mean, he came up with Black Mesa and Xen (well, Greek for Stranger, no surprise). I'm sure City 17 has to do with something secret and governmenty.

rats...i suppose this means i have to seriously start looking at kicking my current box out ta door.......

Personally, I'm pumped.  Can't wait.  I could easily have only two games in my arsenal soon, SWG and HL2.  We'll see.

Just my opinion.  That and 2 cents might get you a cup of coffe.  
tounge.gif

rock.gif

Alright, that's not funny. I had to load that page on 56k, and all the while I thought it was a real screenshot.

mad.gif

Back