LINK: "Unreal Tournament 3: Six Months On"

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
Earlier this month, Epic Games teased Xbox 360 owners with some screenshots of the upcoming port of Unreal Tournament III. They failed to summon any interest. It's extremely unusual for such an event to occur. If we take Epic's track record, (let alone the success of the Unreal Tournament series), their games have been at the forefront of Shooter fans' minds since 1999. The Unreal franchise is a legacy, one that even commands a widely accepted graphics engine. Is the reason simple ignorance or is there something more worrying at work? We attempt to find out.
Source: Unreal Tournament 3: Six Months On

Very Nice Article, Funny you should post this Article link Tek, as Captain Tea and I have discussed this very fact, Will UT 3 Survive? and Why is the Game doing So Poorly amongst its Faithful Gamers? , The first I don't know, but I did know the release of UT 3 was a sales gimmick for the Unreal Engine, as the article stated, Epic wanted to show the full potential of the Engine in Full Game format., as to Why the game is doing poorly, I believe it was due to multiple reasons, first: The Game Released Months late, undergoing a Name change toward the last few weeks, Second: The Game was released{Late] right in the middle of several big Pc titles, and Third[Probably the largest reason]: The Hardware it takes to run this game on High Settings, The Demo was so bad that gamers were turning to alternate ini's to reduce the strain on thier Pc's, No other Unreal in the series had ever been this demanding on PC Hardware, The UT 3 game has so many Bells and Whistles, and when turned on they look AMAZING, but the cost is also very High. These are just my opinion, I am like the rest of you who remembers logging onto our server or clan Lob or any server and it was going full steam, always action.....needless to say now I have become a Bot Noobanator, LOL, Hope to see you all ingame soon...:)

Last edited:
Yes I kinda agree with BB. The reason UT3 is so far behind the other UT series I believe is just the simple fact that the game requires such an upgrade to run properly. I have mine set at it's lowest running a P4 3.2mhz with a 256 meg 9800xt (agp slot) with 1 gig of ram. This system used to run anything until Crysis and UT3.

I personally quit playing it because of how badly they nerfed the movement. They brought us dodge-jumping with UT2k4 and the game got to be so fast and twitchy that I loved playing it. Now with the movement more back to UT99 style, I'd rather play TF2. It's just more fun.

I personally quit playing it because of how badly they nerfed the movement. They brought us dodge-jumping with UT2k4 and the game got to be so fast and twitchy that I loved playing it. Now with the movement more back to UT99 style, I'd rather play TF2. It's just more fun.

I will agree that taking out the Wall/Double side Jumps takes a little out of the Game, it is Not what makes Unreal Tournament so superior to other games, [btw Epic originally removed those abilities to make gaming on a more even basis]:p, however UT 3 is no where near UT 99 gameplay, the original Unreal was SO much faster paced in my opinion, but as with any game there will be those who dislike the Play style, I personally think TF 2 is not evenly balanced, either by weapon or character, but I still play it[on occasion], just to game with Friends and Brothers in Arms, If you like TF 2 style then you need to check out the upcoming release of Battlefield Heroes:

http://www.battlefield-heroes.com/videos

This will be a FREE cartoon based shooter style with Teamplay from EA,Character Customization is worth the wait and this will BLAST TF 2 out of the Water ;)

Last edited:
I think the real problem is Epic dumbed-down UT3's movement for the console market and all the hardcore UT2k4 players just moved on to something else.

The clan I'm in (Fudge) used to run a UT2k4 server, played in CAL/TWL and usually had a full server after about 8PM EST. I regularly saw 6-8 of our guys in game and sometimes we had as many as 12. You know how many of them play UT3? One, and he rarely plays because of how overpowered the Stinger is (in his words).

Back