The book of Romans

Malohaut

I'm not yet going to start with scriptures, but with a little about the book of Romans itself. I have a "McArthur Study Bible", and each book of the bible is precluded by a description and history of that book. So I'm going to go ahead and give you a brief outline of what it says.

Here's a great place to explore Rome:
http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~fjust/Rome.htm
And here's some nice maps:
http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~fjust/Rome-Platner.htm

Rome at the time had magnificent buildings like the Emperor's palace, the Circus Maximus, and the Forum, but its beauty was marred by the slums in which so many lived. The city had a population of over one million people, many of whom were slaves. Some of those people who were converted on the day of Pentecost probably founded the church at Rome. (Acts 2:10)

Saul (his Hebrew name), descendant of the tribe of Benjamin, was a roman citizen of those times as well as a Jewish Pharisee. Of course, even as a roman citizen, he had never been to the city of Rome until near the end of his life. He was born in Tarsus and spent much of his youth in Jerusalem. It wasn't until a journey to Damascus to arrest Christians there that he was converted to Christianity ca. A.D. 33-34. Paul (his Greek name) immediatly began to spread the good news of Christ and had gone on 3 missionary journeys through much of the Mediterranean world. He had long sought to visit the Roman church, but had been prevented from doing so. So he wrote them a letter from Corinth close to the end of his third missionary journey (probably in A.D. 56).

Paul's primary purpose in writing Romans was to teach the great truths of the gospel of grace to believers who had never received apostolic instruction. The letter also introduced him to a church where he was personally unknown. But he had wanted to edify the believers, to preach the gospel, and to get to know the Roman Christians so they could encourage him, better pray for him, and help him with his planned ministry in Spain. The Roman church was doctrinaly sound, but, like all churches, it was in need of the rich doctrinal and practical instruction that this letter provides.

Its outlined as follows:

I. Greetings and Introduction (1:1-15)
II. Theme (1:16, 17)
III. Condemnation:The Need of God's Righteousness (1:18-3:20)
A. Unrighteous Gentiles (1:18-32)
B. Unrighteous Jews (2:1-3:8)
C. Unrighteous Mankind (3:9-20)
IV. Justification:The Provision of God's Righteousness (3:21-5:21)
A. The Source of Righteousness (3:21-31)
B. The Example of Righteousness (4:1-25)
C. The Blessings of Righteousness (5:1-11)
D. The Imputation of Righteousness (5:12-21)
V. Sanctification: The Demonstration of God's Righteousness (6:1-8:39)
VI. Restoration: Israel's Reception of God's Righteousness (9:1-11:36)
VII. Application: The Behavior of God's Righteousness (12:1-15:13)
VIII. Conclusion, Greetings, and Benediction (15:14-16:27)

I think that's a good start. Its sometimes important to understand the person as well as the times that person is living in so that it is easier to understand the context of what a scripture is trying to say.

Thanks for the beginning, excited to see the study move forward.

smile.gif

Well, my hope for this bible study is that anybody who is interested can get involved.

As such, before we begin in Chapter 1, does anybody have a favorite scripture from Romans? Have you ever used Romans to witness to someone? Ever had to go to it to find strength, comfort, or conviction? What are your thoughts?

i must say.. romans 6.. really changed my life.. its about sin and stuff romans 6:13 is awesome...

" do not offer the parts of your body to sin, as instruments of wickedness, but rather offer yoursevles to God, as thoes who have been brought from life to death; and offer the parts of your body to him as instrumnts of righteousness."

That is very good and very powerful Take. To be honest, I've been looking for a verse like that for a while now and I am grateful that you have brought it here. It is indeed very truthful and a good reminder to us all that sin can very easily creep up in our hearts and increase the desires of the flesh.

