RL Skills and Knowledge

That's an impressive story. Depending on the size of blimps to runways, I can imagine it (sort of) happening.

Hmm... question is how a thicker atmosphere or lower gravity might come about. You could have it be an alien world, or alternate earth. Or, you could have a destroyed Earth being rebuilt, where a lot of the technology is lost, but their predecessors thickened the atmosphere in foresight of the rebuilding which would take place. So, the rebuilders develop WWII style planes and Airships, focusing on size and longevity of flight, rather than speed and numerousness.

Not sure if I'll use such a story, but I like the set up. I guess you could support more weight with hydrogen in a higher atmosphere world (I can see blimps becoming more useful)?

Anyone else have an interesting idea for a setting they wish to flesh out? I think I can help with combat-related stuff.

I looked something similar up long ago for one of my TF2 maps cp Hot Rocket which had a runway on top of an airship. Apparently while they fantasized about runway airships they never actually made one. They did have ones with "trapeze" arrangements that allowed airplanes to "land" by attaching to the bottom of airships though. Wiki

If I were to think about an air pirate situation I would probably think of it in terms of two ships in a Douglas Fairbanks picture. The pirate airship would attempt to disable the other's engine (ship equivalent is a mast/sail/rudder) by cannon or some other lighter means for airships. Then they would approach along side attaching mooring lines to cross over.

There was also the XF-85 Goblin. It was intended to be deployed and recovered by a bomber. Two prototypes were made and tested but the project was abandoned.

That's an impressive story. Depending on the size of blimps to runways, I can imagine it (sort of) happening.

Hmm... question is how a thicker atmosphere or lower gravity might come about. You could have it be an alien world, or alternate earth. Or, you could have a destroyed Earth being rebuilt, where a lot of the technology is lost, but their predecessors thickened the atmosphere in foresight of the rebuilding which would take place. So, the rebuilders develop WWII style planes and Airships, focusing on size and longevity of flight, rather than speed and numerousness.

Not sure if I'll use such a story, but I like the set up. I guess you could support more weight with hydrogen in a higher atmosphere world (I can see blimps becoming more useful)?

Anyone else have an interesting idea for a setting they wish to flesh out? I think I can help with combat-related stuff.
My knowledge of astrophysics is limited but, if you have lower gravity, you would have thinner atmosphere. The gravitational pull of the planet is what creates the atmosphere, more gravity/heaver elements and denser atmosphere. I would suggest the use of something like an autogyro which would be more in keeping with a what you are describing but have a much lower speed necessary for takeoff and landing. You would need to accommodate the rotor but that can be folded once the vehicle has been recovered.

My knowledge of astrophysics is limited but, if you have lower gravity, you would have thinner atmosphere.
Completely forgot about that.

There's something fun about those autogyros. Now PIRATES in autogyros... that sounds more fun than a barrel of monkeys!

Those always make me think of "The Road Warrior". I wonder if putting a shroud around the top prop would be unfeasible? It would make contact a little less dangerous.

They didn't. But his IQ has been estimated to be between 160 and 180. I like 170 cause it right in the middle. In 8th grade mine was 167. I have an amazing ability to quickly understand just about anything. I taught myself assembly language in 7th grade. And have taught myself numerous other things I found interesting (I made a triangle with two right angles and only 3 lines in HS geometry which caused the teacher to kick me out after I gloated about it.)

I am slightly OCD as well (anyone who's seen anything I build in a minecraft server will tell you this is true.

However, my poor social skills and lazy streak have seen me pretty much squander these amazing gifts God has given me. God has blessed me in every area of my life (and still does every day), yet I live an average life. Drive and determination are far more important than talent.

Dude, are you me? Although I also have a real bad case of A.D.D. O'look a squirrel.. brb

Those always make me think of "The Road Warrior". I wonder if putting a shroud around the top prop would be unfeasible? It would make contact a little less dangerous.
I'm not an aeronautical engineer but (I slept at a Holiday Inn) I think a shroud would prevent the rotor from autorotation. Around the propellers might provide more concentrated and directional thrust.

I've got an english lit. degree specializing in literary criticism. I'm good at research, and I'm also good at turning research (of metanarrative ideas) into storylines. Unfortunately, despite my best efforts, I don't have any formal training in creative writing.

I also dedicated about 18 months of my life to reading everything Blizzard's developers ever wrote. I fancy myself to be decent at game design, but I don't have any formal training in that area.

I'm also very good at starting things but terrible at follow-up. Sometimes I think it's because I have a tendency to be very proud of my ideas -- and God resists the proud. My game ideas tend to have a large amount of resistance, methinks.

I never put my stuff up here...

I have a B.A. in psychology, I worked on a Ph.D. in Behavioral Sciences specifically infant and child development for many, many years, but had trouble with my research so I was unable to finish despite taking almost all the classes I needed.

I taught psychology and sociology at both a local university and two community colleges.

I got my M.Div in Biblical Studies in 2010.

I've worked for the Post Office, UPS various retail outlets as well as working for several years in IT at the university I attended doing tech support and tech writing (wrote several of a procedures for getting into our network).

little thread-rez here....

but I've been a firefighter and paramedic (EMT? squad-guy? ambulance person? whatever term you might use locally for a pre-hospital emergency care provider) for about 16 years, an instructor for EMS & Fire for about 8.

But I don't often remember to check all the forums. So if you need something, just PM me. Pretty sure those go to my email still...

Back