kara gearing question

Darkpanda

I was curious as to what the required stats would be to consider running kara in an off-tanking role.

My warrior currently has 475 defense, 12k armor, and 10714 health unbuffed with 50 hit rating on that tanking set. That gives him a little over 3% + to hit.

I have yet to find a shoulder piece with defence on it, so a bit more farming instances and I should be at the magical 490 defence number.

My spec is 42 arms/ 5 fury/ 14 prot.

With my stats as they stand, without upgrading the shoulder piece be good enough to seek out keying this char for kara?

My dps gear sees me at around just over 9200 health 1500 ap self buffed with battle shout, a little over 27% chance to crit in battle stance and over 30% in zerg stance, with I do belief 67 +hit( a little over 4% increase to hit. 5% is the magic number for 2h and 1h + shield as far as I have read thus far)

I run with Lunar Crescent currently and am closing in on upgrading it to the next 2h axe.

With these stats could I realistically ot in kara?

Sean

You could OT but I think you want to get your HP up. People come in with too low hp or not good enough mitigation and a lot of mana is wasted keeping one person up rather than the group.

One idea, if any of your gear has set bonuses that just..stink. Use +stamina gems in place if you can.

Gearing up for kara, really I would suggest having seen the inside of all *regular* 70 outland instances several times -- this means you have probably seen most of the gear drop from those instances and probably have the best regular instance drops you can have.

For the most part, we need to have one steady tank and 1 ot that can go between dps and tanking. There are a lot of pulls where you just dont need to have two tanks out. The farther we are getting into karaz I think we are realizing more that we need to have steady and balanced group builds. I am aware of quite a few people desiring to tank :) so good luck!!! I would suggest anyone who is interested in doing higher end tanking to be reading angies posts about mitigation and mods and all that other good tanking stuff.

Gear is the number one thing for kara. Get as much health, defense and armor you can. It helps the healers out alot.

Your spec is fine for OT. Do try and get the magic 490 defense though. The Bold shoulders have defense (good tanking shoulders). A good alternative is the Warchief's Mantle shoulders. Easy quest reward from CoT. Doesn't have defense, but they do have parry and 2 gem slots (thick dawnstones FTW).

i use the champion set they have 17 def added they are a green tho

for dps, u need to get your AP over 2000 buffed I sit at 2200 buffed with battle and mark unbuffed is 1646 I believe, I also do have a hit rating of 170 for 2h u need 105 I believe it was (5% chance) (fury warriors need 170)my crit chance when I was an arms was 35% with mark of the wild 40 in fury, now it is 28% in furyand 35% with stones and mark.

Mark sure to get your stones and enough stones, u figure 30 min per a stone that means at least 6 stones for kara a night and lots of food and pots, including flask, and agil and crit pots and health and anything else u can use.

Last edited:
I was curious as to what the required stats would be to consider running kara in an off-tanking role.

My warrior currently has 475 defense, 12k armor, and 10714 health unbuffed with 50 hit rating on that tanking set. That gives him a little over 3% + to hit.

I have yet to find a shoulder piece with defence on it, so a bit more farming instances and I should be at the magical 490 defence number.

My spec is 42 arms/ 5 fury/ 14 prot.

With my stats as they stand, without upgrading the shoulder piece be good enough to seek out keying this char for kara?

My dps gear sees me at around just over 9200 health 1500 ap self buffed with battle shout, a little over 27% chance to crit in battle stance and over 30% in zerg stance, with I do belief 67 +hit( a little over 4% increase to hit. 5% is the magic number for 2h and 1h + shield as far as I have read thus far)

I run with Lunar Crescent currently and am closing in on upgrading it to the next 2h axe.

With these stats could I realistically ot in kara?

Sean

I agree with Holly. A dps specced warrior with a dps set and tanking set brings more to the table in kara then another fully prot specced tank. (A druid OT with a nice dps/healing set is also nice)

You can check my warrior's tanking stats at the armory. (11k HP unbuffed, with CS 12.8k) I off-tank in Kara, but have not OT,d any bosses yet as I've not been in a situation that called for it. (Dps fully buffed is probably around 450)

I only have 440 defense atm, 490 is my goal. I've off-tanked all the trash up to maiden.

Danny

Your spec is fine for OT. Do try and get the magic 490 defense though. The Bold shoulders have defense (good tanking shoulders). A good alternative is the Warchief's Mantle shoulders. Easy quest reward from CoT. Doesn't have defense, but they do have parry and 2 gem slots (thick dawnstones FTW).

/agree

Bold shoulders drop from Murmur in Shadowlabs....which you need to run for your Kara key:)

Aquired Bold shoulders, defense is now 488. Stam is now 109xx. armor a little better but still around 12k.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Still looking for a belt and possible feet slot items that are tanking oriented with sockets so I can push the defense over 490.

Almost got revered rep with aldor with would push the defence and armor higher yet with the chest piece, but I am not willing to give up 30 hit rating on the chest I currently have. Just way too important for threat generation imo. Other gear will make up the diff I am sure.

Sean

belt is simple to upgrade do how to break into arc and you got the belt, chest piece hey up to you, you got the def you dont need 46 extra defence.

Back