Horde's of the Underdark

I do now, never liked that game, too boring, and altho those symbols dont bother me like they do some people, there is too much arcane stuff in that game that causes me to not play it. as much as this may sound odd, games like the original diablo are better on that stuff then other games. now that i have played it through, there are no symbols in it, there is magic yes, but a lot less then any other rpg and its use can be avoided, and the only reference to any satanic thing is in the little bit of dialogue here and there, again avoidable, and all that is is saying to find out and destroy that evil. also, another good rpg similar to this is dungeon siege, both, imo, are good alternatives to nvn, and, imo again, are better made games too.

I did a preview on the demo and thought I made a reference regarding that from a person who played the full game

Caleb

Did you know that the pentagram had been in use for around 5300 years before Eliphas Lévi adopted it as an occult symbol for good and evil?

Before that, it had been used originally by the people of mesopatamia as a symbol of imperial power. The pentagram enjoyed a stint in Egypt before it moved on to Greece, where it was considered by Pythagoreans to represent absolute mathematical and geometric perfection. It was used by the christian Roman Emperor Constantine as his seal and amulet. It was used by early christians of that time to symbolise the five wounds of Christ.

The pentagram has by many other groups and peoples through the ages; too many to list here, however the point is you should take a pentagram you find in a fantasy game in context. In medieval times, the Endless Knot, as it was called, was seen as a symbol of truth, and was used to protect against demons. Since most fantasy these days is composed of the medieval + magic + mythology, it's fairly safe to assume that pentagrams you may see in a fantasy setting are supposed to ward against the evil in that game.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]there is too much arcane stuff in that game that causes me to not play it.

Er, what do you have against arcane 'stuff'? I myself, and probably you too possess arcane knowledge.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]there is magic yes, but a lot less then any other rpg and its use can be avoided, and the only reference to any satanic thing is in the little bit of dialogue

There isn't any more or less satanic references in Diablo than any other game in discussion, since neither contain any. I challenge you to prove otherwise.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]also, another good rpg similar to this is dungeon siege

I may have said so elsewhere, but DS isn't an RPG, thus cannot be fairly compared to one.

Dungeon Siege is an RPG, altho it contains some elements of an RTS, and just because it does not use the D&D ruleset, which many action-rpg's do not, does not mean it is anything less the those.  As for satanic references, anything dealing with the occult, such sorecery, withcraft, necromancy, etc, are all classified as satanic by the majority of people out there, and when trying to say otherwise cna bring about confusion, and all of these things are present in pretty much all of today's fanatasy rpg's.  Anyways, last I looked, NVN, you fight for some academy or something that teaches not only combat, but sorcery, and the overall feel of the game isnt one of good vs. evil, but more fighting for the lesser of two evil's, which, imo, ruins a game for many people.  Altho the occult stuff and so called meaingless "symbols" do not bother me, I will not play a game that feels like it is promoting it too much.  Consider the example of drinking.  Can christians drink?  Bible says yes, but to do so in moderation, but does that mean we go and support or promote it to other people that may fall into sin because of it? no, hence why even games I like, such as diablo, I no longer recommend to people, altho I still will play them myself.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]as much as you try to discredit theirs, you should also check your own which are as easily dicredited as mine or those of anyone else.

Nyet, I'm not trying to discredit anyone's opinion; I'm merely posting my own.

As for Dungeon Siege, sure, you could argue that it is an RPG. However, in my opinion, to qualify as such it has to contain plenty of opportunities to roleplay, and in my opinion, simply killing things, getting instuctions, and killing more things isn't roleplaying. I like to make decisions, choose what to do, how to acomplish a task (if at all), talk to non player characters that are interesting and have involving dialog options, and develop my own character along with a good story. That's what roleplaying is to me.
wink.gif

Since it was critisised for having a poor singleplayer campaign (both in reviews and personal recommendations), I have avoided Neverwinter Nights, so I can't comment on it's nuances. I hear Hordes has improved in this regard, however, so I might pick it up.

Baldur's Gate didn't suffer from any of the problems you describe when I played it. Since you've alluded to it, I assume you've played it?

I played baulders gate a couple years back on a friends pc, and ive played the Dark Alliance BG game on gamecube when i borrowed it from some from a person at my church, but found both rather boring, and most of the "offensive" content I alluded to was from the console game, as I really dont remember all that much from the pc game.  I can see your point on DS tho, it is rather simplistic in its rpg elements, but it is a good way for people to get used to an rpg style before delving into something that will take weeks of time to complete.  DS was one of the first rpg's ive played, baulders gate and dink smallwood before that, and it was easy to use, and even still, its an fairly decent game, even regardless of its lack of depth.

Critics were not nice to NWN, and from the demo, I can see why.  Perhaps if you were a D&D fanatic, the penicl and paper type, you may like it, but even then, it tries to pull that off and does not entirely succeed.  It seems to be an acquired taste for most gamers tho, especially in the U.S.

Back