May 5th, 2005

.se3ker.

You are the salt of the earth; but if salt has lost its taste, how can its saltiness be restored?

-Matthew 5:13 (NRSV)

DURING my first trip abroad, I went down to the hotel's restaurant to have breakfast. The oatmeal looked good, but it seemed to have no taste at all. I added some sugar, but it didn't help. I added more sugar and then some more -- until I realized that the salt was missing! When we use a little salt in our cooking, it is not only for the taste of salt itself but also to enhance the taste of whatever we're cooking.

Jesus said, "You are the salt of the earth." In essence Jesus was saying to believers, "You are the salt of this exciting cooking that is God's creation. You have the mission to bring forth the good taste of life itself." We can help people to find both foundation and direction for their lives. We accomplish this by always being ready "to make our defense to anyone who demands from us an accounting for the hope that is in us" (1 Pet. 3:15). But our faith is most evident in our love, care, and respect for others. And when people see our good works, they "give glory to God." (See Matt. 5:16.)

Hans Vaxby (Finland)
Prayer:
O God, make us salt that brings forth a taste for life with you among our friends and neighbors. In Jesus' name we pray. Amen.

Back