Ram question?

it might.  the computer automatically detects ram put in.  Taking out the ram and puting it back in might find that 1mb you lost.  Other than that, i dont know.

cool, well helped one person, now if anyone can help me with my question
rock.gif
rock.gif
rock.gif
rock.gif
rock.gif
 dont everyone answer all at once now, i only have till mid next week, lol

riverway, if it doesnt detect the ram or find the lost 1mb, then re-seat the ram in the second DIMM bank, and see if that works.

i have 512mb right now in it, and i'm getting a 1gb mid next week, i just want opinions of if i should mix the ram speeds, the 512 is slower, with the faster and bigger ram module? I could have a max of 1.5gbs in the thing at once.

I have 2 184 pin DIMMS on my motherboard.  DIMM 0 has a 512mb module running at PC2700 or 333mhz, I will have a 1gb DIMM in the DIMM 1 slot running at PC3200 or 400mhz.  I can have a total of 1.5gbs of RAM, but if i do that my 1gb will bump down to the timings of the 512 to 333mhz.  But is having that much worth the sacrifice in speed.  OR should I just use the 1gb 400mhz in the DIMM 0 slot?  My system bus is 533mhz, I need a new cpu to up it too 800mhz
sad.gif
then it wouldnt be a problem, the 1gb would be my pick due to that the speed is a mulitple of the system bus.  But that isnt a factor here.  What I'm going to do is benchmark my system doing it both ways and see what i get.  I just want to see what i should do first.  I'm not worrried about a warrenty, it is 4 months old.  Another thing i'm kinda concerned about is heat, I mean this is a laptop and with more ram running faster, might create some heat problems
rock.gif
 Its not going to be a problem to upgrade, i got that covered.  What laptop will have a 160gb hard drive and possibly 1.5gbs of ram with out spending over $1000. hehe

bah, the seller at ebay cancelled my order saying i didnt pay!!! I DID!!!!!, paypall is messed up.  So i guess no RAM for me, unless the seller is nice and still offers a direct credit card charge, they already charged my mom's credit card but say we didnt pay.  GRRRR
mad.gif

Ok, the ebay order is a no go, so i'm going to hit the local computer stores to see what i can get. I took my laptop apart and it has a company of ram i have never heard off and cant pronounce. Its 512 PC2700 333mhz DDR with a CAS latency of 2.5 So i'm looking for a namebrand company of 512 PC3200 with a CAS latency of 2.5 for about $100. Like centon, kingston, corsair.

Ok, got my answer.  I just picked up 2 512mb buffalo PC3200 400mhz ddr DIMMs, CAS latency of 2.5.  Works like a dream.  I gained 25fps on flight sim 2004, havent tried steam yet, but i'm going to install the fusion pack for cs again, see if it works better than last time.  My boot time decreased by about 15 seconds also.  Now can someone explain to me how to get them to run in dual channel mode
rock.gif
i have no idea how to or what to do.

ok, this is a ram topic, so here's an update: my ram still doesn't work even wth the new stick. going to have to get new ram compatible with the mobo, leaving my comp helpless in the meantime.GRR!!

Back