Plus healing VRS Intellect

Zandura

I mostly tank, but of course I heal as well. My questions is this, I have sought out plus heal gear instead of intellect gear. So I have 825 bonus healing but only 5535 mana. Is their a balance?

BTW this if you look at my Armory, I logged out waring my healing gear.
-Ziff

As with all things there is a fine line. It is great being able to bring someone to full health in one flash heal, but in a long fight or where something is hitting the tank to hard you will tap the bottom of the well to quickly.

I like the nice balance, maybe a few extraordinary healing items offset with some good to great INT items or find middle of the row pieces with both int and healing.

My priest sits with about 6.7k in mana with her damage set @ 520 SD and her with her healing set she is up to about 8k mana and 750 healing.

Weapons I have noticed is a great way to get the great healing bonus while loosing only a stat and a half. I use a Mace with ~151 healing and off hand with another 63 healing on it. Now my int/stam is only have a decent two hander but has way more healing.

Yeah, balance between the 2. My healadin has over 10k mana, close to 900+hing. (And that's without the light buff, which is another 500+H, plus healing crits)

I do have an all intel set..that puts me near 13k mana, but..that means I have to cast a lot more..

In my experiance, 10.5k, some mp5 and the + h I have has been enough in all the lvl 70 5 mans I have main healed..

Danny

So i will look into some more intellect gear and maybe see if I can get some enchants on some gear as well. thanks
-Erik

I'm not as geared as Danny is on his Pally, I also still have a lot of +spell dam vice straight +heal gear, but I did that to maintain lots of spell crit as a Pally when healing. My mana pool is around 8600 with +450 or so Spell Dam (+550 Healing when using my + healing weapon) non-buffed with ~+55mana regen to boot. Roughly every 4/5th heal crits for me without talent use so while I do have to heal more a bunch of those are free. I've healed all the way through some very long 5-man boss fights fairly well. Some fights I'm convinced it does take 2 healers or at least a healer and a half, maybe if I was in T4/5 healadin plate or something it would be a different story. Balance is a key I think, but I'm a fan of spell crit for Pallies right now the way the talents are working together.

At the beginning of "raiding" with lvl 60 Wend I went with high int/ high mana regen because the sga healer pool seemed to run out of mana towards the end of boss battles. We were in need of a healer who could regen enough mana during our fights (our strat was to trade out main healers at about 35% mana so they could regen while someone else with full mana switched in to main heal) to save us at the end of boss fights. At lvl 60 I was running at 9k fully raid buffed and had approx 160-200 mana per tick regen. Slowly I was replacing my mana regen with +heals instead while keeping up my int because I noticed that I wasn't relying on my mana regen as heavily as I used to. However...I still loved my huge mana pool both in 5/10 mana instances and 20/40 man raids.

Now as a 70 I've noticed that the priestly gear has insane amounts of +heals. I've still concentrated on keeping my mana pool high (I set the bar at 10k unbuffed and won't dip below that). Wend has around 11k unbuffed mana and +1000 heals. I'm wearing the primal mooncloth set which has a bonus of allowing for a certain % of my mana to continue regenning while casting so its kinda the best of all worlds.

Consider your enchants carefully...their are quite a few of them that you can use to buff up the stats that you might find lacking. The librams of rumination can add 150 mana to both your head and legs -- 300 mana. We may be able to run ZG for the idols to enchant the head or legs (or both) with the uber enchants from there (int, mana regen and sta if I remember correctly). +heals (81?) or + int (35?) to your weapon. +heals (35?) to your gloves. int (12?) to your bracer, mana regen (6/5?) to your chest and those ever handy trinkets and necks for +stats. Wend is running with double mindtap talismans (11/5 each) although hearing that some mana regen stats were not calculating properly if they had the same stat (11 and 11) made me trade out to a 10/5 trinket with some +int as well. I wouldn't mind killing off ONY a bunch of times to try for the uber mana/regen trinket she drops (16/5?).

Anyhoo..that's my novel on the subject

As a pally, you have to take into consideration the value of spell crit. I'm getting tight for getting to work this morning so I don't have time to work the math, but if you go down the holy tree at all, you have to have picked up 5/5 Divine Illumination. +Int increases your spell crit chances and a heal crit is a free heal. You have to factor heal crits into your balance as a free +mp5 or factor it into your mana pool for longer fights. I try to ensure my unbuffed spell crit chance is over 20% when playing a healadin. I am not sure of the new end game, but pallies were often called to cleanse and that is a drain on your mana pool as well. +heal does you no good if you are OOM.

Also the spellthread can replace other legging enchants - made by tailors with aldor rep.

