HEADSUP! I would strongly recommend that you DO NOT download Alliance of Valiant Arms

AMorrii

Apparently there is a game-guard called Nprotect in the files. It's actually less like a game-guard and more like a rootkit. More info here. I, personally, less cool than a knife with a rose on it... anyways. do what you will, just thought I'd give you the headsup.

Thanks for the heads up. I had not been interested in downloading it so I had not researched it. Another player I know was though and I gave him the FYI.

According to reddit it copies a 'jumbly named file' directly onto your C: drive. Frankly, it's probably harmless but the idea of a keylogger (malicious or not) makes me queasy.

I once tried out Battlefield Heroes which installed Punkbuster along with it. I'd think it's about the same but didn't hide like a rootkit. After completely removing the game Punkbuster still ran in my memory while I had no game that used it! It most certainly did not offer to remove it along with the game and had I not checked manually I would never have known it was still there. I get a bit offended when games fail to remove useless programs taking up system resources no matter how small. If Punkbuster did this I'd not assume Game-guard is different, I'd make sure.

Punkbuster is the reason I haven't installed Quake Live at work.

...Though on second thought, I probably shouldn't be playing QL on my breaks.

Back