Last minute preaching opportunity.

Kahiel

Hey, if ya all could pray for me I would appreciate it. I got a text on Tuesday night that a friend of mine had double booked himself to preach on Sunday and asked if I could fill in for him at one of our sister churches. I agreed but obviously don't have a lot of prep time so I am dusting off an old sermon. From what he is telling me it sounds like this church is going through some similar things to what we did last year about this time (just before all the "stuff hit the fan"). Not saying they are going to hit the same wall we did, but this is a great chance to encourage our yolk fellows as they navigate a rocky path.

Also, the church is about 45 minutes South of here and I just realized that the main interstate heading there will be closed over the weekend...

Prayed.

Also, the church is about 45 minutes South of here and I just realized that the main interstate heading there will be closed over the weekend...

Maybe God has a quite literal detour in mind for you :) .

Last minute is always tough, will pray for you. I'll never forget when our Corps Officer whispered in my ear and asked if I could give a 10 min devotion while I was leading the service. That means that I had about 10 mins to get ready to speak while I was leading everything else. Ooof!
2 Timothy 4:2 New King James Version (NKJV)

2 Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching.
. Learned my lesson, if you are a lay leader of any kind have a short message tucked away in your Bible every time you go to church.

Learned my lesson, if you are a lay leader of any kind have a short message tucked away in your Bible every time you go to church.

Yup. I have what one of my professors called a stick (a sermon you can give off the top of your head at any time) and with dropbox I have access to all my previous sermons (my stick has been written down as well). It's a tradition in many more traditional "old school" churches to invite a visiting pastor to give the message for the week and as Lord Baden-Powell says "be prepared."

It went well. It's a smaller church (usually around 40) and this Sunday was smaller than usual. Turns out that between the pastor and his family, my friend and his family, another friend who goes there and her family, all of whom were preaching at other churches that Sunday, they make up nearly half of the congregation. lol. The sermon went well. Found out they are in transition and I used one of old ones where I took 1 Corinthians 12 and encourage them to be untied in Christ to reach their community. Hope they listened. ;)

Back