Reviews of FFXIV and your thoughts?

Xaris

Reviews of FFXIV, at least here on the western side of the world, are poor. Gamespot, IGN, gamespy, gametrailers and others rate this game very low. There are however a couple of sites that rate the game 8 or above. I have not noticed it impact the game population, and most of you are still playing, so what are your thoughts about the reviews? Just products of a society that wants everything now without having to work for it/ everything handed to you on a silverplate, told what to think and how to do it, conqure quickly and then on to something else?

Does anyone know what kind of reviews this is getting in Japan/Korea?

I would agree with them. :) I pretty much quit playing, if I only have an hour or so I would prefer Starcraft, even with my losing streak.

There are shortcomings for sure, and some of them probably will take time to fix, but these abysmal reviews is a but surprising to me.

This level of critizisms usually indicate a game thats totally unplayable, and I dont think thats the way it is.

The reviews will really hurt the sales of the game. And the big question is how many that will keep subscribing after the first month.

Maybe the japanese crowds can subscribe in enough numbers too keep the game afloat, and with PS/3 release maybe it can start to take off.

Maybe. If. I dont know.

One thing is for sure though, if this game sinks I will be sad. Its the only MMO i play right now. And I think that some of ideas in the game is really good

My prob with the game is that it seems to be mostly about grinding...I love story lines and lore...and other than the main quest line, it's just pretty much about doing the same kinds of leves daily, going out and gathering or just killing random creatures and that's about it. Definitely doesn't keep me hooked.

My prob with the game is that it seems to be mostly about grinding...I love story lines and lore...and other than the main quest line, it's just pretty much about doing the same kinds of leves daily, going out and gathering or just killing random creatures and that's about it. Definitely doesn't keep me hooked.

I played a bunch of Japanese games this year, and my impression of those games is that they have a few things in common and thats central to the games

1) A story, often fairly good, sometimes incomprehensible
2) A staggering amount of fights / grind
3) Some obscure fighting system, usually including jumps when attacking

(I think that FF 14 actually is the first japanes game I played where there is not an extraordinary amount of jumping involved)

For some reason, it seems like the japanese customers really, really love to grind.

For me, its not that much of a problem. I expect progress in an MMO to be somewhat slow. And if i never reach lvl cap its fine. I will just enjoy the game world and communicating with other players.

I think it is a game with some promise but for the life of me I can't understand how SE couldn't fix some of the simple things that are wrong with it.

Getting items without an auction house or at least some menu to search up a retainer that is holding an item is atrocious. It's absolutely horrible and they need to fix it soon.

That being said, they need some more places with Guildleves. I don't mind grinding all that much, but what am I grinding for? I haven't been able to do any dungeons and I wish there was more explanation as to how and when I am able to do one.

Like I said, there is promise and with a few patches it might be an above average mmorpg, but right now it's feeling like it was rushed out of the storeroom and it's missing some key necessities!

I have seen all the reviews and agree with them. Will have to see what the Japanese reviews say.

For me is game could have been something, but SE refuses to change. The grind for me is not bad but they needed to put something in there to mask it, ie quests of some sort.

The UI is terribad and will not get better in my opinion

http://www.ffxivpro.com/forum/topic/15039/ui-lag/

If this is true then there attempt to stop rmt from ruining the game is ruining the game for me. So in a strange sense RMT ruined the game with out really trying. This game needs a proper PC UI and then one for the PS3. This thing about "unfair advantage" is just nonsense. There are too many things that PC mmo players expect in there UI as basic that SE just ignores because it has to hadicap PC users because of the PS3. In my opinion the PS3 ruined the game for me. But who knows maybe it will change.

Market wards will stay and they will put some search in there. Not sure how it will work. Changing classes on the fly is a incomplete feature to me since there is no way in the UI to save my settings for each class. You have to use macros, and lets face it, that is just a ghetto workaround. Maybe they will put something in there for it. With out a way in the UI to save gear and actions for each class it is incomplete in my opinion.

I like the idea, but all they did was say you don't have to go to the moogle to get your gear and change classes you can do that on the fly, but now you have to carry all that gear with you. That to me is just poor design. I would almost rather level alts for the jobs just for the inventory space.

