Raid Frames

Elwood

Hey all.

I finally got attuned for Kara and while I am not sure when or if I will be in there before WotLk comes out, I want to be prepared with a good raid mod. Back in the MC days it was all about CTomd. What are people using now and why have you chosen to use it? I use X-Perl but have heard that some do not like how their raid frames are set up.

Thanks for the input. I realize that all posts will be subjective and absolve you of any inconvenience on my part should I choose to try your favourite and then disagree with your viewpoint. :)

I know you are just asking for unit frames, but I am listing the 3 mods I feel will help you overall with raids:)

I use this unit frame mod and really like it for all the frames, including raid frames. There are several option packs you can get for it also.
Ag Unitframes

These 2 are bossmods that I recommend you use one of to help know what is happening on the fights.

BigWigs Bossmods
or Deadly Boss Mods

Using a threat meter is just huge for dps. It lets dps know just how far they can push without drawing aggro and possibly wiping the raid so they can mamimize their dps.
KlhthreatMeter

As far as Threatmeter - several of us have been switching over to Omen lately as it seems to do a better job when switching between different mobs. I used KTH for a long time and liked it too.

Xperl unit frames is also decent - I like their raid frames. I have never tried Aq, but may based on Angie's post.

Yeah, I tried Omen and didn't find it to be as accurate. I know it is still being developed though.

I have found Omen to be far more accurate than KTM. The only times Omen appears to be inaccurate is when someone is running KTM, it appears to give some misleading information to Omen (since Omen reads KTM's broadcasted threat information).

I may be old school, off my rocker, just really stubborn, or something else but I think threat meters take so much skill out of play.

It's easy to watch a set of bars to tell you when and when not to do stuff, but it takes skill to know instinctively when and when not to do something.

Gaming to me is about testing my own skill at tackling content. Watching a bar to tell me when and when not to press a button sounds like a job I would grumble about when I got home =)

But I am weird like that . . . wanting my gaming to not be like a job =)

BTW, I use TrinityFrames for my raid frames . . . oh, wait . . . :D

Edit: BTW, I am thankful that The Forgiven has not mandated any addon as mandatory to use :)

Running with new folks I have discovered just how useful a threat meter can be when everyone is using it. Dps can be maxed and no one pulls aggro off the tank, or very rarely. This in turn leads to less wipes, and faster acquisition of the shiny pixels that are needed for content progression.

Guess I need to try trinity frames, I have been using x-perl for a while. As far as threat meters I try and use it when the tank is someone I am not use to running with. Besides for that It sits on the screen and takes up precious real estate.

I understand the comment form Azolas, and resisted any sort of threat meter for a long time, until I read that Blizzard was planning to introduce them into the standard UI (this was last June). Prior to that point, I used a version of KTM to play around with the threat mechanics between me and my pet so I had a better understanding of how threat worked in the game. Other than that it was off. Since that time, A meter is running any time I am in group. I don't have the post in front of me, but once it seemed that Blizzard was expecting us to use it, I have given up the fight and joined the dark side *grin*.

It was announced in the info with the next xpac. Angie posted the blizz info in this thread.

I've kinda been going back and forth for a long time about whether or not to use them. I use a damage meter to see how I stack against other people in my class, other people in my role... so I know if I need to be improving my gear/playstyle... I think this is just more of the same. I don't always rely on the meters, as they tend to be buggy, but it gives me general ideas about if I'm way overnuking a tank's ability to hold agro. (On the converse, as a tank, being able to watch how other people's abilities affect threat has really opened my eyes about how I play my 3 alts, as well)

On the other hand, it's also been very nice to see numbers pop up with exactly how much threat a specific ability generates. Do I use binding heal or two flash heals? Prayer of Mending or a group heal? I'll admit that I've altered the way I heal to reduce the amount of threat I generate - something that is not always indicated clearly on the tooltips.

It's not always about just mashing what button the game says... but when you're learning new encounters, sometimes you have to learn to play differently, anyway. Why not have one more tool at your disposal? After wiping on the same boss a dozen times, I was reading the forums and trying what other people found through using threatmeters... is that really any different?

Eh, I don't know. I just don't see the point in fighting it anymore. Why continue to make wheels out of stone when we have vulcanized rubber? :)

I'm still resisting threat meters as well. Honestly, with solid (equally geared and skilled) tanks I haven't pulled agro in ages. I can't remember the last time I pulled anything except trash.

I use Xperl for my player, party, target, and focus but still use CTMod raid frames. Mainly I just don't like the look of the Xperl raid ones. That being said, on my healer characters I bite the bullet and use Xperl raid frames because of the neat features: resizing frames, distance checking, debuff/buff display options, etc. There are some other, more specialized healing raid frames (Grids?), but I'm hesitant to load up another set of unit frames. Especially since my healers aren't even 70 yet ;-)

I've started using Pitbull raid frames. It is a ace mod, and once I got the hang of it it turns out to be really good. It has a range feature, over heal feature, aggro feature, and you can turn it on to show damage in the raid frame itself. Good to know who is getting hit and if they will still get hit. Great for Moroes if you ask me. Anyway, check it out if you're looking for a low memory(atleast better than x-perl for me) nice looking raid frame.

Back