Jan. 27, 2004

Kidan

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Do not worry about your life . . .
—Matthew 6:25

Full Verse, in Context:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]"No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth. 25 "For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? 26 "Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they? 27 "And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]A warning which needs to be repeated is that "the cares of this world and the deceitfulness of riches," and the lust for other things, will choke out the life of God in us ( Matthew 13:22 ). We are never free from the recurring waves of this invasion. If the frontline of attack is not about clothes and food, it may be about money or the lack of money; or friends or lack of friends; or the line may be drawn over difficult circumstances. It is one steady invasion, and these things will come in like a flood, unless we allow the Spirit of God to raise up the banner against it.

"I say to you, do not worry about your life . . . ." Our Lord says to be careful only about one thing-our relationship to Him. But our common sense shouts loudly and says, "That is absurd, I must consider how I am going to live, and I must consider what I am going to eat and drink." Jesus says you must not. Beware of allowing yourself to think that He says this while not understanding your circumstances. Jesus Christ knows our circumstances better than we do, and He says we must not think about these things to the point where they become the primary concern of our life. Whenever there are competing concerns in your life, be sure you always put your relationship to God first.

"Sufficient for the day is its own trouble" ( Matthew 6:34 ). How much trouble has begun to threaten you today? What kind of mean little demons have been looking into your life and saying, "What are your plans for next month—or next summer?" Jesus tells us not to worry about any of these things. Look again and think. Keep your mind on the "much more" of your heavenly Father ( Matthew 6:30 ).

I've seen people use these section of scriptures to approve their wasteful ways. Where they don't plan for the future. Where they don't save for retirement. I've even seen so-called ministers (who did not have their own church) use this scripture, to attempt to SHAME church-goers into paying airfare, for a unecessary trip, for their friend.

While yes we should put God and Christ first in al things, this does not mean to forgo the business of planning for the future. In fact, for me to not plan for the future (with God's guidance and plenty of prayer on my part) I would personally consider a sin. It could potentially leave my wife without a source of income should I die. It could potentially leave my son with a large debt to cover the expenses associated with a person's death. There are all sorts of issues that need to be addressed, especially in today's soceity. Yet for all this, we should still place Christ first.

What these verses espouse is not a total disregard for planning for the future, but rather not letting that potential future become the end-all and be-all of your day. Matt. 6:24 says that a person cannot serve two masters. So if you spend all your time and energy trying to plan for the future, how then can you serve Christ? No planning for the future, and all things we do, should be ancillary quests that we do, because it potentially takes care of our family. Our first and primary goal in this life should always be to serve Christ and live our lives according to His wishes.

Think on your life today. What things are you serving. How much time do you spend praying compared to playing video games? How much time do you spend reading your Bible compared to reading your school books? Think on these things, and consider, am I truly serving the Lord, when I spend so little time in service to Him?

bump. I ruined the natural order again.
tounge.gif

Back