Jeremiah 12

doormatt

I had a question about a passage, I didn't know where I should post, so it's going here. If there is a better folder to post verse questions, you can move this one there

Before Jer. 12, jeremiah has been preadhing the word of God to the people of Isreal. God is speaking thru him and he is pretty much yelling His word from the streets. Now, in chp. 12, Jeremiah questions Gods judgements.

In verses 1-4, Jeremiah ask God why He lets the wicked prosper. They are allowed to come become rich and fat, yet they are still happy.
"(1) Righteous are You, O Lord, when I plead with You; Yet let me talk with You about Your Judgements. Why does the way of the wicked prsper? Why are those happy who deal so treacherously? You have planted them, yes, they have taken root; Tehy grow, yes, they bear fruit.... (3).. Pull them out like sheep for the slaughter."

The part that I find unclear is the Lord's response to Jeremiah's questions at verse 5.
"(5) If you have run with the footmen, and they wearied you, Then how can you contend with the horses? And if in the land of peace, In which you trusted, they wearied you, Then how will you do in the flood plain of the Jordan?"

God continues with questions to Jeremiah.
Jeremiah's feelings can be understood, because I have probably wondered the same things at times.
So, my question is, What does God's responses mean?

I would guess that He is not happy with Jeremiah for questioning His judgement.

If anyone has some insight on the verse, please let me know.
matt (blessed)

I'd tend to agree.

I think the answer to your question lies a couple of verses later. In 12:8-9, New Living Translation:

My chosen people have roared at me like a lion of the forest, so I have treated them as though I hated them. 9 My chosen people have become as disgusting to me as a vulture. And indeed, they are surrounded by vultures. Bring on the wild beasts to pick their corpses clean!

I don't think that God is angry with Jeremiah for questioning God. Abraham questioned God when He was going to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah, and He was not angry with Abraham. I think He was angry with Jeremiah because of the way he presented his argument. Jeremiah claims that Israel is more righteous than the other nations, and therefore should have the special privledge, when in reality, Israel is no different in His judgment.

Good question, and I'd like to hear other interpretations of this passage.

I have read that this is a warning to Jeremiah that things are going to get worse for him. Basically God is saying "If your having trouble handling the problems you've got now, how are you going to handle the tougher problems that are coming?" After this verse God begins telling Jeremiah about the troubles to come, even his own family has betrayed him.

Then the answer to Jeremiah's question follows. God begins to describe what will happen to the people who have turned from him.

Those who turn there back on God will get their judgement. However, it's not according to our timing, it's according to God's.

I think He's basically telling him to mind his own business, lol.

For some reason this is what I think;

God tells Jeremiah that just because someone out does you doesn't mean there better then you. The reason is that he says you can keep up with the normal people, but you when you go up against an animal that you can't keep up with, that doesn't mean they are better then you.

Back