Preload

Gilga

So I got my early access email today ... but am not sure whether I should go for it ... or just wait until the DVD shows up next week.

How big is the preload? How hammered are those servers today?

For those of you who have gone down the path already ... how's it working?

Worth the hassle for one extra week, or just wait until next week?

To weight your answers properly ... while I am certainly looking forward to SWTOR, I am not having to wipe slobbery drool off my chin in anticipation these last few days ... and in general I am pretty frustration-average on these pre-launch things (e.g. I hate betas).

Download took me about 4 hours, servers are buttery smooth. Launch has been so successful they have done multiple bonus rounds of invites. Pretty much been an epic early access.

Well that's encouraging!

4 hours on what kind of connection? I suspect my home 2.5Mbps DSL would e a smidge longer (like 40 hours) ... but maybe my work connection (25-30Mbps) would be comparable?

How big's your SWTOR folder, in fully-done mode?

It's encouraging that the pre-launch has been smooth. Maybe I'll get an invite sooner than expected :)

So, maybe I will be playing by the weekend...

20,000,000,000 File size (B)
160,000,000,000 File size (b)
2,000,000 DL speed (b)
80,000 DL time (s)
1,333 DL time (m)
22.22 DL time (h)

but if I use my entire 5GB monthly LTE allowance to get a head start, that leaves...

15,000,000,000 File size (B)
120,000,000,000 File size (b)
2,000,000 DL speed (b)
60,000 DL time (s)
1,000 DL time (m)
16.67 DL time (h)

So if my wife doesn't notice that I'm sucking up out entire household bandwidth for the next day, I'm golden!

So, maybe I will be playing by the weekend...

So if my wife doesn't notice that I'm sucking up out entire household bandwidth for the next day, I'm golden!

Wife? My wife and daughter don't notice anything.

My son however.... talk about death eater bandwidth hog....

So I used the 5GB in about 2 hours ... and now have pulled down another 5.5GB at home over the last 5.5 hours. So assuming the grand total is 19, that's 8.5GB to go ... maybe will be finished in the a.m., just in time to go to work. Goodie!

Gotta say, the DL process is pretty smooth ... no "firewall" error messages or broken connections. I'm pretty impressed with EA/Bioware's delivery so far, with them having accomplishing nothing besides fill my hard drive...

So if we'd had a Redeemed launch gathering for this, what would we have called it?

Meatsaber?
Meatpublic?
Meat-2D2?

Meatpublic is out since most are Sith....

I guess Darthmeathammer is just wrong?

but, MeatSaber is just about right...

Funny you say that ... whenever I try to play against character in games like Mass Effect or Fable or even GTA ... I really really don't enjoy it. But anyhow, I'll give this darkside thing a whirl.

I'm sure that the order-seeking Imperials would be much more interested in googledocs than those pesky, disorganized, unwashed Rebels anyhow. I think I'm going to roll an Imperial Operative in hopes that some day "spreadsheet mastery" will show up on the talent tree. Not entire out of the realm of possibility, is it?

Now Amazon is saying that my box has shipped and will arrive tomorrow!? 5 days early! I haven't thought through everything but right now it seems like this whole staggered launch and overdeliver on expectations (e.g. promise late, deliver early) approach is totally genius on EA/Bioware's part.

Now Amazon is saying that my box has shipped and will arrive tomorrow!? 5 days early! I haven't thought through everything but right now it seems like this whole staggered launch and overdeliver on expectations (e.g. promise late, deliver early) approach is totally genius on EA/Bioware's part.

QFT

Back