IT IS TIME ONCE AGAIN!!! For the GFC Bible Study Challenge!

Proverbs 3

(Again, my posts are gonna be late in the evenings due to class/work schedule.)

13 Happy is the man who finds wisdom, And the man who gains understanding; 14 For her proceeds are better than the profits of silver, And her gain than fine gold. 15 She is more precious than rubies, And all the things you may desire cannot compare with her. 16 Length of days is in her right hand, In her left hand riches and honor. 17 Her ways are ways of pleasantness, And all her paths are peace. 18 She is a tree of life to those who take hold of her, And happy are all who retain her.

This sort of follows up yesterday. Seeking Wisdom. Happy I will be when I am seeking Wisdom. Much like the guy from the parable who found the treasure in a field and sold everything he owned to buy the field. That treasure is wisdom and it makes me happy to have it. Not just because of the benifits; nay, because of the simple satisfaction of finding it.

I like it Safora, I totally agree. Trusting God allows one a great deal of security. Much the same way a child has the security of a parent. :D

7 Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the Lord and depart from evil.

Once again, I think that at times I... well get "too big for my britches" and try and act like I know it all... This is not a good thing, I know in my heart that I am still learning, but because of the book learning I have and such... Well sometimes I think I get a big head... Just once in a while and I need those once in a whiles to become nevers...

Proverbs 4

4 Do not set foot on the path of the wicked or walk in the way of evil men. 15 Avoid it, do not travel on it; turn from it and go on your way.

This is something we were working on today with Caterpillar. I think she needs to start reading Proverbs too :).

23 Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.

Again, this is from where we speak. Garbage in = garbage out

Gen

Sorry for the short response, I have been beating the mess-monster back in the house today. The good news..... I think I am winning :D

Proverbs 4
23 Keep your heart with all diligence, For out of it spring the issues of life.

I agree Gen, Garbage in, Garbage out. However, this applies to more than just speaking, it also applies to actions and attitudes.

8 Exalt her, and she will promote you; She will bring you honor, when you embrace her.

This one is encouraging, it just goes to show, that you will become exalted for following the Lord and seeking His Wisdon and understanding....

1 My son, pay attention to my wisdom, listen well to my words of insight, 2 that you may maintain discretion and your lips may preserve knowledge.

Just imagine how many conflicts could be avoided by maintaining discretion....

As I have been reading through the past 5 chapters, a common thread has been in the back of my mind. I have given thought to how easily weeds can be planted and continue to grow even if we cut them back. In Proverbs, we are constantly warned about following the wrong path to foolishness, bad actions, bad decisions, etc. We have the opportunity to learn God's wisdom for us and prevent the weed seeds from growing.

Gen

hey guys... I'm sorry I haven't posted.... I haven't been able to get on the forums... LOL

I'll get my self caught up tomorrow. Love ya's!!!

No worries PW... :) Glad you can make it at all!

Now onto my Proverbs 5 stuff...

Lets just say I'll stick to this verse for the following reason. I want what the verse promises, yet I will not rush into it.

18 May your fountain be blessed, and may you rejoice in the wife of your youth. 19 A loving doe, a graceful deer-- may her breasts satisfy you always, may you ever be captivated by her love.

Proverbs 6

6 Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! 7 It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, 8 yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest.

This is something we have really be working on in our house - working hard and storing resources.

12 A scoundrel and villain, who goes about with a corrupt mouth, 13 who winks with his eye, signals with his feet and motions with his fingers, 14 who plots evil with deceit in his heart-- he always stirs up dissension.

and I think I met one of these scoundrels on the highway today LOL

1 My son, if you become surety for your friend, If you have shaken hands in pledge for a stranger, 2 You are snared by the words of your mouth; You are taken by the words of your mouth. 3 So do this, my son, and deliver yourself; For you have come into the hand of your friend: Go and humble yourself; Plead with your friend.

I have a hard time not wanting to help everyone I meet. This is a good warning to NOT put myself in danger either financially or Emotionally for another person. Helping is one thing, not being trapped or ensnared into something is another.

0 My son, keep your father's command, And do not forsake the law of your mother. 21 Bind them continually upon your heart; Tie them around your neck. 22 When you roam, they F9 will lead you; When you sleep, they will keep you; And when you awake, they will speak with you. 23 For the commandment is a lamp, And the law a light; Reproofs of instruction are the way of life,

I have changed my attitude of late towards listening. It seems that when you work/go to school 15 hours a day and don't see your parents... You pay more attention... I love my parents. :D

Proverbs 7

4 Say to wisdom, "You are my sister," And call understanding your nearest kin,

This is actually harder to do than it sounds. However, I think this is a great verse for those like me who are in college. (It still applies if you are not. :D)

7 And saw among the simple, I perceived among the youths, A young man devoid of understanding,

This is a warning to me to not be deviod of understanding. Being young I need to go to my parents and elders for advice on how to do what is best in each circumstance.

(P.S. W00T Beat Gen to posting today. :p )

So I am a little Late:

Proverbs 7

I have read this chapter each day for the past 4 days and have not found anything jumping out at me. I know that I need to pay attention to wisdom, but nothing is really jumping out at me.

