So what's left for the DS?

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors, Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective, Radiant Historia, de Blob 2, Pokemon Black/White, Okamiden, and Monster Tale were all released for the DS in the last half-year. It's been a very good year for DS owners.

But now what? With the 3DS on the (slow) rise, it's clear that the DS is quickly fading from the spotlight.

Aside from Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2, there are no high-profile DS releases of which I'm aware.

But maybe I just missed the news...?

EDIT: Remember: The PS2 and Dreamcast saw new releases after many considered those consoles outdated. The PS2 had Persona 4, the Dreamcast had Puyo Puyo Fever; what will be the DS's "swan song" title? Or has it already been released?

Last edited:
I am sure it will be similar to the GBA/DS era...they will let it live for a year or so more with a slow trickle until life from the DS is gone. :)

Here are a few upcoming releases of interest (well, to me, anyway) listed on IGN:
  • Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth 2 - Dec 31, 2011
  • Atsumete! Kirby DS - Dec 31, 2011
  • Dungeon Raiders - Jun 28, 2011
  • Gabrielle's Ghostly Groove: Monster Mix - Sept 30, 2011
  • Shining Legend - Dec 31, 2011

Here are a few upcoming releases of interest (well, to me, anyway) listed on IGN:
  • Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth 2 - Dec 31, 2011
  • Atsumete! Kirby DS - Dec 31, 2011
  • Dungeon Raiders - Jun 28, 2011
  • Gabrielle's Ghostly Groove: Monster Mix - Sept 30, 2011
  • Shining Legend - Dec 31, 2011
I found an article stating Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth 2 would not be published in the US.

Atsumete! Kirby DS was localized and released in the US as Kirby Mass Attack.

I could only find one review for Dungeon Raiders: 22/100. Ouch.

The DS version of Gabrielle's Ghostly Groove: Monster Mix was canceled to focus on development of a 3DS version.

Shining Legend was originally slated to be released in the US in Winter 2010. It's looking like the game's been canceled.

It looks like Kirby Mass Attack may indeed be the DS's swan song. With a score of 85 on Metacritic, it looks like a solid closing act. :)

Nintendo never published Soma Bringer in the US, Capcom never developed a version of Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo for the DS (despite the DS being the best system ever for competitive puzzle games), and we never got a 2D Metroid. Aside from that, I can't say I have any complaints about the DS's library.

EDIT: Oh, and Aliens: Infestation releases tomorrow (Tuesday, Oct. 11). So there's that, too.

EDIT#2: Okay, there may be a few other games of interest:
It looks like Devil Survivor 2 will be the last "big" release for the DS, which is funny, since Persona 4 (also an entry in a Shin Megami Tensei sub-series) was one of last big releases for the PS2. And wasn't Yggdra Union one of the last big releases for the GBA? It seems like Atlus enjoys showing up late to the party (which is fine, since they make and publish some great games).

Last edited:
Pokemon Conquest and B+W2 (however for 1.50 you can get a 3ds Augmented reality game that allows you to catch pokemon and port them to B+W2)

Pokemon Conquest and B+W2
Yes. And I'm looking forward to both.

Haters can hate. I enjoyed Pokemon Black (well, until I realized just how much level grinding was going to be involved to defeat the Elite Four in the rematches).

I'm so looking forward to Pokemon Conquest. And with Black/White 2 right around the corner, I need to actually finish my main game of Black. haha

A) You can grind in the sports arena pretty quickly in Nimbassa
B) Pokemon B+W2 would have had me more excited if they had announced multiple continent access ie, Gold and Silver

Back