Jedi academy

SSquared

Hot diggity!  Yeehoo!  Oh yeah!!!!!

LucasArts announced today they are releasing the next in the series of Jedi Knight games.  It's called Jedi Academy and is due out in Fall.  Can you tell I'm ecstatic?  Strange, though, that it's set for the same release as Knights of the Old Republic.  I sure hope they aren't canning KotOR for PC.

It sounds like an FPS, but with some RPG aspects (create your own lightsaber (single/dual), clothing, appearance, what skills you want to learn, choose light/dark side, etc.  The screenshots look very action oriented.

Check it out at the official site.

it looks like a second-quarter view (from behind)...not FPS. Craptastic.
And...it's just lightsabers? ONLY?! And tell me it's not like that whole Jacen, Jaina, Anakin crap they pulled with the New Jedi Order: ANakin dies, one of the twins goes Dark Side...yatta yatta yatta.
BUt I might check it out.

first of all: It seems like its just a remake of any "saber only" games from JKI and JKII, only cooler.

Second of all: saber/force only kicks arse. sword fighting games are what I live for. (well, besides all other games).

It looks pretty sweet.

Yah, customization is not a big deal as it was in the first one, and most likley the second. I don't see it as different, but it definitly looks cool.

Ultima, in both Jedi Knight and Jedi Outcast, you switch to 3rd person view when using the lightsaber. I would hope since it is along the lines of the Jedi series, it would remain as an FPS. Especially for the MP part. But, you are right, nothing in the release announcement said it was specifically an FPS. And 9 of the 10 pictures were 3rd person.

SirLagalott, Jedi Knight you were able to choose whether you wanted to be a light or dark Jedi. Jedi Outcast you were not.

I don't think the game is saber-only. The announcement mentioned a few other weapons as well. But if it's anything like Jedi Outcast, once you get the saber, you can basically forget about the other weapons.

GAH! BURN THE NEW JEDI ORDER SERIES!

I will completely disown LucasArts if they even head in the general direction of that messed up plot in their games! Their games are bad enough already without following the storyline of a bunch of n00bish authors who decided they wanted to play Star Wars, and destroy half the galaxy in their books...nope, not gonna have it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SirLagalott @ April 03 2003,9:59)]Second of all: saber/force only kicks arse. sword fighting games are what I live for. (well, besides all other games).
So did you play Die By the Sword? Excellent sword fighting game with a really cool control system that just never seemed to take off...probably because it was difficult to master. (you controlled your character with the keyboard and your sword with the mouse -- moving the mouse moved the sword).

I love any sword fighting type of game. In multiplayer Jedi Outcast, I enjoy turning all the weapons off and fighting with sabers only. It's an awesome experience!

Actually, the automatic switch only occurred in part 2, and I could never break out of it. In JK1, hit F1 and you go into 1st Person View. Helps in blocking, really. Aim the crosshairs to the enemy and you tend to block all your shots TOWARDS them.
BUt yeah, PERHAPS it's FPS...but it's saber-only, then, uhh, yeah. No FPS: just the saber/Force, which is fine by me, but hey, I like my concussion rifle just like anyone else.
The n00bish authors includes RA Salvatore. You know, Forgotten Realms.
BUt I agree: "Blame Canada! Send those games ta 'eck!"

I'm looking at the demo right now

and as far as I'm conserned, JKI had better blading than JKII. JKII was more of a mash mash mash. In JKI you had to time your attacks carefully because attacking did not block *sigh*. I played the demo, and while it was fun, it required almost null skill.

I used to be unstoppable in JKI. circle strafe around guy 1. block enemy one's attack, block enemy twos attack from behind, powerattack enemy two. enemy two dies. strave around guy 1, block, kill, force invisible while I look for where guy 2 spawned.
biggrin.gif

I so pwned in that game. I love sword games that isn't just a mashfest. Btw, I'm looking for the demo of Die by the Sword. I heard it was really good when it first came out, but havn't heard ANYTHING about it after its release.

Geez, how I miss JKI against a good oponent. was so scary... anyone up for a match?
biggrin.gif

This game looks great - it's a must-buy for me. I wonder if Katarn will be in it, or if they're gonna make a JKIII?

Personally, I prefer the saber system in JKII.

I'm kinda miffed I didn't see this until now. I've just gotten back from a vacation in Australia.

The game takes place right after Outcast. The announcement made it sound like Luke and Kyle train you. So, it seems like Kyle will be in it, but not playable.

I liked the saber fights in JKII much better as well. But then I never played JKI in MP.

Lagalott, if you didn't like the demo, you probably won't like the game. I thought the demo was fantastic and did a nice job of representing the feel of the full game. From starting with a blaster, to getting your lightsaber, and to the battle against multiple enemies at once. BTW, the demo level is a completely new level, not in the game.

But I must say, Jedi Outcast is a great game. The enemy AI is so much better than in JK:DF.

first of al its DKII:JK... second of all, you probably like it because its a mashfest. Yah, it was fun, but didn't take any skill. (IMHO) It was just click click click click click click, jump, duck, roll back, roll side, click click click click click, jump click click click click click click, run around, throw, run more, speed, run, click click. Yah, pretty fun, very pretty [graphically], but IMHO, not very skillful.

In a way tho, JKI was almost TOO hard. It took forever for me to get to the point where there was the elite in the community due to skill, and not randomness. I liked how you had to FORCE JUMP to jump over a slash (not just double jump or whatever it was...) and how timing was so important. I did like how JKII did give Force a bit of a push with force push. I liked pushing that boss in the demo down, throwing the sword at him, and hitting him 3 times with it (force run around his body as the sword is returning to you), it usually killed the guy. Then repeat on the 2nd guy that pops out.

Anyway to sum up my long, babbelling opinion. They are both good sword-fighters. BUT JKI > JKII
biggrin.gif

My feeling is JK1 had much larger maps, it was more open-ended, and was full of some very nice puzzles.

JKII is much more action oriented. It was very linear and lacked the depth of puzzles of the previous release, but the action was very well done. I really felt I was in a saber battle many times.

Anyway, I don't want to argue over which game is better. I like both games a lot. The whole DF/JK series are my all-time favorite games.

DF got to me. I couldn't get past level 2. I got sick. The bobbing motion got to me.
BY TOTAL ACCIDENT I was awake at 6 and typed in the password to get to the Arc Hammer. I was just hitting stuff. It was awesome. I was freaking. And then I got to shot to death by some superquick black Stormtrooper who shot me up with some blue beams, and continued to blast my body around.
JK was bigger, but JKII has some fairly massive back and forth stuff. The graphics are also far better on JKII than on JK. But I enjoyed the massive fuel level in JK.

Back