MM Hunter builds ...

Thanks for the link, Adam! A good MM spec seems hard to place because MM has so many seductive talents...

Last edited:
please fill me in on the difference between MM and Surv. I use Surv for instances now and BM for leveling as I thought Surv was the best for end game. How does MM compare or does it all matter on playstyle. I really don't care what spec I am for instances I just want to hold up on dps.

The question you asked is better answered by Elitejerks and theorycrafters. All I can tell you is my experience as a hunter of 4.5 years, including end game raiding. The coles notes are simple:

BM until 80 (leveling spec)
SV otherwise ...

MM - non armour penetration is below SV in end game but going MM with a focus on armour pene, you should be seeing higher dps then in SV. I have seen on certain boss encounters my dps at 7300 dps. On Ony this past week on the two last attempting I was able to attend, my dps peeked at 8800. Let me set it straight, this was single target dps NOT whelp aoe'ing.

The question you asked is better answered by Elitejerks and theorycrafters. All I can tell you is my experience as a hunter of 4.5 years, including end game raiding. The coles notes are simple:

BM until 80 (leveling spec)
SV otherwise ...

MM - non armour penetration is below SV in end game but going MM with a focus on armour pene, you should be seeing higher dps then in SV. I have seen on certain boss encounters my dps at 7300 dps. On Ony this past week on the two last attempting I was able to attend, my dps peeked at 8800. Let me set it straight, this was single target dps NOT whelp aoe'ing.

Gotcha, thanks for the info. Currently I am BM for leveling and SV for instances. I notice however at 72 my dps is the same with BM or SV. So I think I will go with MM at 80 as I am more intrested in that over SV.

SV is much better until you get very well geared. I was SV until my armpen rose to about 350 (which is the min listed in elitists jerks btw). At that point the dps should be about equal between the two specs. MM pulls ahead as you approach 400-500 arm pen though and never looks back. Of course threat quickly becomes an issue....

Back