Tek daydreams about building a new PC (again)

I also have virtual machines (one for XP, one for Ubuntu), but neither would require enough to justify the added expense of a 16GB RAM kit.

I just want the computer to be as "future-resistant" as possible. :)

EDIT: Then again, if the RAM is only $33, I won't be as hesitant to upgrade in the future. Probably best to get inexpensive (but still high-quality and fast) RAM and less of it and put that money toward an nVIDIA card or a better monitor.
The ati equals the nvidia so save the 40 bucks. You'll be CPU bound before your card is the choke point in your current build

Just discovered there are 7 (yes, SEVEN) different EVGA 660 Ti cards.

/smh

Time for a little more research, then I may be wrapping this up.

Uh oh. I also discovered that EVGA doesn't offer a lifetime warranty on GeForce 600 series cards. :(

I may be getting a Radeon 7870 after all.

Last edited:
I JUST PLACED THE ORDER!

/me cheers wildly

And to recap, this is what I bought:

Total: $882.95, with $40 in rebates and $17.86 in FatWallet credit IF it actually worked, bringing the total down to $825.09.

And yes, I knew about the SuperClocked EVGA 660 Ti and decided for the stock clocked card for the purposes of longevity. I didn't feel that 6% (maximum) performance boost was worth the risks inherent in overclocking. I want this hardware to last forever.

EDIT: And I was initially concerned about the lack of lifetime warranty on the EVGA card, but decided to opt for an nVIDIA card due to problems with ATI/AMD drivers and some concerns regarding the XFX Radeon 7870 I'd previously picked out.

Last edited:
seems to be psu related. exactly which psu do you have going for the 660 as it requires a very high amperage from your 12v rail and just because it says 600 watts doesn't mean it can hold that load..that'll cause issue for both ati and nvidia..:)

can't go wrong with the nvidia either..i'll evaluate both manufacturers once it's time for me to build again..:)

I have an OCZ 600 watt power supply. I believe it's 80 Bronze certified. Good stuff. :)

what you need to do is look at the label and see what the amperage rating is on the 12v rail..the efficiency rating doesn't cover that..:) yes you should be good to go but i would see how much amperage the vid requires on the 12v rail and make sure the psu can do it..keep in mind you need about 15% reserve on 12v in order to power not only the card but everything else.

it seems the evga requires about 24 amsp from the 12v rail..make sure the rail(s) on your ocz can sustain that plus have the required reserve or you'll have problems.

Yay, what a New Years present Ember gave you. Letting you indulge a little. You I think have made a wise choice. Not in computer hardware only, but accepting God's gift in a perfect mate for you. May both of you, and your rug rat, have a blessed year.

make sure the vid card is on one of the 12v rails and everything else is on the other one..you'll be fine if you do that..:)

Was getting ready to call Newegg to ask why I hadn't received notice that my order shipped today when I looked on their site (to find the support number) and saw this:
*Attention: Orders placed between 12/28/2012 through 1/1/2013 may experience delays due to the New Year holiday. We are working diligently on processing all the orders as fast as possible and all orders should be ship out within the next 24-48 hours. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Going to be a very sad panda if the order doesn't arrive until next Monday. :(

I ordered my new mobo the Sunday before Thanksgiving. Had to wait till the next Tuesday for it to arrive. NewEgg don't do holidays very well.

I suggest John Wahler :D

We expect specs once this rig is built, its been a long time coming.

It's now Thursday afternoon and still no tracking information for my order (except for the monitor, which will apparently ship separately). :( At this point, it may be Tuesday before I get the parts in.

Two of the 3 rebates I qualified for previously were renewed, there's now a $15 promotional credit on the i5-3570K, and there's now a $10 rebate on the monitor (meaning I could have saved $15 and possibly more if there are fresh deals on 8GB RAM kits now).

/complain

I called Newegg again and they agreed to give me the $15 promotional gift card for the i5-3570K. :D

The rep said I should also qualify for the new rebates because invoices aren't generated until the item ships.

It looks like I'll still be waiting until Monday :)(), but at least I save a few bucks :)))!

Tom Petty says: The waiting is the hardest part.

Delays are no fun, but I'm a fan of saving money, and I'm stoked you've got new hardware coming. Enjoy! :D

Back