Torchlight 2 Announcment - Online Co-op and More, Spring 2011

I loved the game play of Torchlight, until I shift-clicked some gold guns while at a merchant... Haven't played since... =\

But then I stumbled on to this, and I was very disappointed in Runic Games. I don't think I'll be buying any of their stuff anymore. Flying Spaghetti Monster alongside lack of the buyback... I'm not happy with their game anymore.

Just thought I'd pass this along for you folks to see. They added this item in game [Torchlight] as an easter egg. For those of you that don't know, it's a reference to "The Flying Spaghetti Monster." I dunno... Any company that can add this to their game obviously has quite a big chip on their shoulder...

swordofadam.jpg

Notice the "Resistance to Logic" and "Emotional Damage". I am not amused.

Runic Staff commented, and let me know the background about the sword. It's the community talking about the FSM, while Runic says it's their employee.

JBeck said:
The Sword of Adam (Sort of Adam) is our Technical Artist's easter egg item.
His name is Adam Perin.
He says weird and funny things. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3zeKpq5MX8
He has been known to 'noodle arm' when excited. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuXmB0MIEfM
He voiced the little quips that the sword says while playing.
It's all for fun.
I think much is being read into this, but if you knew Adam it would all make sense :)

Okay, so TL2 still may merit looking into. as long as they provided a buyback option....

Runic Staff commented, and let me know the background about the sword. It's the community talking about the FSM, while Runic says it's their employee.
I was about to say that I vaguely recall that being an inside joke in their company.
Strife412 said:
Okay, so TL2 still may merit looking into. as long as they provided a buyback option....
I would like buyback as well, but I accidentally sold some stuff and found that to be of little consequence in playing the game. Getting better, higher-level loot was fairly easy and relatively quick.

Plus there are mods that tweak the drop rates, buying/selling prices, etc. If you haven't already, search for Torchleech, which is a mod installation program that makes installing and searching for mods a breeze.

Speaking of which, I am glad to see they will still allow modding and map editing for Torchlight 2. Making that easy for online friends to download and enable in joining a co-op game can make this iteration have a lot of replay value.

I love the notion that TL2 will have multiplayer and will have zones that are situated outside of some dungeon.

The only complaint I have about TL1 is that it got repetitive very quickly.

The only complaint I have about TL1 is that it got repetitive very quickly.
Isn't saying a dungeon crawler got repetitive very quickly like complaining that Mario games don't feature space marines?

Just sayin'.

The storyline was terrible, quests were plain, the dungeons were boring and only one town?

They could have done so much more, yet they left it boring.

It's a fantastic $5 game, its a good $10 game but I cant bring myself to spend more than $10 on it. I was expecting more... something like NWN.

Also, The Escapist (Zero Punctuation) said that the game is repetitive and filled with busy work... which is true (you have to identify most of what you find?) and that its good because its so cheap.

Not saying the game is bad... its great fun for me in short bursts. It just isn't the most inventive game out there.

Last edited:
The storyline was terrible, quests were plain, the dungeons were boring and only one town?

Wait, Torchlight had a storyline? I thought it was all about going down randomly generated levels, killing random monsters and taking their stuff to either sell or use...

I guess I'm too easily entertained by that to notice or care about the mentioned deficiencies. Which means Torchlight2 will probably be the death of me. o_O

Well, that should be alleviated in the sequel. Quoting from PCGamer interview:

Travis Baldree said:
In Torchlight it’s very much: you go down. There’s not much opportunity for branching, apart from a few side quests you can access in the town. In Torchlight 2, once you head out into the outdoors and the wilderness, there’s more opportunities to take side paths and to go and explore areas that are not required. We actually hired a writer this time out, so we’re endeavouring to have a coherent narrative, and to work that more into the quests that you’re undertaking.

Odale said:
They were a startup company of 20 people who had to sometimes work for weeks without pay in finishing a game from scratch within 11 months. Honestly, I am impressed considering their lack of resources. This ain't Bioware.

Odale said:
I was expecting more... something like NWN.
Wow. Talk about having the wrong type of expectations. You should have been expecting a simplified Diablo-clone game. Not NWN. NWN is nothing like this type of subgenre of action-RPGs. You want NWN-like? Play Dragon Age.

Last edited:
I got the TL itch last night, reinstalled and enjoyed it.

Was thinking of going Arbiter though (ranged Trap girl), that any good? Not liking the magic user too much. :/

[...]

Not saying the game is bad... its great fun for me in short bursts. It just isn't the most inventive game out there.
Then you'd likely love Soma Bringer.

Don't complain to Runic Games. Complain to Nintendo that they're not localizing and publishing Soma Bringer in North America.

I got the TL itch last night, reinstalled and enjoyed it.

Was thinking of going Arbiter though (ranged Trap girl), that any good? Not liking the magic user too much. :/

I <3 crazy minion master as an Alchemist. It was almost comical to see all my little dudes go crazy on the enemies. You get a veritable army at higher levels.

As for Vanquisher, I went the Marksman/Rogue route. Never really tried traps. She had one of my favorite armor sets in the game. Obligatory Screen

TL is like a billion times better with mods. I wouldn't even play anymore w/o my mods.

I am currently using Torchleech to manage the mods, its fantastic. I have over 15 mods I run regularly and you unlock a bunch of achievements for using more then 10.

here is my current list, I recommend all of them:

The best and most important is Torchlightcam. TorchlightCam is a stand alone application to enable camera control in latest Torchlight

The Demonologist class is a fantastic class, I like it so much better then the vanilla classes.

(mod links provided by torch leech, they might not all work but you can load from torchleech)
Always Identified Except Uniques
Asmodeo's Demonologist
Asmodeo's Demonologist Merchant
Asmodeo's Demonologist Skills
Arithmancy: A Transmutation Overhaul
Geomancy
Thaumaturgy
Merchant Pack
Potions Stacksize Mod
Small Font
SSSTorchlightTextures
Total Respec Mod

adding things like better stack sizes, smaller fonts, respecs, not having to identify...wow, really improves the game IMO. The texture mod is just beautiful and the camera is.....mandatory.

Last edited:
And the "respec" potion mod. A must have for noobers like me who like to change builds.

Back