Spider-Man 2

Neirai the Forgiven

Christian Guilds List Manager
Okay, you may have caught a trend. I watch movies that everyone has seen, way after everyone sees them. Last night it was Spider-man 2.

In the off-chance someone may not have seen it before, I'm not going into the plot at all except to refer to pros and cons.

Cons: The scene where Dr. Octopus's claws go nuts while he's unconscious and kill everyone was... superfluous. I thought it went on for too long after it had established what had happened. It was rather gratuitous -- I mean, we all knew everyone was going to die, right? On the other hand, perhaps that was because they had to show the good doctor waking up and realizing what he has done.
Miss Watson really needs to reconsider the clothes that she wears whenever she gets attacked by rampaging super-villians. I mean, usually she dresses in a fairly modest manner, for which I am quite happy. But every time her life is in danger, she seems to be wearing things that are rather flimsy and leave not-to-much to the imagination at times. It's not just here, it's also in Spider-man. Basically, whoever's in control of the wardrobe here seems to be making her out to be a prize to be fought over, old school Tarzan-style.

Pros: Man, where do I start?
I loved Dr. Octavious, pre-Ock. He's a great man with some really wise words. He also references T. S. Eliot. So great!
The humor was great, too. Very subtle, but very funny without resorting to out-right joking or sexual humor.
Telling the truth and not hiding yourself also plays a huge role in this film. The storyline even goes so far as to detach from the original Marvel concept when it portrays Peter choosing to reveal himself to certain people.

Summary: Spider-man 2 is a movie about sacrifice, integrity, and priorities. In many ways, the things that the movie says about these subjects align with Christianity. Spider-man 2 teaches us that doing the right thing must always come first, even when it hurts us or damages our goals -- but also underscores the reality that heroes are normal people with normal needs and a drive to work and excel at what they do. The movie also underscores the fact that nobody does what they do alone -- they do it with the help of people who love them and who they love.

Would I see it again? Given a chance, definitely
Did I learn from it? Yes... although I'm still not sure exactly how much I learned... still digesting some nuggets.
Would I recommend it to someone who hasn't seen it? I already have.

Hey, went to the site today, signed up, all that nice stuff :)

Only problem is that I can't seem to add reviews... I can edit all the other stuff, but just not reviews. What am I doing wrong?

Back