They need to fix inventory pronto. And not just some auto sort button. They need to up the amount items stack for mats to atlest 99 and for ammo to a minimum of 999. I really want to level archer but arrows destroy my inventory. Items equiped should not show in my inventory, it's not like I can repair equiped items anyways. Better yet have a seperate tab just for gear that does not consume the global inventory and set that list to something like 100. They want you to play all classes but do not give you the space to do so.

IT seems from what I am seeing is they spent all there time making the game look nice and then ran out of time and slapped on and half-youknowwhat UI on and expect people to just deal with it. I mean the chat interface is the exact same thing from XI. Really they cant make a change to that? A general catch all and a combat tab. I just shake my head and wonder what happened here.

I know these things may seem little but I have to deal with them every time I play and it is wearing on me. I want to play and have fun and will see what they will do to fix these things if any this year.

Sorry for the rant, but I guess I did it because I wanted this game to shine. So far it is falling flat and it makes me sad.

They've been very poor, and I can agree with things to an extent on some reviews. I think the game needs a lot of improvement to aspects like UI lag, NPC load times, inventory management, crafting levels of certain items, menu navigation, more storyline quests, and less grinding. I have fun nonetheless, but I am and I am not disappointed at the same time.

I look forward to doing my leves when they reset, but by no means do I intend to just go out and grind afterwards during the lockout timer. I hate grinding. I want quests, and not just the same quests every other day. :(

I may wait to sub after my Buddy Pass ends to see if anything interesting is added and/or improved. The reviews aren't the reason for that, however.

Hoping it gets a nice dose of polish. The game's state in the beta made it almost unplayable even though I have a beefy PC. Hurry up, PS3 version. T_T

I know these things may seem little but I have to deal with them every time I play and it is wearing on me. I want to play and have fun and will see what they will do to fix these things if any this year.

Sorry for the rant, but I guess I did it because I wanted this game to shine. So far it is falling flat and it makes me sad.

Agreed. :-/

Hoping it gets a nice dose of polish.

I think it will take more than polish to fix up this wreck. :(

I played the release of FFXI (US), Vanguard, Age of Conan (not really sure why), Everquest II, Warhammer Online, Champions Online, and now FFXIV. Out of all those, I don't think FFXIV is the worst of the bunch, mainly because the game IS playable and that says a lot. Now, I agree with a lot of the reviews in regards to content, but what keeps me logging in is the underlying foundation of FFXIV that I agree with.

In retrospect, Vanguard had to be the worse release ever. That game had so much hype, but when it was release it was so buggy and incomplete. I would say it's worse than FFXIV, yet it got higher reviews. I think this is because the bar is higher these days for MMOs.

Age of Conan is a great example of how a game can recover from a horrid launch. When that game came out there was less to do and more balance issues then in FFXIV. It almost tanked after the first free month. So what did they do? Listen to the community, retool the game, and promote is as a re-launch. I got an email saying my account had another free month about 6 months after release. So I figured, "Hey, let's go check it out, it's free." And goodness! The game was what it should have been at release and was a solid game, just not my cup of tea for many reasons.

So, what's in store for FFXIV? I think it needs to follow a path similar to AoC and listen to the community to make a fun game, and then re-promote it with the launch on the PS3. If they do this, population should increase and we'll have a fun and enjoyable game.

So, why do I even log in with all the bad press? Well, I like the player driven economy, the class systems, accessibility for casual play, and the story (it really picks up at 15). Also the game picks up more post rank 20 when you have more goals as you start to do quests for your guild. So, for now I will play and see what changes for the better. If the December update is a flop I may have to reassess. But, I'll hold in till then.

Last edited:
Overhyped and made in china quality for a non f2p game. This thing is gona sink like a rock unless something is done fast.

I was keeping my hopes up for this to be a WoWkiller but apparently I am dissapoint. However they may be able to make a comeback like AoC... or drop the f2p hammer like LOTRO.

O ya have you read the news? They introduced some kinda public tracking system, and some people who reviewed and talked a lot about the game... actually quit long ago or played just pitiful amounts of time.
Seiyuu Rina Katou logged in once on the 2nd of October and never again, and after writing about her experiences playing the game with such enthusiasm throughout the rest of the month…
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/446/view/forums/thread/296457/page/1

*triple facepalm*

LAWL. Sorry I just enjoy seeing SE burn.

Back