Star Ocean $20 new/18 used @ gamestop

RyanB

Legacy of Elijah Guild Leader
Seems that the theme this week is putting games on sale that Ryan just bought for Black Friday. I paid $30 for this @ Amazon due to that being the first time I've seen it below $45. Hopefully Amazon matches so I can score some game credit.

I digress.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=76053

I've played it a bit and my initial impressions are pretty much what you would expect: it starts a bit slow (which crushes your review score), but picks up and is pretty fun and interesting.

WW3 is over, and the planet is left uninhabitable. It's time for YOU to set out with the Space Reconnaissance Force and find a habitable planet. Teenage kids end up getting wound up in the most unlikely of events that pull them into the bigger plot. Woah! Unoriginality aside, I'll take that over the overly convoluted and unnecessarily obfuscated stuff that square puts out any day.

All in all, I think it's one of the better RPGs on the PS3, especially if you like JRPGs or particularly Star Ocean, even if it isn't quite as polished as SO 3.

Cons:
Haven't added her to my party yet, but judging by the trailer the game confirms to the "JRPG must include at least one female character must be wearing scant and gravity defying armor for no purpose whatsoever" rule.

Pros (from what I've seen):
Realtime action in battle - this is a big plus for me

Kenny, don't read the following section)

Mining/crafting items
Cooking abilities/etc to turn random stuff into usable items
Lots of stuff to level up - level up characters, abilities, etc
600 battle trophies - could take a long, long time to fill these up
New game mode - I love it when they give you an extra challenge
If you've got grind-mind, could take hundreds of hours to plat with the crazy amount of stuff you can customize

Last edited:
Because you are a grindomatic! Saw I put my disclaimer in the wrong place; moved it to be more clear.

I'm grinding out Infamous right now. Go figure. XD

I cheated... and read it anyway. I think I want that game.

And/or Disgaea 3. Either one offers sick amounts of grinding things out. Level 9999? Puhlease.

Okay, these sales need to stop. Seriously. I only have $31 of gift money left and that's already reserved for another PS3 title.

I'd love to see some after-Christmas sales on PS3 games, too. At least then I'll have replenished my gift money "pile."

Also: Adding this game and price to my "Lowest game sale prices" page in OneNote.

I just want to mention that the voice acting in this game can be very very grating. Even in the Japanese option. @_@ Not all the time, it just can be. X_X

Dug the battle system though, it was pretty snappy. And yeah, you could easily get around 80 hours with this game. May want to snag the 360 Prima or Brady guide for it if it's super cheap. A lot. To. Do.

/no time to finish it yet
/9 hours in
/got this for 35 bucks on sale
/boo!

Last edited:
I'm grinding out Infamous right now. Go figure. XD

I cheated... and read it anyway. I think I want that game.

And/or Disgaea 3. Either one offers sick amounts of grinding things out. Level 9999? Puhlease.

As if I didn't know you'd look. That's like telling kids not to touch something.

On Disgaea...stay away you have no chance to survive make your time! There is so much in that game for power leveling...I just keep waiting to read a news story about it like people who max out points in bejeweled. I can see it now, as I log on to check the news in the winter of 2047:

"Man Achieves 9999 level 9999 items in Disgaea 3."

Seriously convinced the only reason I haven't read about this yet is because people are still too busy playing the first to call the news station about it.

I just want to mention that the voice acting in this game can be very very grating. Even in the Japanese option. @_@ Not all the time, it just can be. X_X

Dug the battle system though, it was pretty snappy. And yeah, you could easily get around 80 hours with this game. May want to snag the 360 Prima or Brady guide for it if it's super cheap. A lot. To. Do.

/no time to finish it yet
/9 hours in
/got this for 35 bucks on sale
/boo!

80 hours? Maybe if you sprint through, lol. I've heard estimates of 300-500 for plat, depending on how efficient you are @ getting the battle trophies.

Thanks for bringing up the bad voice acting. To be honest, I'm wondering if American voice acting in JRPGs is intentionally bad. For me, it's starting to become like a good B movie...the more awful it is, the better! My favorite is the "I sound super sleepy" person in each game.

It's just bad direction and or budget constraints. I mean, we can't all be Nolan North.

/awkward laugh because he's everywhere

There are a ton of... no wait, there are a select few JRPGs I played that have better than average voice acting. Lost Odyssey, Valkyria Chronicles (not an RPG, but still)... and uh... uhhmmm... some other games and stuff. >.> <.< Tek would probably say some niche PS2 JRPG had incredible voice acting and dialogue, but the man hasn't played Halo 3. Would you trust your kids and family with someone who hasn't played Halo 3? :|

I know you're trolling, but why would anybody admit to playing halo 3?

Edit: I don't buy budget constraints, though...there is no doubt I could go to any high school drama department and put a better cast together for free. Might have to stop by the grade school to cast "super high squealy voice person", but still, no budget needed.

Last edited:
Back