Should we put down the 1.5 server and move to 1.6?

Should we put down the 1.5 server and move to 1.6? -

• Yes

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What? Who cares, I want American Army server

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Allanon

We are fast approaching the time where we would like to stop running about a 1.5 and 1.6 server. Both of them are not full, 1.5 is mostly busy far outstripping the 1.6 but some argue the 1.6 is not busy cause it is not running on the default port AND cause we are not "forcing" ppl to change off of 1.5 to 1.6. Soooo ... tell me what you are thinking, what is your take on this? 1.5 til it dies? 1.6 now and kill off that 1.5 nonsense? Speak now or forever hold your peace (or piece, aiming squarely at Ehud's HeadShot Magnetism)

Valve should get their act together. They were supposed to force the change a couple of weeks ago but now it's probably gonna happen in a year, knowing them.

i like america's army
biggrin.gif
more than cs now - why? because...its so realistic - but the one thing i hate is the long round times :S

keep the 1.5 up... it's so good 1.6 is still kinda bugged isn't it?

i say NO, because first of all, 1.6 doesnt run on my comp
tounge.gif
but besides that, it's still very buggy. it's not final, which is a downside, and Steam NEVER works unless u have a very awsome computer
sad.gif

PS. I'm back!
biggrin.gif

Hey, well well well, it is good to see you back. Did you get all that NS out of your system now? It will be good to have you back on the server.

What about changing the ports and running the 1.6 on the "main" one and the 1.5 on the secondary. We could then answer whether it's because of the port or because 1.6 sucks that the server isn't always busy.

There's no point having both up at once, since the 1.6 has been up I've seen people on it twice.... not even worth it.

I say put 1.6 on and force people to get steam installed and working - it took me the better part of a week to get steam to work but now that I have, it works fine. And if my computer can run it, anybody else's can too (maybe not orvilles).

Nic

1.6 is great. The leagues have been using it for the end of last season and all of this season, that is hundreds of clans and many servers, and the main pub servers I've been going to for the last years have all moved to 1.6. Not sure where all the "it's buggy, laggy, we shouldn't go there" and all that is from.

Steam is solid; I have yet to have an issue with it. It and 1.6 work great on my P4, P3, AMD so you don't need an awesome computer. Seriously, Trib is the only group of people I know that are still stuck in 1.5. In response to the poll... drop 1.5 and get on with 1.6.

Or dod would be nice too... i'm in a cal-i dod clan.
biggrin.gif

Well the posting on Steam's site saids otherwise. They acknowledge the bugs, they acknowledge that only about 50 percent of ppl have moved. They themselves say that steam is not quite stable ... yet. I'm cool with either, I think we need to either do one or the other and be done with it. Hosting both is rather pointless long term. I would like to drop one of them and add AA to the mix instead ... watch for the AA announcement coming soon
smile.gif

Ya, no need to host 1.5 long term, it's so yesterday. Hey, AA is a great idea. I play that every other day too. Not too bad, can be a campers game though.

Just to clarify I think that what MisfiT was talking about was that he personally hasn't expereinced any issues with Steam and it has been solid for him.  I have had the same experience.  We both play on many, many different servers and haven't had any trouble with it.  Steam also runs smoothly on the P2 computer we have, so there sould be no issues with anyones box unless it's ready to be taken out with the trash! lol
1.6 ROX....once you give it a chance.  I admit I didn't like it at first, but having played on it now for awhile, I enjoy it as much as 1.5.  I say ditch the 1.5 and go 1.6
smile.gif

Hmmm ... you guys are not helping any ;-) I was hoping to see a completely one-sided vote. I'll keep an eye on this poll for the next couple of weeks but I won't make any changes until further notice.

Bah just use 1.6

Shields are fun for messing with people =P

I love watching someone waste all their ammo then just pull out your gun while they reload and take their head off =)

I'm in agreement with midgetspy.  I have the Trib 1.6 server as a favorite in my servers but I never go on because it is empty.  If it was populated a bit the switch over 1.6 would be seamless.  It's the way with servers - no one wants to go to an empty one when they can go to one with people.  All it takes for us to get our server busy it to have a mod or two idle or play around and within a half an hour - boom - full server.

I'd like to see an good local AA server too, so I like that option.

Yup, ideally in the coming weeks we'll be announcing an AA server alongside of a CS 1.6 server. I do not think we should hold out til the bitter sweet end. On the flip side, 1.5 is working great, our regulars, by and large, are running 1.5 and having fun. I have a feeling that in the coming weeks, we'll move to 1.6 but I still want some more warm and fuzzies from Valve on steam. Especially since they plan on rolling out CS:CZ soon with Steam, I'm hoping to see Steam strengthen a bit. Plus some of you have read the Steam forums and man are there still some serious issues. Most of the server side stuff I'm fine with ... now but the client side will be a real pain for some of our 1.5 users.

Back