I can make the Silver Spellthread (+46 heal, 15 stam), and am slowly working my way towards making Golden Spellthread (currently 51 heal, 18 stam, but is supposed to be upgraded in the next patch)

Well, just when I post about the free heal it gets nerfed in the patch notes to 50% cost instead of free.

If I find that I don't have enough longevity I will get more spirit/mp5.

If I find that I don't have enough mana for a burst damage moment in an instance, then int to the rescue.

Other than that I try and stack as much +healing as possible.

As a priest, I find that (in general) I can get outside the 5 second rule on all but the boss fights frequently enough, so I tend to try and load up on spirit when I can. In fact given a choice between +stamina/+spirit/+healing gear and +stamina/+int/+healing gear I will choose the spirit more often than not (assuming the stats are somewhat comperable).

I like to keep a mp5 set + high spirit (meditation helps here) if the boss fight is going to take a while, else I load up on int and +healing for the high damage/short duration boss fights.

Ok... long winded way of saying, it depends.

The illumination nerf really hurts my gear strategy for spell crit. Now I don't know what I'll do. Probably focus on +INT, +Heal, mana regen in that order and not worry any more about spell crit...

I haven't had a chance to heal for a while, I keep ending up MT. I did change my gear. Went from 800 plus heal to about 650. And went from 5K mana to almost 8K mana. MP5 is about 85. I never really focused on spell crit so the nerf wont be as bad for me.
But like I said I have not had a chance to test this out.

Zandura Hunter 0/30/31 LVL 70
Ziff Paladin 20/41/0 LVL 70
Hakkar PVP [HORDE]

Last edited:
As a pally, you have to take into consideration the value of spell crit. I'm getting tight for getting to work this morning so I don't have time to work the math, but if you go down the holy tree at all, you have to have picked up 5/5 Divine Illumination. +Int increases your spell crit chances and a heal crit is a free heal. You have to factor heal crits into your balance as a free +mp5 or factor it into your mana pool for longer fights. I try to ensure my unbuffed spell crit chance is over 20% when playing a healadin. I am not sure of the new end game, but pallies were often called to cleanse and that is a drain on your mana pool as well. +heal does you no good if you are OOM.

Though I do have +crit, I have 0 +crit gear on in my healing set. I MH lvl 70 5 mans as the only healer. 10.5-8 mana unbuffed, 1400 heals and some mp5. The progression of the pally as a healing class (heroic instances etc) is a more reasonable concern with nerfs to our healing abilities.

The illumination nerf really hurts my gear strategy for spell crit. Now I don't know what I'll do. Probably focus on +INT, +Heal, mana regen in that order and not worry any more about spell crit...

That's all I use, gear wise. I don't have a single piece of +crit gear on.
I'm betting after the 50% nerf I will still be able to MH the 5 man content without going broke on healing pots. (Provided I continue to have a good skilled, good geared group, it's not all hanging on the tank/healer..) It's the content after that..where this nerf could potentially be a more serious issue..If we can't compensate for the loss in some other way.. In the end, blizzard is about $$$, if it hurts them there they will fix things.

I do not know if it has been stated in this topic, but i do know it has been stated on these boards before. when blizz made the change in TBC to give alliance shammies they stated the reason was to allow both classes to expand in to a roll, shammies more healing and palis more tanking.

Yeah...that's a good point..Blizzard wants all their toons viable...
Toon manipulation, population control is an ongoing thing..
I'm guessing they monitor lvls..and buff/nerf from time to time to try and keep them all viable, appealing..

In the end, I do not care if they push paladins towards tanking..and shammies towards healing..I'll just adjust with the changes.

Danny

I have yet to have a shammie in a run, but i am curious if they are, or could be, a better healer then a pali.

I do not know if it has been stated in this topic, but i do know it has been stated on these boards before. when blizz made the change in TBC to give alliance shammies they stated the reason was to allow both classes to expand in to a roll, shammies more healing and palis more tanking.

Well if that is true I Blizz needs to give Pallys more ways to obtain avoidance and some migration. I get crushed in the Shattered Halls. Then agian it might be my gear??? I don't have the best.

I have yet to have a shammie in a run, but i am curious if they are, or could be, a better healer then a pali.

My wife plays a resto shammie. Good healers with earth shield and chain heal. Not as good with the mana usage.

My pally is holy specced, specced for healing.. and I have Off-tanked SH several times through in tanking gear successfully. I have my Heroic Key now. You may need a better tanking set, better strat, better group config..
It can definately be a hard place..initially.

My pally has around 10k stam unbuffed and 13k+ armor..440 defense in tankin gear. (I use the felsteel set)

Last time I went I tanked with a warrior, 2 dps and 1 healer. We one shotted every single pull. (1 sap, icetrap and me and tank bunched up all others and the dps just burned them down while we held them).

Back