Jan. 28, 2004

Kidan

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?
—Acts 26:14

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Are you determined to have your own way in living for God? We will never be free from this trap until we are brought into the experience of the baptism of "the Holy Spirit and fire" (Matthew 3:11). Stubbornness and self-will will always stab Jesus Christ. It may hurt no one else, but it wounds His Spirit. Whenever we are obstinate and self-willed and set on our own ambitions, we are hurting Jesus. Every time we stand on our own rights and insist that this is what we intend to do, we are persecuting Him. Whenever we rely on self-respect, we systematically disturb and grieve His Spirit. And when we finally understand that it is Jesus we have been persecuting all this time, it is the most crushing revelation ever.

Is the Word of God tremendously penetrating and sharp in me as I hand it on to you, or does my life betray the things I profess to teach? I may teach sanctification and yet exhibit the spirit of Satan, the very spirit that persecutes Jesus Christ. The Spirit of Jesus is conscious of only one thing—a perfect oneness with the Father. And He tells us, "Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls" ( Matthew 11:29 ). All I do should be based on a perfect oneness with Him, not on a self-willed determination to be godly. This will mean that others may use me, go around me, or completely ignore me, but if I will submit to it for His sake, I will prevent Jesus Christ from being persecuted.

In today's age of worries over self-esteem, self-worth, and thinking 'good' about yourself.  This devotional hits home.  Hard.

As in all things the world wishes for you to do, this constant yelling by psychologist and other 'experts' about the need for overtly high self-esteem is damaging to your walk with the Lord.  We should be humble, and in service to Him.  Throughout the Bible, pride is described as foolish and sinful, yet in today's society it's a defining characterstic of so many.  How often have you heard someone say 'Wow, he has such high self-esteem!"  and mean it as a compliment?  

Often the way I act has been confused with low self-esteem.  This may sound like bragging, but I'm trying to make a point.  I often let people walk over me, I avoid confrontations if possible, I don't puff myself up in any way.  Yet I consistently feel good about myself.  All the actions I do, appear as low self-esteem, and I was often told this by various professionals in the school system. Yet I feel good about myself.  How do those two seemingly differing statements coexist?  It's simple, I've taken the yoke of Christ.  

I've realized that how I act and what I do, should not be at my direction, but I should seek the Lord's will in ALL I do first.  I prayed for a wife, before I ever meet the girl I married.  I prayed for a job, and once I was offered one, I prayed over taking it (even though, the lack of a job had placed me the closest I've ever come to full-blown depression).  If I had felt that it was not God's will for me to have this job, I wouldn't have done it.  Irregardless of my emotional state.  Why?  Because I trust the Lord to walk me through everything He leads me to.

Just remember today, pride has no place in a Christian's life.  Are we to love ourselves?  Of course, for Christ loves us, and we are told to love everyone.  Yet we can feel good about ourselves, be happy, love ourselves even, and still exhibit those wonderful signs of low self-esteem, that were at one time called humility.

What of fighting for Christ, as a warrior for God?  Not in the sense of an actual, physical fighter, but a strong pillar, standing for God, powerfully spreading the message of the Cross.

Acts 26:14 is part of the account of Paul speaking of his conversion outside Damascus.  When Paul gave up his earthly task to carry out Heaven's call, he was transformed into something much better than what he was.  When he heard and heeded God's call, he did a complete 180 in his faith, turning from someone who imprisoned Christians, and persecuted them (in Acts 26:1-11), into someone who founded churches in cities all along the Mediterranean, spanning thousands of miles.  I think this is a call to humble yourself before God moreso than a call to humble yourself before other men, especially considering the theme of building our relationship with Christ that has been stressed up to this point.

In the third section of the Acts 26, Paul states, directly, that "[he] was not disobedient to the Heavenly vision, but declared first to those in Damascus and in Jerusalem, and throughout all the region of Judea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent, turn to God, and do works befitting repentance."
Paul submitted himself to God and then went about spreading the great news, the Gospel which he had recieved, as he could not keep it to himself; Paul was obliged to bring people to God. Paul did great things, so much that we view him as one of the premier characters of the Bible. But none of this would have been possible without surrendering himself to God on the road to Damascus. When Paul relied on his own devices, he was the perfect example of an antichrist. When he turned to God, he was lifted up in Him, and his previous aggressions were erased from record.

Such should it be with our walk with Christ, and our faith in God.

This is my way of parsing the message for my personal understanding. I wish some people would be active in this board so we could discuss some of this stuff, but everyone's busy, or doesn't feel like posting in here. =/

Back