Stardate 5.2.2005

Bowser

Tribe of Judah StarCraft Series Chapter Leader
Flip On the Switch

Jesus said, "You are the light of the world."

-Matthew 5:14 (NRSV)

IT was a terrible week at my office. Papers piled up on my desk. I struggled to meet deadlines, but the quality of my effort was barely adequate. I went into meetings unprepared. My interactions with coworkers were short and trivial as I rushed past them in my frantic busyness. Friday night came and I sat exhausted and defeated.

On Saturday morning, I sought refreshment in Jesus' Sermon on the Mount. The words "You are the light of the world" leaped out at me; I surely didn't feel like a light in my workplace. But then I recognized a fact I had been missing: a light does not turn itself on. It needs someone to flip a switch or strike a match. To be a light, I needed God's touch.

I pulled out my calendar for the coming week and asked God to help me shine as a light on each person, each task, each meeting. The office demands were the same that week, but with God's touch I was able to meet them. That week became notably fruitful and joyful for me and for those around me. I have started every week since then in exactly the same way.

Timothy Fountain (California, U.S.A.)

O God, remind us to seek your touch, so we can shine with your presence for each person and in each task before us. Amen.

Back