Slicing nerfed!

For one im glad slicing got needed. I didn't have it so I wasn't making a ton of credits from my professions. Makes it mote equal to others.

Was fun while it lasted. Both dailies and story/side quests still offer a real good amount of money though.

Thinking of dropping my slicing altogether, go average crafting skills. I'll see what Bioware's reply is with those concerns first.

Actually I would be cool with slicing getting rebuffed as long as they buffed the other crew skills to be almost on par.

The crafting crew skills are very weak in my opinion. I have only been making very slight upgrades to the custom gear I have. With badge gear and mods Armormech has been nothing but a credit and time sink so far. I posted stuff on the GTN that never sold becuase the UI is so horrid or people just didn't need it. I am hoping that max lv crafting will be worth it but so far it doesn't look like it will.

I agree with Cryogenic on this point. The GTN is so broken and hard to use, I have given up using it much...

That is what needs the fix right now... However I would agree I dont think crafting and PvE level should be bound. I agree that if you put in the effort a level 20 should be a billionaire. It should be possible for someone to put in effort in crafting along, yes even slicing, to build up a load of credits.

I also agree that the made items need a buff, and the GTN needs a OVERHAUL!

IMO.

One reason to "arbitrarily" tie character levels to crafting ability is balance. People instinctively appreciate balance -- they want the units of time and effort they put into the game to be worth about the same amount as the units of time and effort someone else put into the game. However, aside from psychological fairness, there is a bigger reason.

If you require a person to get past 40 to craft higher level stuff, it makes the higher level stuff that much more valuable since it can't be easily farmed by n00b alts.

Allow people to afk-craft their way to easy prosperity in the early game, and you immediately inflate the player-based economy into oblivion. It's the same reason that buying gold is so anathema, if people see others getting for free what they worked at for tens (or hundreds) of hours, they feel that they put in all that work for nothing.

Maybe you don't feel that way personally -- fine, but I'm talking basic psychology and the developers need the average player to be happy for years to come to be successful.

Last edited:
Hmm not sure I buy that. What makes a high level item's value is purely its stats in regards to other items with stats. Weather a guy who played a lot of adventure hours made it or a guy who played a lot of crafting hours made it has zero affect on the value to me and I'm sure the majority of the population. That sounds like psychology Mumbai jumbo but in the end the developers set the worth of an item simply by how good it's balance is in regards to every other item that fits in that slot.

If you need more risk/reward/time units , then make the leveling of crafting take longer and cost more, oh wait, crafting in SWTOR does cost a lot. (other then the broken pre-nerfed slicing)

More options = better for long run. I think crafting separate from adventure was a great choice by Bioware.

Last edited:
Hmm not sure I buy that. What makes a high level item's value is purely its stats in regards to other items with stats. Weather a guy who played a lot of adventure hours made it or a guy who played a lot of crafting hours made it has zero affect on the value to me and I'm sure the majority of the population. That sounds like psychology Mumbai jumbo but in the end the developers set the worth of an item simply by how good it's balance is in regards to every other item that fits in that slot.

If you need more risk/reward/time units , then make the leveling of crafting take longer and cost more, oh wait, crafting in SWTOR does cost a lot. (other then the broken pre-nerfed slicing)

More options = better for long run. I think crafting separate from adventure was a great choice by Bioware.

I think what he's going after is the supply and demand angle. If endgame gear can be crafted by anyone with a low level alt, then we're going to see a lot more of these items than if you had to level up in order to craft it. More of these items on the market means they are selling for a lower price. Then suddenly the player who has Profession X as his main profession is being undercut my someone's alt who has the profession as an afterthought and who has put very little time into it. It not only cheapens the main character's profession, but the profession system as a whole.

Sorry, I had two totally different points that got mashed together in a couple edits (as you noted).

Yes, people will "value" good gear with good stats, but if everybody can get it cheaply (or just by hitting a button) people won't feel that rush of endorphins when they finally beat the hard boss and get the gear they've been working for for weeks.

That's the whole point of endgame content -- to keep people striving for technically difficult achievements (and paying subscriptions) for which they are rewarded with the good gear.

The developers can control rarity solely by restricting the availability of crafting materials and schematics, but it puts a much greater squeeze on gold farmers if they are required to level to 50 before they can use the highest level schematics.

Back