May 8th, 2005

RED

God Loves Us Always

Read 1 Corinthians 13:4-13

Love is patient. . . . It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.

-1 Corinthians 13:4, 7-8 (NIV)
FOR the past eight months, my best friend's baby daughter has suffered serious health problems. The child has endured hospitalizations, surgery, tube feedings, therapies, and daily medications. I have often wondered how my friend is able to cope with the situation. I imagine that I would be angry and frustrated; but my friend is not, except in fleeting moments. A strong, passionate love for her beautiful little girl eclipses all other emotions.

I realized recently that my friend exhibits the characteristics of love: patience, trust, hope, perseverance. No matter what she faces with her daughter, her love shines through. Seeing her love reminds me of God's love.

As my friend loves her child in these difficult circumstances, so God loves us always. God is patient with us when we stray or when we make mistakes. God is with us in the face of peril. God wants the best for us, even when we do not pursue the best for ourselves. And God's love for us perseveres, especially in challenging circumstances. God's love never fails.
Carole Craft (Georgia, U.S.A.)

Prayer
Dear God, we thank you for loving us. Help us to remember that whatever challenges we face in life, we can count on your love to get us through. Amen.

Back