Headsets

viglundr

Just thought I would post my experience with the last few headsets I've had incase anyone is in the market for one.

When I got my new Notebook I picked up the corsair H1 headset.

The sound was great, no issues there. They are heavier then what I have worn before so wasn't sure if it was the norm or if they just are heavy. The mic was very short; they really could have added 1-2 inches to it. Well using it on Teamspeak I had a number of complaints about it buzzing. If I turned it on so I could hear myself speak I could hear the buzzing loud. Tried different USB ports and it was always there.

So I wasn't 100% happy with them but they would do. Then about 2 months after having them the right ear started cutting out and was getting worse. Somewhere in the wire there was a connection loose. Unfortunately the receipt was long gone so no return.

So in January I picked up these ones, SteelSeries Siberia v2 USB Headset.

I wasn't too sure about them (never had anything by SteelSeries before) but after spending so much already I wanted something not crazy (under $100) but not horrible either. I found these on sale so went with them.

Well after a month and a half I'm quite pleased with them. A few of the things I liked right off the bat is ...

The cord isn't to long and it has an extension that is included to add a lot more length. This for myself is great as without the extension its perfect, my old headsets have been to long and that's when the cord hangs low and gets caught under the table/chair etc.

It has a USB soundcard with adapter that is included. So you can use them normally or plug them into the USB soundcard and then plug that in, it's nice you have a choice.

There quite light compared to the Corsair ones. The top looks a little funky but it really does make the unit seem very light on your head.

The mic is nice and clear and people now say they can hear my clear on TS with no buzzing. no issues with the sound what so ever either.
Overall I have been very happy with these ones.

Just thought I would post this as we all play the same game and really use similar equipment, so it's good to share experiences so folks have extra opinions when they need to upgrade/replace an item :)

PS Sorry its so long, When I started typing it I thought it would be a paragraph total :)

I've used the Plantronics Gamecom headset with 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound. It works perfectly fine, surround sound is great, and you can wear it for a long time without getting sweaty.

Currently using my new Logitech G930 wireless headset and it's amazing also. The audio quality is MUCH better than the Plantronics (although the Plantronics headset audio is good also) and the wireless part works amazingly good. Sound is the same anywhere i go in my apartment. There are a lot of bad reviews about the G930 but i have had none of the issues that others are talking about. The noise cancelling issue on the mic is in the process of being fixed and should be resolved in the next software release.

Back