Looking for replays or videos of skilled Zerg players winning

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
I'm looking for replays where skilled Zerg players win their match. Jackpot bonus points for a reply of a skilled Zerg player winning his match using Tunneling Claws-upgraded Roaches.

I'd like to refute the claim that Zerg is boring to play, but the evidence I've gathered so far is not in my favor. That's why I'm looking for replays where Zerg players use clever strategies to win.

And I've already seen the match where a player sneaks an Overlord into the enemy base, spawns creep, pops a Nydus Worm into the enemy base, and proceeds to send a legion of units in to ransack his opponent's base and win. So no need to link that one.

Replays are preferred, but I'm fine with YouTube links, too.

I'd like to second this request. Been playing zerg and would love to see some good matches.

I'd like to second this request. Been playing zerg and would love to see some good matches.
I was starting to think I was the only Zerg player in ToJ!

/me shakes Lloren's hand

Boring to play? I felt like they had way too much going on to keep track of. @_@

Boring to play? I felt like they had way too much going on to keep track of. @_@
Really? One of the reasons I prefer Zerg (maybe the #1 reason) is because I can produce all my units from one building (the Hatchery) rather than from 4 buildings (Command Center, Barracks, Factory, and Starport).

With the introduction of the Planetary Fortress, ground defense for expansions for Terran is even easier than as Zerg (Spine Crawlers) or Protoss (Photon Cannons), so expanding isn't (or doesn't need to be) as cumbersome for Terran as it used to be.

Complaints that Zerg is boring to play (another way to say there's not much variation in "real game" or non-gimmick strategies) are subjective; Zerg's lesser mobility is objective. Terrans have Reapers and can relocate buildings. Protoss have Warp Gates and Colossi.

Zerg have Nydus Worm, which is Tier 3 and fragile. A Reaper harass is much easier to orchestrate than an attack featuring a Nydus Worm. A Reaper harass stands a good chance of altering the outcome of a game; if a Zerg player drops a Nydus worm in an opponent's base, they're probably already about to win.

Sure, Zerg air force is awesome, but we need to survive long enough (and have at least one expansion) to build a respectable muta/corruptor/brood lord fleet.

There are some Zerg matches on ScLegacy.
I'll check them out, thanks!

You're underestimating the zerg; their zergling rush is still incredibly powerful, especially with the speedling upgrade. You're also forgetting the creep tumors, which give the zerg a HUGE movement advantage. Roaches are pretty powerful en masse, and hydralisks are extremely scary to go up against. Their attack is just so speedy. The mutalisk harassment is also very, very annoying, just because they're so fast and can move from base to base quickly.

Also, I think you're overestimating the reaper harassment. Yeah, it's a really powerful harassment, but so are every races early-harass abilities. Also, the reaper harassment is incredibly easy to defend against, especially as zerg. Just get a queen or two and show that you have good queen control, and that's deterrent enough for most players not to mess with you.

I'm not trying to convince you to play any race; I think you should play what you like the most. One suggestion I have, if you have the time, is to watch shoutcasts and let that information soak in. Not only is it extremely relaxing and fun to watch, but you can learn a lot of great things from them. Perhaps get a notepad and write down things that you've noticed.

Last edited:
I agree that the races are well-balanced. I'm not saying Zerg are underpowered; I'm saying it may not be as fun to play Zerg as to play Terran or Protoss.

Having said all that: After watching the match between FreeAgain and GoSu (linked above in Corpfox's post), I find myself interested in Zerg again. There are three things I'd like to play around with:

1. Banelings
  2. Infestors (specifically, Neural Parasite)
  3. Creep Tumors/Spawn Creep
I hadn't given much thought to pushing creep across the map, but the more I learn, the more important it seems. I had been using my Queens exclusively for Spawn Larvae, but I may see how Creep Tumors affect the game.

I can't help but wish for a Zerg ground unit that hopped or stepped over cliffs like the Reaper or Colossus, but Neural Parasite may help make up for that. :D

1. Banelings
  2. Infestors (specifically, Neural Parasite)
  3. Creep Tumors/Spawn Creep

Same. One thing I noticed in watching those games is those players have amazing micro unit control. Usually when I get too "micro" I forget "macro" and lag behind in economy. (I know... I know... Practice moar noob! ) :)

lol. I love how the ads on the youtube vids on HD are "Learn Korean in 10 days". Hmmm.... I wonder where they got that from. Google scares me sometimes.

Yeah and the TLO vs Sen is a great set of games.

DIMAGA, Idra, Artosis, and ret are all great zerg players. If you can, I'd recommend finding their replays on youtube or livestreams.

Back