PvE vs PvP

Please choose as many options as applies.

• I spend most of my time in PvP.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't enjoy PvP.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Abba San

Legacy of Elijah [LoE] - Proud Grandfather
I know there are those in the alliance who do PvP on a regular basis. I'm mostly PvE - because I do most of my stuff at odd hours, so usually by myself. Just never got into PvP.

I don't see an awful lot of us doing PvP, let along GvG. I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on PvP and why people don't do it.

I personally like to do PvP about as often as (if not slightly more than) PvE. I find that PvP requires you to engage your brain more and is much more effective at getting your adrenaline levels up. I like finding a balance between PvE and PvP so I don't get bored or frustrated.

Gah, sorry Jeffery for butchering your thread(s). I tried to be helpful and merge the threads to the one with the poll, but it made Abba's post first and I don't think I can fix it and it all went to the Underworld in a hand basket.

Edit: ok, I'm done. I just seem to be making things worse. Again I apologize Jeffery. If you'd like you can remake your thread and restart from scratch and I'll delete these two or we can try and salvage this one. It'll be like a misshapen Bone Horror.

Last edited:
JQ is all I do as far as PvP is concerned and that is less than 10% of my time spent in game. I am pretty much only still in GW1 to max my HoM and get ready for GW2. Sadly the game has kind of lost its luster to me.

Last edited:
I am pretty much only still in GW1 to max my HoM and get ready for GW2. Sadly the game has kind of lost its luster to me.

I'm with you on this one Elhanan. However, I just finished my HoM so all that's left is to get my sweet tooth title for GWAMM and then I'll be "done" with GW. I haven't PvPed in a long while. SoE used to have a PvP team that met weekly for HA, Team Arenas (when it was around), some GvG, and AB.

I am R6 Hero, R10 Kurzick, R4 Zaishen, and R3 Skillz, so I've PvPed a little bit and do enjoy it much more than PvE. I totally get what you say Jeffery about the strategy and feeling that adrenaline rush. My heart was going crazy when we won Halls against two top guilds (who decided to obliterate each other as we ran relics for the win). But there's nothing quite like seeing your name/guild's name flash across the screen and you get to open the chest in Halls. However most of the Team has moved on and I fell out of the PvP scene, certainly HA, I have no idea what the meta is today. But I do enjoy it, and since my HoM is filled, I do plan on PvPing a bit more as I've done "everything" in PvE.

As far as why people don't PvP, most people are here for the RPG element and not the competitive aspect. Plus I feel like most people are afraid of PvP. Especially with the elitism "you must be R11+ to join!" makes it nearly impossible for a PvEer to transcend to even casual PvP.

Well I easily work around the elitism thing in HA by leading the group and taking a few friends along. Personally I don't mind about ranks in my team that much, as long as I let everyone know what their job is. The only exception to that would be the monks, where practice is essential if the team is to survive.

I've played HA a fair few times recently and am very used to the current metagame and how to do my part to counter it as a mesmer. I'm also willing to teach people how to play in PvP to those who want to learn, I've already brought a few of my friends into the PvP scene recently and they thoroughly enjoy it.

I think the main issue with people not doing PvP is that they're afraid to come out of their comfort zone and try something they haven't done before. Also there's the issue with the fact that they'll be against people with experience, but everyone has to start from somewhere.

I enjoy pvp and i'm willing to give it a try again. I really liked HA when we did it.

However I get frustrated with it very easily. I have 3 main issues.

1. My experience with pvp has mostly been the elitism. If you're not high ranked you cannot get a team and if your guildies aren't interested you're basically outta luck. No team available, no pvp.

2. Flamers. RA is fun except no one enjoys being flamed and cussed at non-stop while trying to learn. Result: we only learn that pvp'ers are a bunch of 9 year old morons with potty mouths and leave.

3. When we did organize for pvp it was mainly just sitting around a guild hall for an hour waiting for the 6th player to finish up some mission so we could go. Then he joins us and the leader tries to organize builds. The ranger says he can't run that build so he'll just bring these random 8 skills instead because those are all he's unlocked. We then need to help the mesmer cap 2 skills that are essential because he doesn't have them. We finish doing that and now the monk says it's past his bedtime and leaves. We grab a hero monk, play 1 game and everyone leaves.

Yeah, i'd love pvp if i actually got to play some. I started telling the HA team that i'd meet them in HA with the proper build ready to roll....call me when you're ready to zone in.

I'm in the "JQ only when I need faction to get skills or Amber or feel like killing some time" category, and even that frustrates me because people rage quit after the other team gets 2 jade more than yours, people call everyone bots, even when they are really playing, when they run a build that can't seem to be stopped for some reason, etc.

I'm open to trying, but I really don't get that competitive with the game, and my experience so far shows me that without a competitive bone in my body I don't try that hard and don't do that well...I'm usually the one who gets brought down in a couple seconds and can't seem to defend myself....but maybe I'm not running the right build the right way.

That's what we lack.....PvP is a lot harder than PvE and we need to learn to run the right builds in the right way. It's not easy but with practice we could at least be competitive even if we're never considered a top team. I just hate that we have to be constantly flamed while we're learning and at least for HA, it's difficult to find 8 people (2 of which must be monks) that can put in the hours required.

At this stage most folks are working on HoM and waiting for gw2. (I'm really looking forward to that World vs. World battle)

I have not stated my personal reasons for not PvPing before, the above reasons would be enough, but even more so with some of my disabilities. The rage and frustration would just be more than I could handle and I would probably quit the game for some time to recover. PvP would never be fun for me. Also I cannot handle being competitive against people, I take it way too seriously, not good for my Christian walk and witness.

I think we should consider friendly guild battles between our guilds at some point. This would bypass any elitism as well as non-constructive criticism and a place to work on your PvP skills.

As far as builds are concerned, you should start with a preset build then modify it to suit your needs/abilities. A good place to start would be taking a build from here: http://www.gwpvx.com/Build:Team_-_GvG_Dom_Balanced
You can then modify your build to your liking and test it out to see how it works. Hopefully some constructive criticism and practice with your build will get you on the road to joining in competitive PvP.

Also I cannot handle being competitive against people, I take it way too seriously, not good for my Christian walk and witness.
On the contrary, it would be good practice for withstanding criticism. The key concept with criticism is not to take it the wrong way and to use it constructively. If someone yells at you and calls you a noob for using the skill Resurrect in PvP, ask a guildmate or friend what's wrong with it and that way you'll learn, rather than raging out and quitting.

Proverbs 9:9 said:
Instruct the wise and they will be wiser still;
teach the righteous and they will add to their learning.
1 Peter 2:23 said:
When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly.

Last edited:
I play Guild Wars to have fun. PvP is not fun to me - so I do not play it. Nothing wrong with PvP - I just don't enjoy it. I did what I had to do to finish some quests or missions and that was enough for me.

Back