Temporary Source Mod Plugins Disable

The Mighty Gerbil

Tribe of Judah TF 2 Chapter Leader & CGA Admin
Staff member
The recent Hatless update has left several of our server's source mod plugin's broken or unstable. Source mod has been updated and it's ban griever/change map goodness appears to be working however some of the custom pluggins are not. Some of the following features may be disabled for a little bit while I test them and wait/search for updates/alternatives (if their creators update them at all that is).

Just for your information the custom plugins our server has been running are...
Class Limits
Trade Chat
!rocketme (which actually crashed the server when I tested it)
Advertisements (the green text in chat which informs you of the nextmap, rules etc.) Appeared unstable displaying double text sometimes.
The Chatfilter

On the plus side there are new official voting options the Hattless update added on the main screen. That is all.

Last edited:
It seems like every major update breaks Sourcemod. Valve gives no prior notice to major mod developers when a new release is forthcoming, so they're forced to scramble to adapt their code and release a new version.

What's even more annoying is that servers running what I consider essential mods (Metamod: Source and Sourcemod) will go into a crashing loop until those mods are disabled when Valve releases the update.

This is not even close to the first time this has happened and I'm sure it won't be the list.

/smh at Valve

The good news is that the MM:S and SM developers do a great job of reacting quickly. I don't care to imagine moderating a server with only the cumbersome built-in server administration tools.

What's even more annoying is that servers running what I consider essential mods (Metamod: Source and Sourcemod) will go into a crashing loop until those mods are disabled when Valve releases the update.

Arg I should have not waited as long as I did for the server to come back up from updating. I just knew it was doing that but I just had to be certain before bugging gameservers. Gerbil = bundle of insecurities and fail XD.

It seems like every major update breaks Sourcemod. Valve gives no prior notice to major mod developers when a new release is forthcoming, so they're forced to scramble to adapt their code and release a new version.

This is not even close to the first time this has happened and I'm sure it won't be the last.

/smh at Valve

The good news is that the MM:S and SM developers do a great job of reacting quickly.

Me wonders, Valve has an open TF2 beta now so why can't these problems be caught before they go official? Is there something preventing testing source mod on the beta first? I thought that was what beta's were for? Also Valve apparently has some kind of correspondence with mappers so why can't they work with the source mod people? With one hat/item pluggin I've even seen some direct communication between the modder and Valve.

I don't care to imagine moderating a server with only the cumbersome built-in server administration tools.

What I don't understand is why Valve is just now adding implementations of things source mod plugins do better already. I mean they have to have looked over the fence at source mod plugins, seen what features they have and yet their additions (map voting, kick etc.) seem to lack features of source's counterparts (still need to test to verify). If you are going to add a feature at least make it competitive.

While I am near the subject what is with the emphasis on training and coaching? They are useful features but 3 plus years after TF2s release the majority of people should already know how to play TF2. All I can think of is either these were half completed features at launch and they are just finishing them and/or they are still using TF2 to "experiment" with. I do know they stated bots were something they had started on and abandoned in development. I guess they had bits of these systems laying around so they were easy to finish?

Last edited:
Arg I should have not waited as long as I did for the server to come back up from updating. I just knew it was doing that but I just had to be certain before bugging gameservers. Gerbil = bundle of insecurities and fail XD.
Not at all! I'm just less hesitant to be a nuisance to GameServers.com. :)

Me wonders, Valve has an open TF2 beta now so why can't these problems be caught before they go official? Is there something preventing testing source mod on the beta first? I thought that was what beta's were for?
I doubt the Sourcemod and Metamod: Source authors could write code based on the beta since it's in constant flux and often wildly different than (and often lagging behind instead of keeping a step ahead of) the production code.

Also Valve apparently has some kind of correspondence with mappers so why can't they work with the source mod people? With one hat/item pluggin I've even seen some direct communication between the modder and Valve.
I imagine maps and hats are less involved than a complex add-on like Sourcemod and Metamod: Source. But still, it would be nice to see Valve working with the SM and MM:S developers.

What I don't understand is why Valve is just now adding implementations of things source mod plugins do better already. I mean they have to have looked over the fence at source mod plugins, seen what features they have and yet their additions (map voting, kick etc.) seem to lack features of source's counterparts (still need to test to verify). If you are going to add a feature at least make it competitive.
I thought that was rather odd, too.

Well, at least they used the F-keys rather than the number keys for voting. I keep wishing Sourcemod would do something similar. There've been so many times I was trying to switch weapons and I accidentally voted for the next map instead. -_-

While I am near the subject what is with the emphasis on training and coaching? They are useful features but 3 plus years after TF2s release the majority of people should already know how to play TF2. All I can think of is either these were half completed features at launch and they are just finishing them and/or they are still using TF2 to "experiment" with. I do know they stated bots were something they had started on and abandoned in development. I guess they had bits of these systems laying around so they were easy to finish?
I think it's more of a "focus group" idea for bringing in new players. And it may work. I dunno.

But I think Valve has realized that they've sold the game to as many people as are likely interested in playing it. My guess is that they're now trying to make it easier for new players to learn the game so experienced players will teach them. I can imagine telling my wife, "Oh, hey, there's a Pyro training level now. Want to give it a try?"

rcon kick Insecure Gerbil

rcon ban ExpletiveExpletive

Psh... who needs SM.... Rcon is where the power is at...

Well, at least they used the F-keys rather than the number keys for voting. I keep wishing Sourcemod would do something similar. There've been so many times I was trying to switch weapons and I accidentally voted for the next map instead. -_-

There is a way to set the voting keys up so it's on different numbers (which I haven't found yet) but right now I am more concerned with getting the basics of source mod working. Having tested several of our pluggins they unequivocally crash our server. Last Tuesday Bassman even slapped someone which is a base sm command and it crashed our server XD. I'll be checking the sm updates every Monday for newer versions.

Back