In Memory of the Team Fortress Map Complex

In 2003, interest in TFC was waning. I had real life to contend with, and it was hard to fill a server for a game that was several years old.

But now with TF2... the interest is back. Perhaps the ending has not yet been written...

It seems as though the TF2 community is lacking a custom map review site at this time, so even if Jeff were to pass the torch to another so he could focus on Real Life(TM) responsibilities, I think we could all benefit from a revived TF Map Complex.

It looks as though FPS Banana uses a public votes to rank maps, rather than staff reviews and a 100-point system. Public votes might work well enough on shopping sites like Amazon, but public voting in the gaming community tends to devolve into "THIS MAP HAZ PRIATES 100000000 OUT UF 10!" or "THIS MAP SUX LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!1111."

Quality staff reviews provide much greater detail than blog comments.

Also, TFMC hosted new custom map playtests, which were an absolute blast. Considering the rate at which TF2 customs are getting churned out, a weekly TF2 custom map playtest session could be a great benefit to server admins looking to add quality customs to their servers' map cycles.

Let's just say there are rumblings in the distance. I did manage to steal the domain back from a squatter. I'm working on getting a host, and hopefully a webmonk to design the site. I'll keep watching this thread, and I'll definitely keep you guys informed, however things are somewhat in the air.

Back