Chapter 1 is also very interesting and very powerful. The first thing that struck me was verse 14, and here's how its translated in the different biblical versions:
YLT "Greeks and to foreigners, both to wise and to thoughtless"
NKJV "I am a debtor both to Greeks and to barbarians, both to wise and to unwise."
Amp "Greeks and to barbarians (to the cultured and to the uncultured), both to the wise and the foolish"
NIV "Greeks and non-Greeks, both to the wise and the foolish."
MSG "mannered or rude, smart or simple"

Although the literal translation is 'foreigners', it has been translated as meaning 'barbarians' or 'uncultured'. And that struck a chord with me. It reminded me that the Gospel is not just for the city people or to the scholared. And that was one of my flaws. I kept trying to practice how to witness to the intelligent. I was hoping to reason with people that the truth of Christ is a solid foundation while any other religious belief is riddled with flaws and holes. But the power of the gospel cannot be in reason if it is for the uncultured as well as those who aren't into logical reasoning. And it is a good reminder that, although knowledge of historical and archeoligical evidence can be helpful and useful in some cases, the true power of the gospel lies in Christ and the Word, not in man and his word.

The next thing that really hit me was the description of our corrupted world. I've never really seen it described so powerfully accurate! Some of the titles of the different translations were very accurate as well:
"Everyone is guilty"
"Ignoring God Leads to a Downward Spiral"
"God's Wrath against mankind"
And what's also interesting is that this passage applies to two time periods. It describes what the Israelites of the old testament constantly did. How they kept turning from God to follow their own devices. But its also accuratly describing today's society to a T! Did you know that our American government is trying to pass around a possible law of allowing same sex marriages? And most of our television shows have some sort of gay representative in it. Its very sad. But what's interesting about Roman's 1 is that it explains why we haven't seen a lot of major Godly movement in our lands. I've sometimes wondered why it was that God didn't send some prophets out today like he did in the old Testament to perform miracles and convert countries, or why it was that he hasn't called a nation to his own like he did Israel. And I think verse 28 says a lot. The amplified version says it best saying, "Since they didn't bother to acknowledge God, God quit bothering them and let them run loose." And run loose they did!

So Paul identifies the rampant sin that has invaded the world and he explains that we have lost our way in our own sacriligous desires. Its really sad, but very truthful.

Any thoughts on this? Anybody have anything else to say or share about their insight into chapter 1 of Romans?

Rom. 2 : 1-16

Chapter 1 deals with the sin of the world, how mankind has turned from God to do evil, and how God has let them to their own devices. Chapter 2 turns to the people and explains to them that they are no different. You can look at the past and say, "How wicked!" yet you yourself are wicked as well. And it condemns us as well, putting us under the same condemnation as everyone else.

But chapter 2 also seems to say that eternal life is given to those who do good, whether they are under the law or apart from the law. For righteousness does not come from being a part of the law, but by obeying the law, which is in each one of our hearts. These passages seem to imply that the unbelievers can also obtain eternal life by being good. And this will definatly be used as an argument for those who follow in that path, good people, but unbelievers. But in response to this, the footnotes in my bible says, "Although scripture everywhere teaches that salvation is not on the basis of works, it consistently teaches that God's judgment is always on the basis of a man's deeds. Paul describes the deeds of two distinct groups: the redeemed and the unredeemed. The deeds of the redeemed are not the basis of their salvation, but the evidence of it. They are not perfect and are prone to sin, but there is undeniable evidence of righteousness in their lives." So there is a clear difference between righteousness and salvation. You can walk in righteousness, yet still be a sinner and be condemned to death. And although this is getting ahead, Romans 3:23 says that all have sinned, and fall short of the glory of God. So nobody can be righteous enough to earn salvation. And that's where the need for Jesus comes.

Rom. 2 : 17-24

Jesus once said, "How can you accuse your neighbor for the speck in his eye when you have a plank in your own. Remove the plank from your eye first before you try to help your brother." 17-24 says the same thing. The Jews of the day were seeking to teach righteousness and the law, yet they were so busy helping everyone else, that they did not help themselves. They were busy teaching and correcting others, but not always correcting ourselves. When I was young, I was taught "put yourself in that person's shoes and see how they feel." Which was a very powerful truth for me and it goes perfectly here. Because before I seek to correct someone, I must first look inside myself and correct myself. Then will I better be able to correct someone else, or at least not judge someone harshly seeing that I understand the sin that is common in both them and me.

