ToJ Fight Club

Kendrik

Staff member
Soooooo... we've been talking about having regular fighting game nights in a couple of thread, so I thought to myself, "Hey, Self, it's me; y'know... you. Why not create a thread to help get a little structure set up fighting game nights?"

So, here's that thread. :p

Previously, we were shooting to have PSN nights on Thusrday and/or Saturday. Since those were the days that seemed doable for the most people, and since we're not necessarily doing much on those days at the moment, I suggested that we utilize Thursday nights for fighting games.

I'd love to see this become a regular occurrence with a rotating schedule of games to be played. For now, though, the best bet seems to be rolling with Tekken 6 and/or Soulcalibur IV since those of us most actively talking about gaming together at the moment have these games in common.

Soooooo... tomorrow night (Thursday night), I'm gonna do what I can to be online and ready to play SCIV or T6. If we can get a little momentum going, I think things could progress nicely over time. Just gotta get things started.

Soyeahandstuff. Hope to see some of you tomorrow.

I mean, Tek and I just played some T6 together, and that was pretty cool. I've spent like... the last week straight playing Scenario Campaign where short and basic combination punches get you through with ease. Had a hard time actually fighting instead of just mashing like I would in the other mode. Oops.

Erg. Meant to be online last night. Fell asleep instead. Sorry. Is there a day other than Thursday that would be better for this?

I'll probably play some Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix with my wife later tonight. After we're finished, if people are still on and interested, I'd probably be up for a few matches of Soul Calibur IV, Super Street Fighter IV, or Tekken 6.

So....first rule of CGA fight club is that there is no CGA fight club? Got it.

So....first rule of CGA fight club is that there is no CGA fight club? Got it.
Nah, son. First rule of ToJ Fight Club is that you don't talk about ToJ Fight Club. :p

Also. Gonna try and get my PS3 set up in the other room so I can be good to go at around 7PM PST. Late notice, but hope to see some of you online in a bit. Feelin' Tekken right now, but I'm open to change. :p

Edit: Set up. Online. Should be good to go. I'ma play some Tekken. Hope to see some of youse online.

Last edited:
Edit: Set up. Online. Should be good to go. I'ma play some Tekken. Hope to see some of youse online.
Good times tonight.

Lag was pretty awful in Soul Calibur IV, so we switched to Super Street Fighter IV, where the lag was still noticeable but the netcode seems to handle it better. I'm not sure how many rounds we played, but Kendrik won most. I didn't mind...until I lost a fight as Juri.

/singletear

In related news, I think I might consider Guy and Rose as secondary characters. Both are powerful AND fun to play. Not as cool as Juri, granted, but still awesome in their own ways.

I heart Rose. She's my favorite. I just wanted to play the field tonight.

As for lag, it was particularly brutal for me when playing as Akuma. His links are extremely time sensitive, so... yeah. Aside from that, it was playable but definitely shy of perfect. I think being on wireless internet definitely hurt. That's the side effect of moving the system away from its home location, I guess.

Good games and fun times. Hope the rest of y'alls show up sometime in the future. Thinking Wednesday or Friday next week since Thursday is Thanksgiving and all. Any preference?

I heart Rose. She's my favorite. I just wanted to play the field tonight.
Rose is indeed awesome. Juri is built for offense where Rose seems more balanced between offense and defense. I'll be sticking to Juri as my main, but Rose would make a great secondary character.

As for lag, it was particularly brutal for me when playing as Akuma. His links are extremely time sensitive, so... yeah. Aside from that, it was playable but definitely shy of perfect.
You still seemed to fare pretty well as Akuma. But I know what you mean. There were a few rounds where I just could NOT execute the special moves, no matter how hard I tried. (C.Viper gave me the most trouble.)

I think being on wireless internet definitely hurt. That's the side effect of moving the system away from its home location, I guess.
I think it has more to do with you living on the west coast (if I remember correctly) and me living in the Midwest. A weak wireless signal tends to result in choke and sporadic interruptions more often than lag.

Good games and fun times. Hope the rest of y'alls show up sometime in the future. Thinking Wednesday or Friday next week since Thursday is Thanksgiving and all. Any preference?
I'll be shooting zombies during Left 4 Wednesday next week and I may be joining my wife and her family for Black Friday evening shopping (ugh), so I don't know if I'd make either of those times.

As we approach late November and December, we may have to cancel a few game nights before early to mid-January rolls around.

'Tis the nature of online communities. I don't expect to get much done on the staff side until the second week of January.

/bump

My recent acquisition of a FightStick SE (and pending plans to upgrade said FightStick with Sanwa parts at the first available opportunity) has renewed my interest in fighting games.

I own Super Street Fighter IV, Soul Calibur IV, and Tekken 6. If you're interested in playing any or all of these games, please post a reply!

Do you need a different controller to play these games?
It's not required, but it's recommended.

People with more expendable income than me (read: most of the US) who enjoy fighting games could justify dropping $100 at once on a FightStick TE (Tournament Edition) when it goes on sale, but I couldn't. I could, however, justify $20 for the base stick as an impulse purchase and roughly $50-55 for the upgrades as funds are available.

Man, I would totally play some of that new Mortal Kombat with people. Now there's a fun (and reasonably easy to play) fighter. But alas, the parents say no. :p

I will work on getting the updated BlazBlue though. >.>

I will work on getting the updated BlazBlue though. >.>
I plan on picking up BlazBlue Continuum Shift at some point, but I figured that, at this point, I might as well wait for a re-release with the Continuum Shift II DLC packed in.

/bump

I'm getting ready to order my Sanwa buttons and Seimitsu bubble top (it's like a ball top but SHINIER) soon, so I'm itchin' to play some fighting games online. I have Super Street Fighter IV (no AE DLC and no intention to buy AE DLC as long as it's $15), Soulcalibur IV, and Tekken 6.

The next time I pick up a $20 PSN card (I doubt I'll be buying anything with a credit card on PSN ever again), I may pick up Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix, too.

I played some matches with local players today, picked up some great tips, and had fun.

Now that my FightStick SE mod is complete (and it's a terrific-looking stick, if I do say so myself), I'm planning on playing more online and improving with Chun Li (main) and Akuma (alt).

If anyone's looking to spar in SSFIV (I don't have the AE DLC and I don't plan on buying it until it goes on sale for or drops to $10), send me a message any time you see me on PSN. Or post a reply here. Or do both.

Glad you got to play some locals! I'll hit you up once I decide to pick up Super again. I'm just having too much fun with Mahvel right now... and plan to pick up 3sOE when it drops.

Back