Otus

That was awesomeness incarnate :D .

Half of me expected the peaceful end, because I knew it was Christian doing this, while the other half was waiting for that comedic punchline at the end. Like a bunch of leaves falling on him out of nowhere with a POOF sound just as he is looking all peaceful. Shrugs, not disappointed just getting your style down.

Tip: Remember empathy comes most from the eyebrows, but in non-humans is limited by how realistic you want to make your character look.

Moor, MOOR! :D

Last edited:
This makes me wish I never stopped doing graphics work.

But then I remember that my artistic skills are lacking and it doesn't sting quite so bad. :)

In short: It looks excellent!

And now for the graphics nerd question: How long did it take to render?

That was awesomeness incarnate :D .

Half of me expected the peaceful end, because I knew it was Christian doing this, while the other half was waiting for that comedic punchline at the end. Like a bunch of leaves falling on him out of nowhere with a POOF sound just as he is looking all peaceful. Shrugs, not disappointed just getting your style down.

Tip: Remember empathy comes most from the eyebrows, but in non-humans is limited by how realistic you want to make your character look.

Moor, MOOR! :D
Eyebrows were there with expression. . .but feathers drowned out a bunch of it. Sorry.

The punchline was in the original "script". I had planned to have him remove the canopy of leaves only to have thunder boom at the very end (indicating a wet, sleepless time ahead), leaving him with a shocked expression. It turned out to be technically easier to have a happy ending rather than adjusting the background to reflect a stormy/cloudy sky. I'm not unsatisfied with the end result, however.

This makes me wish I never stopped doing graphics work.

But then I remember that my artistic skills are lacking and it doesn't sting quite so bad. :)

In short: It looks excellent!

And now for the graphics nerd question: How long did it take to render?
My 2D drawing is mediocre compared to most artists. That's why I tend to stick with 3D. You can do it! It costs nothing but time (Yea open source!).

Rendering was painful (1245 frames for less than a minute of animation). Ultimately, it ended up being about 8 nights (7-10 hours each). I actually didn't render out the final 15 frames because as the camera zoomed in on the Owl the render times increased to the point where a single frame was taking about 23 minutes. That meant another entire night just for those last 15 frames. I didn't want to wait. . .

The entire project took over a month. But that wasn't working on it full time, and gaming did take up some of my free time.

Last edited:
Eyebrows were there with expression. . .but feathers drowned out a bunch of it. Sorry.

I saw some of it it just looks like a more realistic take on an Owl than say Pixar would produce. That's great if it's what you want :) .

The punchline was in the original "script". I had planned to have him remove the canopy of leaves only to have thunder boom at the very end (indicating a wet, sleepless time ahead), leaving him with a shocked expression. It turned out to be technically easier to have a happy ending rather than adjusting the background to reflect a stormy/cloudy sky. I'm not unsatisfied with the end result, however.

SEQUEL!
SEQUEL NOW!
OTUS ON A BUSH!
OTUS ON A ROCK!
OTUS GOES TO VEGAS!

Your fans are already rioting. Did you see your youtube subscribers shoot up from 4 to 5! :p

SEQUEL!
SEQUEL NOW!
OTUS ON A BUSH!
OTUS ON A ROCK!
OTUS GOES TO VEGAS!
Heh, even if I wanted to do a sequel, the term "now" would have to refer to a month or two down the road. This is a painfully time-consuming process. But thanks for the vote of confidence.

I do have another project in mind, but I need to start with character/environment concepts first. It would also be a bit more of an undertaking, so an actual video is quite a ways down the road.

Your fans are already rioting. Did you see your youtube subscribers shoot up from 4 to 5! :p
I saw it went up. But I figured you were my first subscriber. :p

Now you can watch all 2 videos anytime you want.

Back