This is just right.

I really don't want to start a debate here, but hating religion is not what Jesus did. Ever. He hated false religion, hypocrisy, sin. Never religion. Jesus is the epitome of religion done right. He did not come to abolish the law, but to fulfill it. The poem has great things to say, but is drowned out by the lack of study and preparation in the scriptures.

I really don't want to start a debate here, but hating religion is not what Jesus did. Ever. He hated false religion, hypocrisy, sin. Never religion. Jesus is the epitome of religion done right. He did not come to abolish the law, but to fulfill it. The poem has great things to say, but is drowned out by the lack of study and preparation in the scriptures.

Great quote from an article I read defending the video, that kinda speaks to your thoughts.

But the question that everyone should be asking is: was Jesus opposed to religion as defined by Jefferson Bethke? The answer to that question is a definite yes. Jesus was opposed to self-righteous, man-made religion. Jesus was opposed to those who exalt man-made rules over the true, life-giving religion of God. The entire piece must be interpreted through that lens. You can’t separate out pieces of the song and say that they are doctrinally incorrect unless you first view the song through the lens that Jefferson intended. Every use of the word “religion” in the piece must be connected back to the original definition of the word “religion”.

Okay, Epik, I agree with you there. He hated false religion. But right now religion is so screwed up it is not even funny. Christianity is not religion, it is a relationship. Religion is not defined down to just christianity. Religion can be any beliefs. Jesus said you can only get to God the Father through Him, the Son. Religion will NOT cut it.

Another point I agree with him about, why do churches build such amazing places, yet don't do much to help the poor, feed the hungry, and home the homeless? I would much rather have church in homes if that will help the needy.

One thing that will confuse people is that he said that Jesus hated religion. People think Christianity is religion. It isn't.

Something I posted onto a friend's wall..my sentiments. :

I can see why you love the Why I Hate Religion but Love Jesus video..man it is AMAZING! It had so many thought provoking moments. You know, I find it crazy that there are so many people hating on this. All it is is the truth. Religion is one thing. Christianity is a WHOLE OTHER THING. Religion is not completely Christianity, it can be ANY beliefs. Therefore, you can NOT get to God through religion. Religion is DO, Jesus says DONE. You can only get to God THROUGH Christ. And I don't know why I'm posting this on your page, but I've seen you say alot of stuff about it and I felt like this was the best place to do it.
I think that he hits everything on that video that is wrong with our view, and that's why people are so upset with it. If churches can afford to build spectacular buildings, why can they not keep the poor from starving? Why do they preach grace and not show it? They practice a whole different thing. And I'm repeating alot of it..but it is just so amazing not to.

James 1:27

27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

2 Tim 4:3-5
3 For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. 4 They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths. 5 But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry.

One thing that will confuse people is that he said that Jesus hated religion. People think Christianity is religion. It isn't.

Since when? You may want to brush up on your definition of that word. It should be said that Christianity is the only correct religion, and all others are thereby false, but Christianity is a religion. Just because what Bethke is not using the terms correctly does not mean "religion" is bad. What he's really describing is false religion.

And here's something to think about. If those that Bethke criticizes, the "religious" people, are like he says and believe in getting to God through works rather than grace, then they're not Christians. And if they're not Christians, and not part of the body of Christ, what is he doing about it?

First of all, it's bad that Bathke groups the entire church together with those that practice false religion. He draws no distinction between them in the video and criticizes them both equally. It doesn't matter if he knows the distinction in his mind, he's not articulating it in this video, which is what the non Christians see. Some one who doesn't have the Holy Spirit isn't going to know the difference between religion and false religion when they see the video, especially not if he never talks about the difference. Hence, this video is sending the message that it's acceptable to blatantly generalize about the church, and criticize because of those that claim to be part of it.

Second, and back to what I mentioned before, what is he going to do about those practitioners of false religion? Are we not commanded to treat them the same way we would treat other non Christians? I wonder how many often Bethke and those like him would share the truth of salvation through grace alone with some one who claimed to be an atheist, in a loving manner, but then go on to treat a false christian with hate.

2nd Timothy 2:24-26
The Lord’s bond-servant must not be quarrelsome, but be kind to all, able to teach, patient when wronged, 25 with gentleness correcting those who are in opposition, if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to the knowledge of the truth, 26 and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, having been held captive by him to do his will.

When we encounter falsely religious people, we shouldn't lambast them, and we certainly shouldn't group them together with the rest of the church. They should be told the truth, but treated with the same kind of love that would draw any other kind of sinner to repentance.

Last edited:
Right now, in my opinion, Christianity is on one side of the playing field. Religion is on the complete other side. There are so many people now that believe in religious stuff..Islam is a religion. Buddha is a religion. Judaism is a religion. All of those religions are false. I cannot stand having Christianity in the same boat with those.

Jesus created the church, yes. Back then that was the religion. Throughout history, time and time again religion has been changed. Christianity has been ridiculed, made fun of, and prodded at.

And with Bethke grouping the two together, false christians and the church, well, I mean, I see why he is. If Jesus was to come back right now would He be invited into the church, or shunned? We have such a closeminded view of Christianity. I see why there are atheists in the world. Because we criticize them.

Right now, the church is one of the most criticizing places there is. There are so many people who act all 'gung ho' and 'holy' when they're just faking it.

The Bible says to go to church, but it also says 'The Lord detests lying lips, but rejoices in those who are truthful' (Proverbs 12:22) There aren't a ton of churches out there that preach EXACTLY what Jesus said.

THAT is why he is grouping the church and false christians together. There are many a church out there full of them. Lukewarm christians are everywhere, and we need to stop it.

Second, and back to what I mentioned before, what is he going to do about those practitioners of false religion? Are we not commanded to treat them the same way we would treat other non Christians? I wonder how many often Bethke and those like him would share the truth of salvation through grace alone with some one who claimed to be an atheist, in a loving manner, but then go on to treat a false christian with hate.

I understand what you're talking about here. We are commanded to treat them the same way, but we don't. And I don't understand why we don't.

I have sinned against a holy and righteous God. I deserve the punishment of eternal death. Yet God planned, set in motion, and ordained my salvation through the death of Christ on the cross. because he has done that, I rejoice, I give thanks, and I devote my life to serving Him, dare I say, Religiously.

Back