September 6th, 2005

.se3ker.

[Zophar advised Job], "You will surely forget your trouble, recalling it only as waters gone by."

-Job 11:16 (NIV)

I was in the midst of trouble -- facing cancer and all its uncertainties: Was the surgery successful? Will the cancer come back? How will my family cope if I die? I woke up with such thoughts every morning and climbed into bed with them every night. The dark cloud of cancer surrounded me even though I tried to listen to the promises of God. When I read Zophar's words in Job quoted above, it seemed impossible that my trouble would ever recede into the background like "waters gone by." But I stood on tiptoe in faith, reaching out timidly and asking God to make this improbable promise true for me.

Years later, I rediscovered this passage. As I read the words aloud, my spirit echoed back, "Yes! It's true!" With surprise and joy, I recognized that cancer no longer dominates my thoughts and daily activities. I live my life free of its grip. Of course, having cancer changed me in many ways -- mostly for good -- but I was amazed to see that my trouble had flowed past, receding into a memory. The Lord had made this verse, once beyond my grasp, now part of my everyday reality.

Marion Speicher Brown (South Carolina, U.S.A.)
Prayer:
Thank you, God of all comfort, that your word is true even when it is beyond our grasp. Enlarge our faith to believe more and more of your promises. Amen.

Back