Rift!

The game really is a melting pot of MMOs, They took the best stuff from many MMOs and have done neat things with it.

The UI is WAY more advanced then any base MMO out there. WoW wishes its base UI was this flexible and full of awesome. The actual UI elements and organizing is much more like Warhammer not WoW since its the same engine as Warhammer's I believe.

The game is clearly not trying to reinvent the wheel but learn form the great AAA games out there and copy from them all. EQ2, LotRO, Warhammer, WoW, those are all represented in this game, not just WoW.

Copying aside, it is really not a carbon of any game. It is very deep on its own and the more time you spend with it, you can see how much love and devotion these developers have put into it. There are many nuances and additions that none of the other games have yet.

I have found it getting more interesting as it goes along for sure. I felt is was amazing at level 1 however, so it might have grabbed what I want in a game more then others. I know that the game was not even on my radar till I tried Beta5 and after a couple days of play I knew I would not be returning to WoW or any other current MMO. Rift spoiled me way to much.

I agree that the platemail bikini was over the top. I always let my kids play with me for the character creation part. (they are too young to see the killing parts) and they commented "Daddy can we put some more clothes on her already??"

Last edited:
I have been reading some Dev interviews the past few weeks and listening to many podcasts. It is clear that one of the main target audiences for Rift is the "bored WoW player". Someone who loves the game but is tired of Azeroth. I think this explains the very intentional copying of WoW down to things like Green/Blule/Purple gear. Those things work and are familiar. Many of us love those things but are just tired of Blizzards content. Rift offers shiny new content in a very similar way and gives us a great experience that is alot like WoW but different and new.

I think that if a player is still totally engrossed with the Cata content, they will not be drawn to Rift. However, if you are starting to feel like your doing the same thing over and over and there is nothing left to do but raid and work on Resilience then Rift is the perfect new game.

I keep trying to see what it is that Rift does better than WoW...why not go back to Azeroth and lvl my characters there? As I find myself lvling up and doing instances and thinking of WoW I came to the conclusion that the difference comes down to Dynamic world events that can change you gameplay and the soul system.

The idea of tailoring your character and in 2 seconds going from a support Bard to a Tanking Riftstalker is amazing! The combination's possible and the ease (gear works for any spec!) is so awesome that words cannot describe!

Also how all of a sudden you see a message and hear a voice telling you doom is about to happen and the world turns dark and you open your minimap and see all the rifts and invasions...you feel that you need to do something...and I have yet to walk out and gone to a rift and not had a public group to join! That is amazing! How they can see when the population is rising in an area and catering to the need for action and supplying lots of Rift fun!

Btw I just ventured into Stonefield and it is scary knowing the enemy could be questing right next to you...or stealthed waiting for you to engage a Rift just to gank your healers!

Back