Thursday 22 June, 2017

ursen

Officer SOE/LoE/Where's "here"?
Psalm 1:1-6
1:1 Happy are those who do not follow the advice of the wicked, or take the path that sinners tread, or sit in the seat of scoffers;
1:2 but their delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law they meditate day and night.
1:3 They are like trees planted by streams of water, which yield their fruit in its season, and their leaves do not wither. In all that they do, they prosper.
1:4 The wicked are not so, but are like chaff that the wind drives away.
1:5 Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous;
1:6 for the LORD watches over the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish.
Do your remember I was talking about a dry spell a few days ago? Well I ran into this today, thought you might be interested.

Daily Devotional
Choose a Devotional:
calendar.gif
Archives

Deep Roots
Thursday, June 22nd, 2017

Read Psalm 1:1-6

View the May-June, 2017 Issue
Those who do not follow the advice of the wicked . . . are like trees planted by streams of water, which yield their fruit in its season, and their leaves do not wither. In all that they do, they prosper.

- Psalm 1:1, 3 (NRSV)

We recently spent some time living in the mountains of Boquete, Panama. The climate there is called Eternal Spring because there are no distinct seasons. The temperature remains virtually the same all year long. Our seasons are simply defined as dry or rainy. Though a few trees and plants do not survive the dry season in Panama, most return to their beautiful greens in the rainy season. Others, having deep roots, never change and give forth blooms of every color imaginable all year long.

So it is in our spiritual lives. Dry times may come — times when we do not feel the love and closeness of the Lord. But our faith is strengthened when we are deeply rooted in scripture and prayer. We can rest in the hope that the dry times will be followed soon by seasons of God’s overflowing abundance.

See a photo of Susana in Panama.

Read more from the author, here.

The Author
Susana M. Allen (Jalisco, Mexico)
Thought for the Day

I can deepen the roots of my faith by reading the Bible.

Prayer
Dear God, thank you for scripture that reminds us of your love and deepens our faith in you. Amen.

Prayer focusSomeone experiencing a “dry season”

Back