Tips/Exercises in Improving Accuracy and Dodging?

Omega Amen

Other than playing with you guys a lot, are there any tips or exercises I can do to improve my aiming accuracy? While I feel I am slowly getting better in anticipating players' movements, I am still not aiming where I really want, particularly in a firefight.

Also, is there any method in effective dodging? Right now, I am just trying to be random in my dodging movements, but I am wondering if that results in a lot of wasted effort.

If you want tips you may wish to search though Kranic's old posts in the forums as he is the resident pro at Unreal.

On accuracy one can lower the mouse sensitivity which will give a finer aim but requires broader movements of the mouse. I used to play Unreal 2004 that way but went back to the default settings on Unreal 3. I don't play a lot anymore and it requires a lot of practice to adjust yourself to lower settings.

You can also practice against bots offline to get your dodging and aiming down but it's rather boring.

I would agree with MG, Kraniac aka Landslide has helped many, the best way is Practice, I have noticed that some bots react faster than others, I had one yesterday and the Bot was so fast I thought the BOT was using a speed cheat, lol. Learning to anticipate your opponents moves depends on your knowledge of the map and your opponents possible reactions to that scenario, that once again goes back to practice, but real opponents are better than Bots, as for firefights, it is dependent upon your armor and your weapon of choice, You have a Great Ping to our server so with practice [like go through a game against a bot using nothing but a Sniper rifle for example, or any weapon you wish to improve on] your aim will improve, and talk to other players from toj in game, we are always willing to help, cya soon :)

Last edited:
I would recommend playing some Instagib against the computer to improve your aim. For dodging turn the bot skill up and just get in and dodge and try not to die :D.

Here's something that our resident UT guru [FDG]Sundae told me that helped a lot.

Pull back from the game. You're not a guy running around in a futuristic landscape trying to shoot a guy with a shock rifle before he hits you with a rocket.

You're pointing a cursor at a spot on the screen and clicking.

That's all. Not aiming, not worried about life or death. Point and click. Easy!

It sounds silly, but try it and see if your aim doesn't improve. Mine did!

Here's something that our resident UT guru [FDG]Sundae told me that helped a lot.

Pull back from the game. You're not a guy running around in a futuristic landscape trying to shoot a guy with a shock rifle before he hits you with a rocket.

You're pointing a cursor at a spot on the screen and clicking.

That's all. Not aiming, not worried about life or death. Point and click. Easy!

It sounds silly, but try it and see if your aim doesn't improve. Mine did!

In a slower paced Shooter like TF 2 that is possible, but in UT 3 the action is so intense that I know this method would not work for me because I immerse myself into the game, yes it is just a screen but when you are getting Blobbed from a Goo gun from the right and Hit from a Flak cannon in front of you, oh don't forget the guy between the door 1 level up shooting his shock combo at all 3, hmm no not for me :eek:
But you all are very Welcome to join us in a DM match to explain, at the same time we could have some fun and get some practice in :)

Last edited:
I first applied this technique to UT and saw my shock/LG accuracy go up about 10%. I never hit over 30% regularly like some guys can do, but I went from mid teens to mid twenties in about a month of doing this. Helps to be able to hit shock/lg instead of spamming rockets and flak alt at people across maps like Grendelkeep.

Back