StarCraft Legacy's StarCraft II Zerg coverage

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
Pause your BitTorrent downloads, stop streaming your music, and cancel that WoW patch--here's a better use for your bandwidth.

Check the Zerg Coverage sidebar on the right side of the site.

Discuss after you've taken in some of the new screenshots, concept art, and videos.

Will you be first in line for for Starcraft 2? I seem to recall you were quite the expert at SC/BW..

Will you be first in line for for Starcraft 2?
I plan on pre-ordering as soon as possible, yes.
I seem to recall you were quite the expert at SC/BW..
Not so much an expert as a huge fan. I was never anywhere near pro level, though I could hold my own in most pub (public) games.

I was actually a big fan of SC/BW, I think I even had you training me at one point. I'm actually planning getting it from what I've seen so far. I loved the Protoss so I'm looking forward to the new incarnation of SC2 and see if it holds a candle to the original.

My question is will it still be Battle.net hosted or will it be a monthly fee for online play. I wonder if you'll be able to host your own servers like before.

A Roach bug... :confused:

Zerg look more heavily armored than SC/BW.

The Ultralisk looks very cool and seems almost as strong as Torraque.

And the Infested Terran stats are lamer than SC/BW. It uses a gun!
The unit does seem realistic since a Infested Marine would just look infested...but it better be infested by a Terran Barrack, not a Terran Command Center!

I'd still would prefer Terran over Protoss and Zerg.

Looking from the screenshots, it looks like the Firebats will be in, they look much bigger than the Marines. They look like big gorillas.

http://www.starcraft2.com/screenshot.xml?s=73

I notice something interesting in screenshots #74.

It looks like a Vulture but it uses a extended range of a Flamethrower.

A Mech that uses a Flamethrower, heh.

http://www.starcraft2.com/screenshot.xml?s=74

Last edited:
I was actually a big fan of SC/BW, I think I even had you training me at one point.
I might have been, though I can't imagine I was a very good trainer.

I did learn from two excellent players, though: Candle and Kralgon. I haven't spoke with either in a while, but I'm hoping they'll reappear closer to the retail release of StarCraft 2.
My question is will it still be Battle.net hosted or will it be a monthly fee for online play.
I sincerely hope it's free. If it is free, there'll be ads, like before, but I hope it's nothing more sinister than that.

Since Blizzard is basically printing their own currency with WoW, I would hope that they wouldn't get too greedy when it comes to the real-time strategy community.
I wonder if you'll be able to host your own servers like before.
If Battle.net isn't laggy as mad and if it isn't impossible to play games with more than 3 players, then we won't need to host our own server.

When we hosted our own Battle.net server (codenamed "Zion"), it was because Battle.net was in horrible shape and there was no free online alternative. (There was Kali, but that cost money.) We had some awesome games on Zion, but once Blizzard got their act together and fixed the worst problems with Battle.net, I was content with just having our own B.Net channel.

Then again, if Battle.net turns to p00 like last time, we'll investigate alternatives that will allow us to play a stable game with 4+ players online.

Ahh yes Candle....I remember him too. I think I recruited his help as well. There were quite a few people with mad SC/BW skills.

Ahh yes Candle....I remember him too. I think I recruited his help as well. There were quite a few people with mad SC/BW skills.

Heh, mad skills...

Master~Plan used to play SC/BW with others like Candle and Kralgon.

Colonel-VVolf, Know~Jesus!, American_Brit, etc.

They were fun to play with too, especially as a Novice, and suicided on the first 2 mins. I would kill my own CC and they would all get confused on how I died. ;)

Tek7 said:
Then again, if Battle.net turns to p00 like last time, we'll investigate alternatives that will allow us to play a stable game with 4+ players online.

We played with 7+ people, (2v2v2v1; 1 = me), the lag wasn't that bad. Now, its just really based on a stable connection.

The FAQ says SC2 would use B.net as does SC/BW.

The theme would look SC2-ish. The avatars would be better than a Marine in SC and a Medic in BW. (Orc in Warcraft 3, Various characters in D2, etc.)

http://www.starcraft2.com/faq.xml

It would also be nice if I could watch and hear the SC2 Zerg Trailer, smoothly...

This PC's WMP is still uploading the movie, picture-by-picture. :mad:

I am hoping this uploading, picture-by-picture will help the PC and WMP work progressively.

I really look forward to the game, but all I can do is watch and read about it.

Well, I saw it on YouTube, very nice. Then I looked at the Zerg Gameplay, I'm impressive and shocked.

Ultralisks can borrow!

Infested Terran look really cool, especially the infestation of the Barracks.

The other new units look very awesome, especially the one that acts like a Mobile Sunken Defense. Turns out, its the new Queen's abilities.

The queen is a vastly different unit. She has the powerful ability to control Zerg base defence. The queen can create special structures and extend creep. It has the ability to create toxic creep. And it can make buildings regen faster. She has a nomad-esque ability drop temporary buildings that can attack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WvGzpj5pbA&NR=1

So thats why the Ultralisk has 2 extra blades, it can attack multiple units!

It is odd the Queen's mutating upgrades make it as strong as the Ultralisk.

The "Hive Matriarch" seems strong enough to destroy the Protoss Mothership, assuming its damage is x2 its ground damage.

Last edited:
I still occasionally check these forums (like once every couple of months). I rarely play BW anymore because of school, although I try to watch some pro games whenever I can (i.e. I watch nearly everything when I'm on break, but very few when school is in session). It's hard for me to play on competitive servers/ladders anymore because I don't have the practice/speed to keep up with a lot of players, and the game has evolved a lot since I was able to hold my own against the lower end of the competitive spectrum.

I'm cautiously optimistic about SC2: they're changing a lot of it, and there's a ton of potential for it to crash and burn and not turn out to be a good competitive game like SC and BW were (get rid of the mothership and thor, please). I'm going on to a Ph.D. program next year, so I'm not sure I'll have time to play whenever Blizzard finally decides to release this thing either. I certainly would like to get back into the mix of things, but life takes priority.

Kralgon! Glad to see you still check the forums now and then. :)

I cringed when I saw the Protoss mothership super-unit, for fear that the development team would borrow too heavily from Warcraft III (which is a terrific single-player game, but a weak multiplayer game, IMHO).

On the bright side, SC2 will likely (logically) offer a "Ladder" game type like Starcraft 1. Perhaps "Ladder" games could disable the "hero" (even if they're not calling them as such) units.

The issue isn't really Warcraft III (which is a fine game in its own right, but doesn't have the same frantic pace as Starcraft) - the dev team knows that they're making a SC sequel and not a space adaptation of Warcraft III. The issue is that the lead designer was the lead designer from C&C: Generals, and he's in love with C&C-like super units with lots of annoying lasers that cover up the screen. The big super-units are more carryovers from C&C than anything from WC3.

The issue isn't really Warcraft III (which is a fine game in its own right, but doesn't have the same frantic pace as Starcraft) - the dev team knows that they're making a SC sequel and not a space adaptation of Warcraft III.
"THIS IS NOT WARCRAFT IN SPACE!"

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

The issue is that the lead designer was the lead designer from C&C: Generals, and he's in love with C&C-like super units with lots of annoying lasers that cover up the screen. The big super-units are more carryovers from C&C than anything from WC3.
That explains why the design looks so different from the original StarCraft.

On a related note, what happened to the members of the original StarCraft development team?

Back