Red Dead Redemption?

Hey all! I have a quick question.

I would really like to get the game Red Dead Redemption, however, I'm uncomfortable buying a game with nudity in it. So my question for those who have played it: Should I be hindered from buying this game because of the nudity rating?

Thank you for any/all help!

I think that's less of a question for people who have played it and more of a question for you.

My $.02 is that there are plenty of other great ps3 games out there.

I think that's less of a question for people who have played it and more of a question for you.

My $.02 is that there are plenty of other great ps3 games out there.
Agreed.

Plus I'm not a fan of Rockstar to begin with. Purposely inciting controversy instead of allocating and spending a marketing budget is a lazy tactic and sex, profanity, and "life of crime" scenarios are, more often than not, crutches in lieu of quality narratives and characters.

All that being said, I've read RDR is a notable departure from the "This M rating for violence and sex will sell like hotcakes to 13-year old boys whose parents don't pay any attention to ESRB ratings" Grand Theft Auto formula. Still, if you feel uncomfortable or convicted considering buying the game, don't buy it. As Ryan said, there's no shortage of awesome games on the PS3.

Last edited:
Well, I'm really interested in the game, but I don't want to get into the game that's going to be filled with needless amounts of nudity and all that crap. So my question is basically is the nudity rating for only one short cutscene, or is it something that appears in the game quite frequently?

And I know there are plenty of awesome games for the PS3, I just can't find them (besides the ones I own), and this one has struck my interest the most.

As far as sexual content is concerned, ESRB's detailed objectionable material synopsis has this to say:
"The game contains a scene in which two characters have sex on a table; there is a brief instance of female nudity."

The ESRB has actually really stepped up their game lately. You just have to go to the website for more info than their brief descriptors offer on the back of a case. They're usually very reliable, particularly when it comes to material on the harsher end of the spectrum.

Well, I'm really interested in the game, but I don't want to get into the game that's going to be filled with needless amounts of nudity and all that crap. So my question is basically is the nudity rating for only one short cutscene, or is it something that appears in the game quite frequently?
If you're interested in why a game is rated what it's rated, I recommend checking the ESRB Ratings web site.

Here's the listing for Read Dead Redemption.

EDIT: D'oh. Kendrik beat me to it by 6 minutes.

If you're looking for an open world game featuring a street-wise, hard-edged, and reformed former criminal seeking to right wrongs in an exotic locale AND want to avoid games with nudity but are 17 or over and don't take issue with virtual violence, you may want to look into Yakuza 3. Fair warning, though: I haven't read the ESRB ratings explanation for Yakuza 3 for fear of spoilers.

Note that this is NOT an endorsement of the Yakuza series.

And I know there are plenty of awesome games for the PS3, I just can't find them (besides the ones I own)
I don't know what your PS3 library looks like, but I can speak from personal experience when I say that looking beyond disc-based games and including downloadable titles greatly strengthens the PS3 library. I've already purchased three games on PSN (Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix, Critter Crunch, and Money Idol Exchanger) and plan on purchasing more (Rocket Knight, Pixeljunk Eden, Turtles in Time: Reshelled, Castle Crashers, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World) when I find employment and/or when the games go on sale.

Last edited:
EDIT: D'oh. Kendrik beat me to it by 6 minutes.
Bwahaha the Fireborn strikes again! :p

+1 (and then 9000) to PSN having a lot of great games.

Also... wanna pick up Yakuza 3 someday, too. Too many things to spend money on; not enough money to spend.

Since I'm already off-topic... I gotta ask since my memory fails: Are you on my PSN friends list, Guitarooman?

Checked out Yakuza 3 (well, the demo from PSN), and I don't think I'd want to put the money into it. The combat system wasn't very fun and it just doesn't seem like my kind of game.

Since I'm already off-topic... I gotta ask since my memory fails: Are you on my PSN friends list, Guitarooman?

Do you mean me? Because there's no one else with Guitar in their name in this post...so if you do mean me, then probably not. I don't play online a lot, and when I first joined CGA it was when I JUST got my PS3 and had no wireless internet.

Do you mean me? Because there's no one else with Guitar in their name in this post...so if you do mean me, then probably not. I don't play online a lot, and when I first joined CGA it was when I JUST got my PS3 and had no wireless internet.
lol yes, I did mean you. I don't play a ton of games online (barring my fighting game obsession from consideration), but all the same... send me a friend request if you see fit. (KendrikTheRed)

What little I played of Yakuza 3 I loved, but I definitely get that it's not for everyone. The way that it felt something like a spiritual successor to Shenmue definitely earns points with me, though. :p

Also... wanna pick up Yakuza 3 someday, too. Too many things to spend money on; not enough money to spend.
Side note: If River City Ransom is a teenage delinquent, then Yakuza is RCR's middle-aged uncle who's served jail time.

I believe it's spelled Gitaroo Man.

The ESRB has actually really stepped up their game lately. You just have to go to the website for more info than their brief descriptors offer on the back of a case. They're usually very reliable, particularly when it comes to material on the harsher end of the spectrum.

Honestly lately I've wondered about that - a lot of ESRB links I've checked seem to read like an advertisement.

Back