Rom. 2 : 25-29

In the same way, Jews, and many modern day Christians, believe that if you follow rituals of faith and traditions of the past, that you are righteous. Yet what is most important is that it is followed by the heart. For a man who does not partake in rituals yet live them in his heart, is righteous whereas the man who does just the act but not with his heart, it is meaningless to him.

Rom. 3 : 1 - 8

These first scriptures are difficult to understand at first. But one thing it says is that even though we are all in Christ, there is a greater value to those who follow the law like the Jews or the circumcised because they have taken charge of keeping the scriptures and the law. Now yes, you can consider the Jews as being the descendants of Israel and the Gentiles as the rest of the world. But now, we are under the new law of Christ, and as such, all Christians who take up service in the Lord have taken over the job of the Jews. It is now our task to keep the scriptures and share the law of Christ. And as such, the greater value is in us because of our devotion and dedication to Christ. And now, we are like the Jews, and the Gentiles to us are now all those who do not know of Christ. I feel blessed to be in such a place of honor, and I pray that God watches over our footsteps, so that we do not corrupt the steps of Christ like the Jews corrupted the steps of God's law of love.

But 1-8 also continues saying that even in such a high place of honor, we are still humans, and we will still fall and fail. But there is nothing in our flawed words or failing walk that can negate or undo the truth and power of God and His word. And God even uses our flaws to bring out His greater glory. Of course Paul reminds us that even though this is true, still strive to walk a righteous walk, so that God can be glorified in that as well. Isn't it comforting to know that whether we walk in righteousness, or fail in our flaws, God's light will still shine through us?

I love the word of God because its so comforting, strengthening, and healing. Too many people read a scripture, enjoy it, and then forget about it. Or they memorize the words and recite it like a poem, but the meaning no longer enters their heart. And that's really sad. But what I try to do and what I try to encourage others to do is to read a scripture into your heart and keep its truth there. For it is in your heart when the Word of God really becomes powerful, not in your mind. So there will be some times in our bible study, where I may slow us down just a bit so that we can dwell a little on God's awesome truths. But if I slow down too much, let me know and we'll keep on going. For although I may have good intention intension intencion. Um. Oh that's it. Although I have good intentions, I am still flawed and will sometimes need someone to get me back on track.

Of course that's the perfect description of the family of God isn't it? We're all here to help each other stay on track for the Lord so that we can walk stronger as a united family.

Rom. 3 : 9 - 31 (THE HEART OF THE BIBLE)

To me, Romans 3 : 9 - 31, is the very heart and soul of the entire bible! You know how books tend to have a summary of the story or teachings on the back cover? Well, if anyone was to do that for the bible, they should do it with these very scriptures. It starts out with condemnation of the world. It tells us that the law of God and the law of Moses is a condemning law, and that if we compare our lives to it, we will find ourselves riddled with sin. Now it says things like 'none is righteous, nobody seeks God, nobody fears God.' I don't think its saying that in a literal sense because there are plenty Christians who seek and fear God, and who walk righteously as best as they can. (Its been established earlier that we can walk righteously, even without salvation.) He is not talking about the individual person, but speaks of the universality of human sin and rebellion. So in an inherited sin of the entire human race, we are convicted and condemned because we cannot measure up to the law of God in its entirety.

