The Great Commission

Dark Virtue

I understand that Jesus said, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation." in Mark 16:15....

But wasn't this directed specifically to the Apostles?

Why is it then, that Christians feel it is THEIR obligation/duty to spread the Word?

I believe the last 10 verses of Mark actually did not even exist in the earliest archaeological manuscripts found :p

But anyway, in Matthew 28:19-20 Jesus commands the disciples to "make disciples of all the nations...and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you."

So I would say that the job of the disciples is to be carried out by the later generations of disciples too. Jesus, in this verse, commanded his disciples to preach the gospel as well as make disciples that will continue preaching the gospels.
As testimonies and followers of the original disciples and Jesus, then, Christians are obligated to spread the word.

There's also more than just those passages ... you have the high priestly prayer where He says that He has sent them out (17:18), in John 20:21 He directly sends them, in Acts 1:8 He tells the disciples (this was a great number of them, not just the 12) that they WILL be His witnesses.

But Azzie despite that there are these mutliple 'sendings' we have, as Azzie showed, the command to make disciples, which means teaching them to do what we do (continuing to propogate the gospel). Then you have the history of Acts and the words of the epistles where this is just what they go on doing. Consider, for example, Paul's telling Timothy to entrust his teachings with good men who will like wise teach others.

Azzie said:
I believe the last 10 verses of Mark actually did not even exist in the earliest archaeological manuscripts found :p

Don't be picky :)

Biblegateway says, "((The most reliable early manuscripts and other ancient witnesses do not have Mark 16:9-20.))"

But anyway, in Matthew 28:19-20 Jesus commands the disciples to "make disciples of all the nations...and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you."

So I would say that the job of the disciples is to be carried out by the later generations of disciples too. Jesus, in this verse, commanded his disciples to preach the gospel as well as make disciples that will continue preaching the gospels.
As testimonies and followers of the original disciples and Jesus, then, Christians are obligated to spread the word.

Good point...but I have a few good points of my own :)

Matt 10
5These twelve Jesus sent out with the following instructions: "Do not go among the Gentiles or enter any town of the Samaritans. 6Go rather to the lost sheep of Israel.

Sounds pretty clear to me...followed by:

7As you go, preach this message: 'The kingdom of heaven is near.' 8Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy,drive out demons. Freely you have received, freely give. 9Do not take along any gold or silver or copper in your belts; 10take no bag for the journey, or extra tunic, or sandals or a staff; for the worker is worth his keep.

Where to start? The kingdom is NEAR? That was two THOUSAND years ago. I don't remember the Christian down the street casting out demons or healing people. I also don't see him selling everything he has to spread the message.

Therefore, I have to conclude that the Great Commission was meant for the original disciples ONLY. Either that, or modern day Christians (if they truly be disciples meant to spread the message) aren't following the message Christ gave.

Hm, by context I don't think the stuff in Matt 10 is part of the Great Commision but the disciples' "preliminary skirmish" for paving the way for Jesus' crucifixion rather than his second coming. The commandment given in Matt 10 is prior the crucifixion, but the command in Mark 16 is afterwards. I can further explain if you would like :)

As for the kingdom being "near", I'll admit I'm not sure what Jesus meant. 2000 years really isn't much time compared to infinity, but then you could argue that Jesus should have spoken in the disciples' context. So maybe someone else on the forum can tag this one :p

About Christians not healing or selling everything to spread the message, I'll have to give a very different story because in my experience, they still do; your situation may be only predominant in the United States or Europe.
The majority of friends I met in Taiwan were missionaries; mostly businessmen who sold their homes and left their jobs to preach the gospel in Asia. Many of them, my parents included, were either PhD's in specific fields or millionaires. They could have lived in the United States and enjoyed their lives, but they decided to invest their time into preaching the gospel in a foreign land an culture. Sure, they're not like in poverty now, but they are nowhere near the upper-class living they had in the United States.
Their children (myself included) go to college only because other Christian communities and relatives support us (meaning that in a way, simply earning cash for God's work is an indirect way of preaching the gospel.)

