Martyrdom

Oh absolutely; too often for my liking. But, it varies among individuals. Christians as a whole really aren't any different from any other group of people in terms of society and politics. Christians, in terms of what is seen and done in the non-spiritual perspective are really just like any other group of people.
I think what counts is mainly what each person does and what flag or banner he caries while performing that duty. If a priest molests a child, well, he puts a mark of shame on the order he is in as well as himself. If a member of a church goes to help victims of disaster, it puts a mark of honor on the order he upholds as well as himself.

As I said, I think persecuting Christianity has its reasons behind it really. What kind of institution preaches benevolence and community service while members do all sorts of horrid things? I view these particular "persecutions" I mentioned to be beneficial; it acts to set things in line.
Christians aren't supposed to be persecutors! I would *hope* that every Christian on this board agrees with that... >.<

Again, I think it's a matter of each person's deeds. I mean, in the United States and maybe Europe one sees Christians persecuting others all the time, but in other areas like China or India, the situation is quite different.

Still, I find it hard to really define "persecution" in today's modern context. Some phrases are maybe just common words people have said for year like, "omg". Some may be jokes, while some may be purposely offensive. Personally, over game chat I can't really tell :)
I think the majority of "persecution" is in the motive of the persecutor and the interpretation of the persecuted. What is meant to be a joke can be interpreted as an insult, what is meant to be an insult can be interpreted as a joke.
Motive and interpretation as the core of persecution...Can I say it's, well, subjective? ;)

I still don't believe I'm being persecuted (much). I mean if I end up a martyr what do I gain? Like wise what do I lose?

A good book to read is "Martyrs" by dc talk. Good book. Showed me alot of bad stuff happening to Christians in the Near/Middle/Far East and elsewhere.

Perhaps you should read it first.

Besides, its not like its off the top of their head-there's about 11-13 books in the bibliography that they got their facts from

The book, whose full title is Jesus Freaks: DC Talk and The Voice of the Martyrs - Stories of Those Who Stood For Jesus, the Ultimate Jesus Freaks, isn't an objective work of history, but instead, an inspirational work written for teenagers as a companion book to their cd. Nice marketing ploy.

It's just an oversimplified version of Foxe's Book of Martyrs. And before you ask, yes, I've read it.

So please, if you're going to recommend books on historical subjects, don't recommend one written by a band, Christian or otherwise.

Alright here we go!And in this corner, weighing in at 200 athiest pounds. DAAAAAAAaaaaaAAAARK Virtue! And in this corner, wearing the blue shorts with the snazy white trim, Schikin SOOOOOOooooooUUUUUP!!!! Lets get ready to rumble!We ask that there be no coaching or interference whatsoever from the audience, at this time!Alright boys shake hands.

Its not like they're a mindless rock band who don't know anything but how to successfully smash a guitar onto the ground and scream to get someone's attention, either. I'm not saying they're geniuses-but they're not stupid.

DarthDapor said:
Alright here we go!And in this corner, weighing in at 200 athiest pounds. DAAAAAAAaaaaaAAAARK Virtue! And in this corner, wearing the blue shorts with the snazy white trim, Schikin SOOOOOOooooooUUUUUP!!!! Lets get ready to rumble!We ask that there be no coaching or interference whatsoever from the audience, at this time!Alright boys shake hands.

Would you mind keeping your posts relevant to the discussion and not inciteful in nature?

Consider this a polite request before I start asking the mods.

ChickenSoup said:
Its not like they're a mindless rock band who don't know anything but how to successfully smash a guitar onto the ground and scream to get someone's attention, either. I'm not saying they're geniuses-but they're not stupid.

I'm not saying they're stupid either, don't get me wrong.

But I think Historical Theology is bit out of their league. Even if they are a Christian band.

This is also why I don't buy cookbooks from skinny chefs :)

Anyway, Chickensoup I'll have side with Dark Virtue in this matter (although slightly off topic :p)
The idea isn't whether or not the band is Christian or not or whether they are smart or not; as a band without a socially-accepted degree they are simply not a credible source in discussing historical doctrine.
They are not necessarily wrong in any way, but when facts are called into question, sometimes we need works by people that have shown to society that they really know the facts that they address. DC Talk simply has no such credential, and are henceforth less reliable to believe.

Edit: Didn't reply to the post i intended to...

Last edited:
Back