The second part of this three part theme is the answer to this solution. This is where Paul turns the tide from condemnation to grace. He tells us that even though there can be no righteousness under the law, there can be salvation. For a new way has been made through Christ Jesus. We could not be made acceptable through the law of Moses, so God has made a way for us to become acceptable by allowing His Son to free us from death. It is why I love the movie, "A Knight's Tale." (Warning! Spoiler! If you are going to see the movie, skip this paragraph and move on to the next.) It is about a young man who was born as a peasant, but who wanted to be counted as a royal knight. But of course, that was impossible since he was not born under a royal lineage. And as hard as he tried and acted like royalty, (and by his actions, he was more royal than most of the knights he encountered), he was still only a peasant, was discovered to be one, and treated like one. But the future king of England saw this, and he remembered a kindness this peasant once showed him. So the prince approached the crowd, and by his word, declared this wanna-be a man of royalty. And because he himself was son to the king, his word had to be accepted by everybody. I like how he said it, "This is my word, and as such, is beyond contestation!"

And its very cool because its just like us. Our salvation is not through our own actions, because we are still but lowly pig peasants. Our salvation and royalty is ours because God declared it to be so through His Son. For this is God's word, and as such, is beyond contestation! That is way too awesome!

When most people share the gospel, they stop there. They delare our sinfulness and declare us not righteous enough, and then they share salvation through Christ. But Paul doesn't stop there. He finished up Chapter 3 by saying that even though we are now saved through faith and not works, does this mean we can stop obeying the law of God? By all means no! Yes, we live by faith, for that is important and that is what justifies us. But by living through faith, we also observe the law. I think that is what is meant by, "faith without works is dead." If one claims to have faith, but does not strive to live righteously, then chances are, they do not really have faith, or even care. But for those who have faith and have turned their heart to the covenent of Christ, they live the law as a result. For their heart compels them to live righteously, knowing that they will always fail, but never stop trying. And that's very important to remember.

Rom. 4 : 1 - 4

A little hard to read it seems, especially verse 4, but I'm sure it will become clear as I continue. These first four verses speak of Abraham. He was regarded as righteous by works. And it seems to say that our reward is based on works, not on grace. So salvation is given through grace, but reward is given through works. Is that what its saying here? Abraham believed, and his belief was creditied to him as righteousness. But his rewards were given to him through his works. So you can be saved by faith, but faith can produce no fruits if not harvested in works.

Rom. 4 : 5 - 12

Abraham is our role model for the Christian walk, even before the coming of Christ. For Abraham believed before he became circumcised, and it was credited to him as righteousness. Yet he also became circumcised as a 'seal' or 'badge of honor' of his righteousness. This is not a new concept. Many people will think that the old testament is themed by a God of jealousy and a God of wrath, while the new testament is themed with a very different God, a God of love and forgiveness. Thus, two testaments, two different Gods, a falsehood is created. Yet Paul establishes here that righteousness by faith is not new. Abraham was declared righteous by his faith before he entered into his works. And David paid honor to those whose sins were forgiven and not held against them by God. So faith is and always will be a powerful tool of forgiveness and a proclamation of righteousness.

I like how Paul preaches. And he sets the standard for all preachers who seek to follow righteously in his footsteps. Paul presents a concept: a very important and truthful concept. But he doesn't just say it, he proves it scripturally, by the word of God. He uses well known examples as proof that what he is saying is not falsehood. And because the writings of Paul and of the new testament are built upon the foundation of the old testament, then we can build upon that. And by Paul's examples, we do not just present an idea of Christ, but we show its source to be from the bible, scriptures of love based on the new testament, which was built upon the promises and truths of the old testament while strengthened by the act and love of Christ. Powerful stuff!

Rom. 4 : 13 - 25

Why is it that I do not trust in the praying to the saints? Why is it I do not trust the idea of purgatory? Why is it I do not trust in the power of Jesus' mother? Because it is not scripturally found. It is not something that anybody in the new or old testament ever performed or worried about, so it must be something added on by man. This is how we learn what is righteous and what is not. If a man of God, in the bible, fasted because he wanted to petition to God, then that is probably a righteous thing to do. And when God speaks words of comfort and wisdom to certain people of the bible, then those words must be for the entire Christian body. For that is where we get our faith and our denominations from, not from man's interpretation, but from the acts and experiences of the Godly men and women of the bible. When Paul makes a point, he does not do as the Romans or as the Catholics as just give an opinion from a man, but he gives a definate example for a very similar occurance from the bible. Paul ends chapter 4 on this very reasoning saying that Abraham's righteousness was credited to him by his faith, but this credit is not just for abraham alone, but for all believers. Because this is how the love of God works, and if a grace of God is in the old testament, repeated in the new testament, and relived in our very own lives, then it can be relied on as truth. That is how we test the scriptures and determine what teaching is false or true, by looking at the Godly men and women of the bible as examples, and seeing how their relationship in God progressed.

