The Elegant Universe

#1, this isn't the RD forum. Taking a blatant pot-shot is very out of character for you, DV.

#2, why would you expect something on string theory to include something on intelligent design? String theory attempts to explain the current state of the universe, intelligent design attempts to explain it's creation. The two aren't mutually exclusive, and have little bearing on each other if any.

Eh? I didn't mean it as a pot shot.

No reason to take it personally :p

There ARE theories that state exactly what I said. I don't have time to listen to every one of them.

Take a look at chapter 6, "Riddle of the Big Bang: The origin of the universe has always been a mysterious event in which the laws of physics appear to break down. Could it be that the big bang was caused by the collision of two parallel universes?"

That's why I was asking.

Something entirely secular just seemed out of place on a Christian board.

Capiche?

Well where did the parralel universes come from?

Oh and BTW I refer to the Big Bang as THSK (the horrendous space kablooie)

Dark Virtue said:
I must have the touch of death.

Sorry, wasn't my intention.
Not your fault-- should have been here from the beginning.

The opinion of one of the scientists was that for string theory to truly be a "theory of everything", as string theorists want it to be, that it must also explain the beginning. The best theory they've come up with is that the big bang was caused by two of the parallel universes (membranes) colliding. However, the physicists do admit that they have no idea what would happen if two membranes collided, and that their math breaks down at several points in the big bang process, whether dealing with Einsteinian physics or string theory.

And, in case anyone was wondering, if you're interested in physics at all, the majority of those videos are absolutely fascinating.

Back