Proverbs 8

19 My fruit is better than fine gold; what I yield surpasses choice silver.

Positive ROI is a good thing

36 But whoever fails to find me harms himself; all who hate me love death."

Proverbs 9

10 "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.

This one is personal right now

Proverbs 10

25 When the storm has swept by, the wicked are gone, but the righteous stand firm forever.
Persevere through the storms.....

30 The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, and he who wins souls is wise.

This verse reflects something that happened in my life not that long ago. I was engaged in a discussion with a non-believer regarding faith and God. The discussion was very challenging at times. It wasn't until I applied God's wisdom and truth that the conversation changed. I think the gentleman was convicted because he got very agitated when I changed my tactics.

Gen

Ok.... I need to catchup so here's what I'm going to do...
I'll do todays:
Proverb 12:9
Better to be a nobody and yet have a servant than pretend to be somebody and have no food.

This cracks me up, concidering I see this a lot in America. I think Dave Ramsey would love this Porverb too. This is the one that tells me, no more credit.

MAKEUP!

Proverb 1:32
For simpletons turn away from me—to death. Fools are destroyed by their own complacency.

I know that I can be simple-minded sometimes and I know that I can be foolish, but I also know that I don't fall into these catagories. I can't stand complacency, and to be honest I haven't known complacency for the last 8 years. Thank God I am not in the same spot I use to be.

Proverbs 12

4 A wife of noble character is her husband's crown, but a disgraceful wife is like decay in his bones.

/ponder - does the husband set the noble characteristics or are they later defined in Proverbs

11 He who works his land will have abundant food, but he who chases fantasies lacks judgment.

/ponder - he who keeps the house clean will have peace in the house....

15 The way of a fool seems right to him, but a wise man listens to advice.

must keep this in mind tomorrow when I have my review :)

OK catchup:
Proverb 2:21 For the upright will live in the land,
and the blameless will remain in it
- I love this as a small reminder that we who are blameless from Christ's sacrafice will remain where He has placed us.

Proverb 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
- I know my understanding is so small, I have no choice but to trust. Thank you God that I am not with Your guidance.

OK Now for current:
Proverb 13:24 He who spares the rod hates his son,
but he who loves him is careful to discipline him.
- I will stand on this verse for the rest of my life. I think this is an explanation why our country is the way it is.

Proverb 14:26 He who fears the LORD has a secure fortress,
and for his children it will be a refuge.
- I love how this verse shows that if we walk in the Lord, our children can trust in Him as well, just from our walk. I love it.

:D

Now I feel bad Cause I have missed posting....

Proverbs 14

29 He who is slow to wrath has great understanding, But he who is impulsive exalts folly.

Most times I am not slow to wrath, instead I jump ahead impulsively to try and get something done or take care of a situation.

35 The king's favor is toward a wise servant, But his wrath is against him who causes shame.

So by being wise and applying the knowledge learned from Proverbs, I gain the King of Kings favor.... Sounds pretty good to me!

I think I need to memorize all of Proverbs

P-13
19 A longing fulfilled is sweet to the soul, but fools detest turning from evil.

P-14
10 Each heart knows its own bitterness, and no one else can share its joy.

This one ties into my other quoted passage because a longing unfulfilled can bring bitterness.

33 Wisdom reposes in the heart of the discerning and even among fools she lets herself be known.

I just like this one. It is a bit difficult to type out why I like it, but there is a reason

So, I am a few days behind.....oops

I am going to get caught up. It's been interesting during the exercise. I have not been so challenged to used wisdom and discerment in the past as I have during this recent challenge. I may not have used it successfully all of the time, but the opportunities have been there. Most of these verses are pretty personal right now, so I am not going to share too much. These are ones that really stand out to me right now.

Proverbs 15
10 Stern discipline awaits him who leaves the path; he who hates correction will die.

14 The discerning heart seeks knowledge, but the mouth of a fool feeds on folly.

30 A cheerful look brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones.

LOL, this is one of my objectives for 2007. Not written this way, but the same idea.

33 The fear of the Lord teaches a man wisdom, and humility comes before honor.

Proverbs 16
16 How much better to get wisdom than gold, to choose understanding rather than silver!

25 There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death.

Proverbs 17

14 Starting a quarrel is like breaching a dam; so drop the matter before a dispute breaks out.

28 Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue.

Proverbs 18

2 A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

17 The first to present his case seems right, till another comes forward and questions him.

Gen

Good verses Gen!

Now for mine... Yes I have missed a couple days... :(

15 Laziness casts one into a deep sleep, And an idle person will suffer hunger.

This is a good warning to me since I want to slack off and not do my homework today.... I need to not be lazy and to get my homework done.

29 Judgments are prepared for scoffers, And beatings for the backs of fools.

Makes me say hmmm..... Imagine how all those who did not beleive in Christ are going to feel if they are fools... In hell....

20 Listen to counsel and receive instruction, That you may be wise in your latter days.

I sure I am listening and recieving... Cause I am already getting called by people for my wisdom and advice... I better keep listening cause I don't want to ever lead my friends astray when they ask for it!

God bless till next time!

Back