Sunday, February 9, 2014 - Proverbs 3:11-12, Psalm 31:15

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
Do not despise the Lord’s instruction, my son,
and do not loathe His discipline;
for the Lord disciplines the one He loves,
just as a father, the son he delights in.
Proverbs 3:11-12, HCSB

The course of my life is in Your power;
deliver me from the power of my enemies
and from my persecutors.
Psalm 31:15, HCSB

There's a popular form of Christianity in America today that teaches that God is predominantly concerned with your happiness and, if you do the right thing, you'll live in comfort. Even a cursory examination of the lives of the heroes of faith will, of course, immediately debunk such an absurd notion, but the prosperity which our nation currently enjoys helps create a culture detached from a Christian history that is filled with the suffering of its adherents as well as disconnected from the global body of believers, including those who live under the constant threat of murder and torture because of their faith.

Such a view of Christianity portrays God as a Santa Claus figure, dispensing promises and gifts as is His pleasure. And while it's true that God gives us many blessings, both spiritual and physical, and while He may, in his sovereignty, choose to make us fabulously wealthy (though, again, He may not), Scripture teaches that suffering for the true disciple is not only unavoidable, but proof of the legitimacy of our right standing with God. Common sense teaches us the same, which is why it sometimes baffles me that "Prosperity Gospel" teachers continue to attract new audiences. I understand the message certainly sounds appeal, but the "numbers," as it were, simply don't add up.

Misunderstanding God as a cosmic doting grandfather not only leads to untenable expectations, it also paves the way for despair when suffering enters our lives, as it most assuredly will. As a Christian who came out of the church culture of Oklahoma and later suffered great loss, I'm speaking from experience--which is ongoing, not complete--rather than theory.

But when we understand God as sovereign and holy, we begin to move toward a place where we can surrender our lives to Him instead of berating him with "What have you done for me lately?" prayers. Such a journey is painful. It's awkward. It's a lot like being the child of a father who really loves you and is ready to punish you when you do something stupid to help shape you into what he knows you can be.

Working through loss is, I'm discovering, a lifelong process. The pain may fade for a time, only to suddenly kick you in the ribs at a moment's notice. But I can rest knowing that my times are in God's hands. I take solace knowing that God is not sitting in the stands, alternately cheering from a distance and dozing off, while I'm on the field. No, He is near in the triumphs and the tribulations of life, regardless whether I "feel" Him or not. The God that created the universe is actively and passionately involved in my life, even if that activity and passion doesn't manifest itself in the wonderfully warm and fuzzy way that I, in my selfish nature, would very much like (as many ill-informed Christians seem to expect).

At times, I press forward. Sometimes, I fall back. And, more often than I care to consider, I'm brought to my knees, for good or ill. But I am God's child, whom He loves enough to discipline. And my times are in His hands.

Great post Tek!

I believe prosperity gospel can create a shallow and backwards faith ill prepared to do the job we are here for. Shallow because we are called to follow in Christ's footsteps and he did not have it easy. How could we show hope to others while none of us have gone through pain? It would ring hollow for they would say it's easy to be hopeful when you have everything. Prosperity gospel is backwards because love asks what we can do for God not what God can do for us. It is for us to align with God's ever righteous will not God to align with our flawed one.

From the bitterness some atheists project I get the feeling they turned to it because the genie did not grant their wish.

Still God does not burden us beyond our ability (1 Corinthians 10:13). God does have plans for us to ultimately prosper but that does not mean it will happen on Earth. Everyone we love will die and from that separation we will have pain. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive (1 Corinthians 15:22). There can be no possible hope, reason or way to go on without God's love who is Christ.

Last edited:
Wonderful post Tek. I would like to add a personal experience truth that you cannot minister effectively unless you have been there, done that. My wife and I are highly educated, but due to financial hardships have had personal relationships, and been able to help those who are less educated and have financial problems also. Which brings me to the second part of my thought. Just recently God has brought us up from one step above poverty level to actually being able to pay bills without worry. Now it is up to us to dedicate that to God, and use it as wise stewards. No not rich, but able to pay what is owed on time. And what is owed first is our tithes, gifts, and offerings, as it always has been. What a loss it is with prosperity theology when giving is indicated to be pain free and without total faith of dependence on God.

Thank you both for your replies. I'm currently listening to a series by Alistair Begg titled My Times Are In Your Hands, which prompted me to choose these verses.

I'm also passionate about countering false doctrine because I attended a church during my teenage years that leaned toward triumphalism and Prosperity Gospel, which didn't jive with what I was reading in Scripture (especially in the Old Testament).

It frustrates me to no end that well-meaning people are deceived by a presentation of Christianity that is, in short, "false advertising." Our faith is so much bigger, so much better, and so much more alive than pandering to a cosmic Santa Claus in hopes of getting more goodies. The Christian narrative is one of blood, sweat, tears, and fullness of joy. To present it as an infomercial disrespects the listener by insulting his or her intelligence, sets up those who "buy in" for massive disappointment (which, in another thread, might be a good segue for a discussion on why younger people are leaving the church), and diminishes an amazing faith with a rich history.

Back