Who better for Paul to use as an example of God's grace in line with the law than Abraham? He is the father of the laws so this would inevitably include the Jews and yet he was also made righteous by God, through his faith, before he was circumcised. This would cover those who don't live according to the laws. Paul states that Abraham is the forefather of every nation.

In the beginning of the chapter I think Paul is making a correlation between Abraham's works and our works not justifying him and us before God. The only possible 'reward' he could get through his works was in boasting and every man who works his wages. But the Greatest gift lies with walking righteously, by faith in God. In light of this, our works are nothing. I'm sure Paul wasn't saying here, don't do your good deeds or don't earn a living, he was giving a very good example of how meaningless works are in light of God's gift to all of us, whatever creed or nation.

I like the way Paul points out, later in the chapter, that Abraham was in fact made righteous before God before his circumcision. The very act of circumcision was a seal of his righteousness before God. He goes on to say that the purpose of doing it this way was to make him the father of all nations.

I find it quite extraordinary that the faith and belief from Abraham came first. What then followed was a seal, a signing between him and God. I'm thinking in line with our Christian walk. Firstly, we recieve God's gracious gift of salvation and forgiveness. Then secondly, we are able to keep the laws of God through our faith, trust and love for Him. We are made righteous in His sight through God's gift of grace, our faith in Him and our desire to live out the calling of God as we devote our lives to Him.

Quite something, isn't it! What's more, is that we have the grace to live out the calling of God. It is not totally down to us. 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' (2 Cor 12

Rom. 5 : 1 - 11

This week has been tremendously stressful for me as I've probably put in 52 hours at work. Plus, wondering about the future, caring for my friends, trying to fight a stubborn car in the cold weather, etc. Its interesting how the stresses of the day can pile on each other to bring you such tremendous pressure, and I've felt that during the week. But its interesting because Romans 5 addresses some of that. Romans 5 : 3 - 5 speaks of rejoicing even in suffering, because suffering leads to perseverance, which leads to character, and then to hope; hope that is never disappointed nor forsaken because of God's endless love.

But Paul doesn't just tell us to hold fast in suffering, he gives us the reason why! I love how he gives the analogy that few people offer themselves up for a good person, a person who is righteous and worthy of such a sacrifice. Yet God, offered himself up for the worthless, those who could not be righteous enough. For even as God's former enemies, we were forgiven and accepted into his heavenly fold, and that is cause for great rejoicing, even during trials!

Rom. 5 : 12 - 21

Ah. One of my favorite scriptures that I like to share with people. Through one man was sin brought into the world, and through one man, sin was cleaned. I've often heard the analogy S.O.S. in reference to the bible. S.O.S. is an international sign for a call for help. The old testament started out with Adam, and the old testament Shows Our Sins. Through Adam came sin, condemnation, and death. And the people of God called out an S.O.S. for help. So God sent help. The new testament starts out with Jesus, and the new testament Shows Our Savior. And grace took over where condemnation once reigned. So there was joy, and there was grace, and a new and wonderful age in Christ arose.

And what's cool to think is you notice how much condemnation came from the actions of one man, a limited being with limited thoughts and abilities. Yet grace came from the actions of one God, a powerful, almighty being with unlimited knowledge, strength, and love! As powerful as sin was, what happened was like if you used a nuclear bomb to kill a single ant, or if you used a boeing 747 to get to visit your next door neighbor. The same is the power of God against sin. Isn't that just too cool?

Back