Left 4 Dead: only 24.99!!

So, I am interested...why should I buy it?

Well I may have not bought the game on my own but it's nice to have (ty Rev for it). I have a few reservations about zombie games and the game does have a generous amount of cussing. If you plan to get it for the single player I'd say forget it but if you want it for the co-op it is good (not TF2 excellence though :D) and there are a decent amount of active Toj players who would be happy play with you. When the update hits I'm sure you'll see the Toj players swarming steam like the horde and it's nice to be able to join them :p.

Anything else? I haven't played an FPS in a long time, and $25 sounds like a good price for a FPS to get into...I just wish I knew more about that game...

Well, it's easy to get into, fairly easy to master (not as much depth as I've hoped) and it's more on the arcadey-side. Co-Op is fun, Versus mode is aggravating a majority of the time from the over reliance of the shove attack (which I believe hampers the game), and singleplayer is pretty much Co-Op with bots that won't save you from about 70% of attacks. But it has swearing and blaspheming (mainly the S-word and GD) too. :/

That said, it's a good game, but it is lacking in content and difficulty. Now with THAT said, TF2 lasted me over a year now, L4D got stale to me after 2~3 months. (But I know others who have a blast every day they play.) Check some review videos to give you a better idea about it.

Honestly, I would've rather payed 25 bucks instead of the 50, so it's a great deal for sure none the less.

Last edited:
Anything else? I haven't played an FPS in a long time, and $25 sounds like a good price for a FPS to get into...I just wish I knew more about that game...

Ahhh it's rather gory? Not particularly realistic in that gore but it is copious.

Some people find it scary but I do not.

It needs more oh everything, weapons, enemy types and levels. It's got a decent concept but the game feels incomplete like it's release was rushed.

For it's content $50 was too much IMO but $25 is a tiny bit on the cheap side. Like I said eariler though if you are hurting for money I am sure it will be discounted again before/when the update hits.

I like saving my teammates :D .

I'll have to make an avi of some recent Toj co-op versus play so people may get a better idea. That takes hours though so don't expect it soon :/.

Last edited:
Versus is broken (though slightly less broken since the last patch).

Co-op is where the game really shines.

Find 3 people with common sense and decent first-person shooter skills and you're in for a good time.

Versus is broken (though slightly less broken since the last patch).

How so Tek? I've only played one match with Toj'ers but we where winning on both the survivor and infected sides Mwahahaha (Whon has brains BTW... I tasted them lots :p) .

It's true right click is a bit too powerful though. I think I bludgeoned more infected to death than I shot :p.

Last edited:
My personal belief is that the patch has actually weakened VS. I despise knowing what to expect and where to expect things on the second go around, takes all the fun randomness of it all. Besides, blue shells wins the race.

If you want to talk broken you should mention the server browser or lack thereof -_-. Not to mention the continual disconnects :(

EDIT: I searched and found out there is a openserverbrowser console command! Honestly what possessed Valve to hide this screen from us???

Last edited:
If you want to talk broken you should mention the server browser or lack thereof -_-. Not to mention the continual disconnects :(

EDIT: I searched and found out there is a openserverbrowser console command! Honestly what possessed Valve to hide this screen from us???

Well, the easy access of selecting your specific On-line games instead of looking from a list.

You have to remember that this game wasn't originally for valve, it was snatched up by valve fairly late in the development so there are a few querts that aren't normally there, but I'm sure they are working on them to make it better. It was in last months PC Gamer they talked to the writer and producer of L4D and Turtle Rock (original company) didn't even know Valve was going to pick up the game til last winter.

How so Tek?
Maybe "broken" is overstating the game's flaws, but for me, Versus is more frustrating than fun. When I get that frustrated playing a game, I shelf it.

More importantly, running through the same 10 levels over and over and over again got stale. Co-op at least offers 20 levels total and less frustration during gameplay.

Maybe Valve will also release a few balance and control fixes with the two new Versus campaigns. Even if they don't, I'll fire up the new content and give it a whirl.