Why did they not sell EVERYTHING? Well, some did. They did not manage to preach to very many people and instead became a burden to the rest of the Christian community.
The reason is quite simple; it would be less effective. I mean, the idea of selling everything would mean I would sell my computer and run to your house naked and preach the gospel to you instead of type it here...which probably would not be the best way to be a good testimony. :D

A number of the missionaries I knew did perform "miracles" (sure, you can call it hoax, but it would qualify as a "miracle" if true), some of which I witnessed. In a greater context the reason one may not see it very much is because of media; the same reason we seem to be seeing more earthquakes and disasters now is the same reason we don't see and hear about many miracles.
Displaying miracles on TV has been done before, and needless to say, it was shot down pretty quick. Miracles happen; but because people heed the media more, Christians have concluded that it's a baaaad testimony "showing off" miracles on TV or radio. If that doesn't work, of course it won't be anywhere near as known or seen as say, a movie.

As for the Kingdom being near, it was at the time it was preached early in the Gospels/ministry of Christ. During His lifetime He was making an offer of the promised Kingdom to the Jewish people, but they rejected it. What we are in now is the 'time of the gentiles'.

You made mention of the early command to not go to the gentiles (because the Kingdom offer was for the Jews), but you miss where God told Peter in Acts TO go to the Gentiles, and where He made Paul the apostle to the Gentiles.

Berean Todd said:
As for the Kingdom being near, it was at the time it was preached early in the Gospels/ministry of Christ. During His lifetime He was making an offer of the promised Kingdom to the Jewish people, but they rejected it. What we are in now is the 'time of the gentiles'.

I have to admit, I've never understood the "time of the gentiles" doctrine fully. I understand it has something to do with the lapse of time between the 69th and 70th week of years in Daniel, and that the seventieth week of years will actually be the seven year tribulation. What verses out there support this doctrine that time sort of stopped for the Jews and started for the gentiles?

Hax Hax Hax um sry a hairball hehehe...If you had something so wonderful that was life changing how can ya keep your mouth shut? Gosh a cripple was told by Jesus to say nothing of his healing and what did he do hahaha blah blah blah hahahaha yeh Jesus had to know what would happen.. My life has change in such a way my family noticed is that in itself a witness oh my how can a life change be hidden? If you need biblical support then read but upon acceptance its natural thing to spread Joy Love and PROMISE.Anyway when Jesus asked a couple of fisherman to follow me and lets go fishing for men why what purpose would that serve hmmm I guess in your eyes then only a few would hear or see the truth and those yrs later would have nothing but Yep it is written go and make disciples and well of course more then twelve was needed and over a span of time millions are needed.AND YOUR ONE NEEDED!!!! Be fruitful and share the JOY!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I done a little study and God asked well before Jesus to Spread his word and so far my fav is in Jeremiah plz let me quote kjv chapter 1 verses 6 to 9....
Then said I,ah,Lord God! behold, I cannot speak:for I am a child.But the Lord said unto me, Say not, I am a child; for thou shalt go to all that I shall send thee, and whatsoever I command thee thou shalt speak. Be not afraid of their faces:for I am with thee to deliver thee, saith the Lord.Then the Lord put forth his hand, and touched my mouth,and the Lord said unto me,Behold,I have put my words in thy mouth!!Wow just WoW A ol salty dog saying he is as a child but God knew differently! To lil ol slim mmm goood and with that plz remember tho God does not reach down and stuff our mouths with his words of wisdom he left us with plenty of food!!!!

Oh, I guess your right about that DV. It was just the disciples. But Here's an interesting one I found in the Matthew version:
Matthew 28:
...18. And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20. teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen.
please note that this entire statement is a command in itself, and is also stating for the "disciples of all nations" to be taught to do all things that Jesus has commanded us.

Back