Para's random rants #2

Parakletos

Being 17 and still in high school there's never a class or free period where I don't see at least one girl reading the latest issue of Seventeen. Most guys like me laugh at the sight and wonder what could possibly be so interesting that they have round-table discussion groups about them (because everyone knows that you need to know the secrets of "10 ways to make him yours")

Well, yours truly got his hot hands on an issue the other day. As I started to read through I noticed something right away: out of about 200 pages, 156 of them were all advertisements! So I would be reading on “whats hot this summer” turn the page and see 2 half-naked girls with a big logo under them. Thanks a lot for THAT nice visual.

Here's today’s economics lesson:
If 156 pages of the (about) 200 pages are all ads, then that means that over 3/4ths of the magazine practically belongs to the advertising companies. So if Seventeen doesn’t do what their advertisers want, then the advertisers leave, which equals no advertisements, which equals no money.
So the advertising companies gently tap Seventeen on the shoulder and say "Hey, we want to get our moneys worth from your magazine" so guess what they do? They have "beautiful" models smiling from the front covers and call her "hot" which makes young girls think "Gee, I must need to look like her" so then they become more and more unconfident about themselves, so then in their advertisers minds, they will buy all 500 of their products.
I always love their philosophy: "We can’t fix girls on the inside, so we do it on the outside and hopefully the outside will sink in. What?
Good thing that makeup companies now control the confidence of America's youth, huh?

You know what’s worse? If girls are growing up in their teen years being unconfident in themselves in pretty much every way, then what’s going to happen to them 10 year down the road? You think they will still be crying in their beds every night because "no one notices me"? Am I the only one that sees something wrong with this?

Seriously people, throw that garbage out. We don’t need a skinny blonde woman on the front cover (who I should note has been through 10 plastic surgeries or has been air brushed and tummy-tucked on Photoshop to make her LOOK like that) telling our girls what they need in life. What they NEED is what comes on the INSIDE which WILL effect what they are on the outside.

I have been praying for awhile now that God will restore the confidence in our youth, and they will see what they are really longing for: Him. If you have a spare moment today, I encourage you to do the same. I dont want my girls to grow up inconfident of themselves because of what they see and read. No one does. But only one person can change them from the inside out.

What about Kristin Kreuk, she's cute, and A student, and plans on going to university, and she's on the cover of alot of mags. I think there are alot of good teen role models out there that tell the kids to stay in school, and respect yourself and your body. But most kids just see the flash car and the bling bling. But I think there are alot more kids, going to post secondarynow than before. And one of the reasons they try hard at school and go to university is because they want some of that bling bling.
But even mens mags are full of ads. I read stuff and Maxim and there's the same amount of ads. The only difference is in mens mags 40% of the ads are for alcohol, which costs u an arm and a leg.

U would think after Micheal Jackson plastic surgery would be unpopular.
Its weird though a few weeks ago I was at my aunts house and there was this indian mag, Femina, and It was exactly the same as these mags in the states. It was full of ads with half dressed men, and girls in tight clothing. And it had the sex column and everything. I personally was reading it for the articles, but u think of a country that still has protests at theatres if it shows 2 people kissing on the lips, and u think how is does this come from india. I find it weird that the country is divided in to these poor vilages where people baely eat, and these places where they're dressing in DK.
I guess I went on a little rant in yur rant topic sry.

w3rd again for para. and gg on the michael jackson part joblow
tounge.gif

i had noidea para was 17 =o

thats why i like hip hop culture we stay away from that we just hang out and drink coke that is the life

I'm a hip hop guy but don't drink coke, cafene is bad for u. My doc says its not good.
But most of the stuff I drink is bad for me. But mostly drink juice, mango orange its all good.
smile.gif

Para, you youngun, grow up some!%@!@%!@^@!@%$ Seventeen, baaaaah, I was seventeen once. Before I had a bum knee. And back. And hand. And my mind.

What were we talking about again?

yeah remix is hard to ifnd, though ive never tried any of the other sprites since i prefer pepsi or makin itailian sodas. and the 17 mag is sad.

WHAT ARE ITALIAN SODAS!? -_- sad sad canadian -_- its mainly, flavored syrup, half n half, whiped cream, ice and club soda mixed together
laugh.gif
i use to make em to help my dads latte stand as fund raiser at his school when it got closed down i got all the syrups and bout 12 2 liters of club soda

it sounds good, got to find a place that makes them and try it out soon.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Atown @ July 15 2004,7:19)]flavored syrup, half n half, whiped cream, ice and club soda mixed together
Actually, those are Italian Cream Sodas. An Italian Soda is just Club Soda and flavor.

Sorry, I had to interject. I've been a barista at a few different places, and am a connoisseur of coffee/coffeehouse beverages. I also make the best coffee and espresso drinks, and roast my own coffee at home
biggrin.gif

wth? then why did a company tell us thats how its done and btw u dont mix the whiped cream in u just add it on top like useal.

Back