Until then, I'm sticking to co-op and other games. (I'm currently playing through Okami on the Wii and Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia on the DS.)

You have to remember that this game wasn't originally for valve, it was snatched up by valve fairly late in the development [...] It was in last months PC Gamer they talked to the writer and producer of L4D and Turtle Rock (original company) didn't even know Valve was going to pick up the game til last winter.
Orly? I did not know that.

Well, the easy access of selecting your specific On-line games instead of looking from a list.

If they want to try something new in addition that's fine but the openserverbrowser provides basic functionality that the other thing lacks. I need ping sorting and not to mention some servers run mods, what if I don't want to play a mod? How hard can it be to add another text button that calls the openserverbrowser, it's a no brainier.

I'm still trying to figure out the connection problems the game has. Some people say it's a router problem but I've found nothing official. I mean sometimes it works fine but other times like last night the game would not connect for anything. Not to mention it makes Steam itself disconnect.

You have to remember that this game wasn't originally for valve, it was snatched up by valve fairly late in the development so there are a few querts that aren't normally there, but I'm sure they are working on them to make it better. It was in last months PC Gamer they talked to the writer and producer of L4D and Turtle Rock (original company) didn't even know Valve was going to pick up the game til last winter.

Yeah I heard about that I'm just of the old school that happens to believe you should release a product that actually works even if it costs you money. I mean it doesn't have to be perfect but there is a limit on relying on "updates" to magically fix everything. Basic functionality should work or I can't even use the product. For example I know when I got my Evga motherboard and my Evga video card (which Evga says specifically work together) I had to update to get them to work together. With the stock Evga CD drivers it freezes my computer as soon as I load them. Yet Evga says nothing about this and puts the updated drivers in an obscure corner of their forums -_- .

IDK companies could say "hey we know X has big problems but we are working diligently to fix them" and some do but when they don't make it a loud announcement I get the feeling they are hiding the facts so they can sell more :/ .

Maybe "broken" is overstating the game's flaws, but for me, Versus is more frustrating than fun. When I get that frustrated playing a game, I shelf it.

More importantly, running through the same 10 levels over and over and over again got stale. Co-op at least offers 20 levels total and less frustration during gameplay.

Maybe Valve will also release a few balance and control fixes with the two new Versus campaigns. Even if they don't, I'll fire up the new content and give it a whirl.

Until then, I'm sticking to co-op and other games. (I'm currently playing through Okami on the Wii and Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia on the DS.)

I kind of prefer versus because I don't have to worry about shooting my teammates as much because the damage is reduced from co-op expert or advanced.

It's ok Tek if you don't want to play versus, I understand but "ahem" "all I want to do is eat your brains, I'm not unreasonable I mean no ones going to eat your eyes" :p.

I am after all going to be playing TF2 90% of my gaming time :D.

Last edited:
Yeah I heard about that I'm just of the old school that happens to believe you should release a product that actually works even if it costs you money.
And sometimes pushing a game out the door with a "release now, fix later" mentality has killed some otherwise decent games like Heretic II (which featured some very fun multiplayer), Anarchy Online, and SiN.

Valve got away with it for Left 4 Dead because (1) they're Valve (seriously, these people could be photographed clubbing baby seals and still print money with the release of their next game) and (2) it's a co-op zombie apocalypse first-person shooter. Other companies have not found gamers to be so forgiving.

It's ok Tek if you don't want to play versus, I understand but "ahem" "all I want to do is eat your brains, I'm not unreasonable I mean no ones going to eat your eyes" :p.
Hah, nice. :)

Lets be honest the core reason Valve is a good as they are is because of the free DLC, they know nothing is perfect and the more updates you do the more you "seem" to make the community happy.

The good thing is the game is fun to play, is pretty well designed, and we're getting more content without having to pay for it.

I bought it for my best friend during the sale, I got him TF2 also so he may be playing with us on occasion (Gangsta chocolates is his nickname) so say hey is ya see him.

Back