Marvel Ultimate Alliance

Kendrik

Staff member
Plain and simple, I adore Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Even after beating the game some time ago, I still boot it up to beat down enemies as my favorite heroes and work toward 100% unlock/completion. The dungeon crawlin' and brawlin' gameplay definitely gets redundant, but I don't really care since the game has stayed fun for me for a long time.

So, despite some people (*cough* Keero *cough*) speaking ill of its sequel, I decided to get the second game. It's well on its way here (got it for $14 with free shipping from Target.com... woot), and I can't wait. I don't expect greatness. For all I care, even if it's just MUA with new characters, it'll be more than enough to keep me happy.

Heck, given that Gambit is in it, it could be considerably less enjoyable than the first game and still keep me happy. :p

The roster is, without a doubt, a major factor in why I finally bought the second game despite the warnings I've received. It's loaded with awesome characters I wouldn't have thought to get major game time. Even Osborn is playable! Oh... and a bunch of Norman's Thunderbolts and Avengers are in it. :O

I'm a bit of a Marvel fanboy... just in case you didn't guess. :p.

Anyone else a fan of MUA or its sequel?

I have yet to play either one, but they are actually on my list of games to play/own...
D'oh! I recently offloaded an extra copy of MUA1. Coulda given it to you. Darn. :/

Also, now that I've put probably two or three hours into MUA2, I gotta say...

I don't get the hate.

It's not a mindblowing game. It's a pretty cut and dry sequel with a few tweaks, improvements, and expansions. Definitely more of the same. It's not a terrible game by any stretch of the imagination; it's just not all that different from the first.

Then again, given my love for the first, I'm not complaining. Some of the RPG elements have been streamlined, but I actually favor the changes since they keep the focus on brawling... without taking away your control of character improvements.

The new Fusion system is awesome. A lot of the fusions are very similar, but they're super nice to have... and they play up the alliance aspect of the game idea.

Oh... and the characters are awesome.

And the game takes place in a variant of the Civil War storyline.

Basically, I'm lovin' the game. Disappointed that I can't get the DLC now (something about license running out or some such... DLC no longer is available for purchase :( ), but I'll live.

I played the first one on a PSP several years ago. I remember liking the game but never really liked the small screen of the PSP. I'll check out the 2nd one.

I've now beaten MUA2. It's short and requires multiple playthroughs to access everything (including a quarter of the overall game/level content). It's streamlined over the first MUA, and the streamlining has both its pros (heavier emphasis on gameplay and beating things up) and cons (less options for how to play a character).

So, on the one hand, I understand why some people dislike the game. It is, overall, inferior to the original.

Then again, that doesn't mean that it's all bad. The gameplay is still a ton of fun. No longer are you stuck in tiny corridors the whole time. Improvements to team dynamics are definitely cool. And I'm a huge fan of the new roster.

Basically, if you liked the first, definitely give the second a shot... just don't expect a revolution.

Personally, I plan to unlock everything in the game. It's just that awesome.

U know I was wondering about picking MUA1 up last night when I saw it for $9 at Hastings. I may run back to the store and see if they still have it. Of course it will be the Wii version, but same game overall...and NO as some reviews have accused it of, you do not have to use the "motion" control scheme. :)

Headed to Gamestop today. If they have a used copy of MUA2, I'll buy it. Also planning to buy Dead Space 2.

There are valid criticisms of MUA2, but the reality is that I find it more than fun enough to justify a purchase. Hope you enjoy it if you pick it up, too!

Well I bought MUA 2. I do like the game. But the button mashing is a strain on my hand. It's a keeper though as I'll play it sparingly. As for Dead Space 2, I don't know. I love RE5 and thought that game was gory. Dead Space 2's gore is over the top. Plus I'm not into scary sequences. I'll give it one more try.

Got the itch to play through MUA again. Go go Cyclops DLC!!

I returned Dead Space 2 without trying it again. Figure I don't need that type of game even since I didn't like FEAR 2. I'll keep MUA 2 -thanks for the recommendation. If anyone's interested I'd be up for some co-op action :) Not this weekend though, I'll be out of town.

I need to make a new run as Pro-Reg at some point. Maybe our paths will cross when I do. :)

Back